It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2001, 06:59 PM   #1

nymitch325 HB User
Question twitching

My 9 year old son has been using ritalin successfully for the past 2 years. i have noticed that he has recently started twitching his facial muscles. i believe this to be a side effect of the ritalin. his mother believes that he is a bit bothered by his eyeglasses and that he is trying to adjust them without his hands. i have noticed him doing this though even when he is not wearing his glasses. has anyone else experienced anything like this? I also wanted to know if it was better to only have him on ritalin while he is in school and let him learn to deal with his disorder in a more casual setting without medication, or would he better off medicated throughout the day? i usually don't medicate him while we are at home unless he is having a really "bad" ADHD day. Thank you...Mitch

[This message has been edited by nymitch325 (edited 07-07-2001).]

Old 07-08-2001, 06:42 PM   #2

laf36 HB User
our son is almost 6 and we just started meds about a month ago. He started on Ritalin and he got a really pronounced eye twitch after about 2 weeks, then we switched to Adderall and he cried and was sad for about 2 hours of each day, then we tried Dexadrine, which is when he started twitching his eyes, raising his eyebrows and shoulders and constantly toching his head. We are now on the 9th day of a trial with Tenex and he is still twitching. My doctor told me that some children can not tolerate stimulants because they can cause tics for some. Trust your instincts, if your son is doing it a lot at all different times, you should absolutely tell your doctor. The tics are really freaking us out. Hope your get resolved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2001, 08:51 PM   #3

laf36 HB User
The tics could still be from the Ritalin. Our son has been off of a stimulant for 2 weeks and is still having the tics. As I mentioned, our son is now trying Tenex since the stimulants gave him tics and this medication is actually used to treat tics. I do not know anything about Tourettes.

Old 07-14-2001, 08:30 AM   #4

allyah HB User
If he has gone a few days without taking it, that could be why. Twitching is a side effect from withdrawling from anything that contains methanphetimines.

Old 07-14-2001, 08:12 PM   #5

annod HB User
My son was on Adderall from the age of 6 to 10. It always gave him mild tic's. It was usually prounounced blinking once in awhile or shaking his head like he was trying to get his hair out of his eyes. It took a month and a half after he quit the adderal for the tics to disappear. He started concerta after that and no tics were evident in the last part of school. Of course he doesn't taken any medicine during the summer so there are no tics now. Check with your doctor to be on the safe side or look for someone with a lot of experience with tourettes in your area.
Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2001, 01:25 PM   #6

nymitch325 HB User
My son has not taken any meds since school ended almost a month ago. i still notice the facial tics an a cosistent basis although like anything else, some days are better than others. i noticed yesterday that it was one of the best days i have ever seen him with almost no sign of ADHD, or muscle tics. Can i attribute that to the foods he ate the day before? or the amount of sleep he had? If anyone could shed some light i would appreciate it.
thanks Mitch

Closed Thread