It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2001, 07:26 AM   #1

Dawnsha HB User
Question Lying and Adult ADD

My husband was diagnosed with adult ADD about 2 years ago.. He lived his whole life not knowing what was wrong with him. We started going for marriage counseling because of his violent outbursts and because of his lying and then denying that he lied, (then getting angry - a vicious cycle). The therapist suspected so he gave my husband a test (MMPG - something like that...) and it showed a strong indication towards ADD, and after hearing about his childhood problems, it was almost an 99% ADD diagnosis. My husband was then placed on Wellbutrin. He seems to do better with the temper outbursts, but still has problems with the apparent "lying".. Which I've found to be more of an inability to recall facts and things done or said, thus it seems like he's "lying".. However, there have been some times when he has outright LIED, knowing full well that he was and not caring about the consequences (i.e., I threatened to leave).. Anybody else have experience with ADD and lying??

The Following User Says Thank You to Dawnsha For This Useful Post:
aloksadhna (09-23-2012)
Old 06-01-2001, 10:47 AM   #2

forsure HB User
Yes, my son is 10 and has we have suspected since he was 4, that he was ADHD, he has been on medication since the age of 6. Without his medication, Adderall, we would catch him doing something and he would lie about it. If you asked him why he did something he would not even seem to remember doing or saying what he did. He honestly did not remember doing the "deed". We came to the conclusion, and I have done some reading about ADHD that supports this, that their minds and bodies go at such a fast pace, they do not remember what they did 2 seconds ago, because their mind is already 5 minutes ahead of that,(racing). I hope this makes sense and I strongly believe after seeing my son and other ADHD kids behavior, that they do not remember having done things. By the way, my son does not have this problem when on his medication, it slows him down and makes him behave more normally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2001, 11:54 AM   #3

Dawnsha HB User
Wow, that's incredible. I thought my husband was the a "unique" case. So you think the combination of lying when caught, and not being able to remember after the fact are two different things(?) Because if you really can't remember what happened, or remember incorrectly what happened, you aren't really LYING about it...
My husband's poor mother - she still to this day thinks he's the worst person alive. She -to this day-doesn't know he has ADD. They are such backwards, ignorant people, they wouldn't know what it was, and wouldn't believe it even if I explained it to them.

Thank you for your response. I wonder if the Adderall would be better for my husband than the Wellbutrin??

Old 06-02-2001, 06:09 AM   #4

BluEyes966 HB User
Cool

I have a 16 yr old daughter whom we are going through counseling with for a number of problems. Counselor suggested she carried ADHD and sent us for a mental evaluation. We are still going through that process and she hasn't been diagnosed yet. For years she would lie to us even when we caught her in the act. She lies about everything under the sun even minor things. It's to the point we don't know what to believe anymore. Her father carries ADHD, been in and out of prison all his adult life and I see his traits in my daughter. Her half sister also has ADHD and has just been diagnosed a few months ago. More and more everyday we see the symptoms in her and I pray help is around the corner. Is there something that can help these people to stop lying?

Closed Thread