It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2001, 09:17 PM   #1

mxb_home HB User
Question Adderall and extreme loss of appetite

I have been diagnosed with adult ADD (34 years old) and first given Concerta. My appetite seized to exist. I lost weight and never felt hungry. I called my Dr. and he switched me to Adderall. 18mg 3x/day. The problem still exists, and I have resorted to using the blender to liquify foods so that I could just drink them. I feel now that I am losing too much weight, and feel terrible. I can no longer continue like this as my health is suffering immensely. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2001, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to go back to the doctor so he can check your weight and make a decision if the medication is causing your anorexia or if maybe there is some other cause for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2001, 11:22 AM   #3

flicka HB User
I also had appetite side effects with
Adderal, but it gradually got better. In the several years since I've been diagnosed, I've tried adderal, dexedrine, and ritalin. All affect my appetite to some extent, but some work better on my ADD than others. I'm currently taking a dexedrine/adderal combination, but a lower dose than when I started. Make sure your doctor is familiar with treating ADD, and don't be afraid to try different things.

Old 05-07-2001, 10:53 PM   #4

mxb_home HB User
Angry

I appreciate the responses, but I just moved to Florida and have to find a new doctor. Sometimes I just feel that they are trying whatever the latest, newest drug is and using me as a guinea pig. The same thing
happened with Concentra. If anyone knows of any good doctors in Florida (Fort Lauderdale), please let me know. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2001, 07:41 PM   #5

Alexandra32 HB User
MXB, hi.. I also was not diagnosed with ADHD until I became an adult. I was 29 yrs. old (now 32) and went on Adderall soon after I found out. I have to say, Adderall has helped me tremendously. I have much more self-confidence, I'm way more independent, and for the first time in my life I felt comfortable socially. Before I started the adderall, it was virtually impossible to finish any task I would start..(which sometimes I still have problems with but not nearly as much)I know you posted a couple of weeks ago about the decrease in your appetite.. but if you haven't stopped yet, I would suggest that you always eat breakfast in the morning before taking your Adderall. I have been on it for several years now it does not interfere with my appetite at all anymore.. I wish you luck!

Old 05-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If the medication is affecting your appitite then by all means be sure you eat before you take your medication. You are an adult and know when meal time is so make it a point to eat normal meals at the regular time. I am not ADD but take Zoloft for other problems and had the terrible side effect at first with no appitite but becuase I am an adult I just plain made my self eat whether I was hungry or not. When you do decide on a new doctor let him know immediately if the anorexia hasn't lightened up. In the mean time start eating on schedule and add a good multivitamin daily. You might also want to try some Ensure supplement between meals to help maintain your weight.

Old 05-19-2001, 12:02 PM   #7

Kennedy HB User
Flicka....How do you find the dexedrine?I was on it before becoming pregnant and took one a day 25 mg I think and it stopped working after abut the 3rd day?How is the other one different?My doctor actually used ritalin and dexedrine for weightloss at the same time also for my ADD.

Old 05-23-2001, 12:26 AM   #8

mxb_home HB User
RE: mlgable's comment

I do realize that people have to eat, and I am fully aware of what time it is. Prior to Adderall, this was not an issue. That is the basic point I'm trying to make.

I am now able to eat in the morning before taking the meds with no problem. All is well until lunch when my appetite is nowhere to be found.

Have you ever tried eating crackers with a dry mouth and no water. It's not easy, and that is what it feels like. I have to chew 10 times more than normal, and still my throat muscles remain locked shut. Swallowing is no longer an involuntary movement for me. I actually have to work on forcing my throat muscles to retract and respond.

It does help if I swish some water around to help the food go down, but who wants to deal with that for every bite they take.

Maybe I will get past this as I continue treatment. I do appreciate everyone's comments, I am just frustrated that there is alwasy a trade off when dealing with meds.

------------------

Old 06-19-2001, 05:03 PM   #9

tara-anne HB User
I found out a year ago that I have ADD, I am now 26 and about 5o pounds lighter. I find that dexatrine and Ritalin both cause problems with your eating habits. One way I have learned to deal with this is by being active which will quicken your metabolism, causing you to need more food for energy.

Old 06-19-2001, 06:32 PM   #10

monkey5472 HB User
Question

Hi All,
Can I ask you all a question? When did this appetite problem and weight loss start? I have been trying to lose some weight, and was also just diagnosed with ADD. I have been on Ritalin for a month, and have not lost a stinkin pound. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif Figures... I also could not lose weight at Weight Watchers, Fit America and even taking Stacker 2. I guess I am special...

Closed Thread