It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2001, 12:59 PM   #1
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
Question So tired on Concerta (Extended release ritalin) - why???

I am on 54mg of Concerta each morning, then I am supposed to take a Ritalin at 4pm to counteract a crash. Since I have been taking this stuff, I am exaughsted all the time and spaced out. Its a stimulant so why is this happening? I was diagnosed with Adult ADD, non hyperactivity. I am 27 yrs old. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2001, 07:04 PM   #2

shesadd HB User
I've recently started taking Metadate CD (time release) I'm in the beginning stages of my research on add and adults with add, so I'm not sure if Concerta and Metadate are the same, but I noticed that same thing. It went away.
I'm keeping a little journal and tracking my responses as best as I can.
I don't know if my dosage is high enough? My doctor has given me some different options to try, with both Metadate and Ritalin. How did you arrive at your dosage? Is it helping? I noticed a difference and felt a difference right away. In the last two weeks i've accomplished more than I had in the last year.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2001, 08:36 PM   #3
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
Well we started at 18mg and it didnt do anything, then up to 36 with 5mg of ritalin at 4om to make it so i wouldnt crash while i was at work...well i totally abused the ritalin because they make me high, like speed. So I cant take those. Concerta just makes me spacey and makes me look strung out. I have taken Adderall and Dexedrine before and those didnt work. The only thing that works to really make me concentrate is ritalin - but then again, the only reason for that is that its pure speed, ya know? I dont know - I just dont think meds are the answer for me.

Old 11-14-2001, 09:05 AM   #4

skeeter HB User
My son was diagnosed with adhd when he was 3..and was put on ritilan. He suffered sever side affects from this including tardive disconezia (tremors of hands, and tounge movement) we took him off(or I did) and started concerta. He was always tired, very aggressive, and stayed in an agitated state. This medication made him alot worse. The public school gave me a terrible time when I dicided to take him off of all medication, and told me he would be considered a "problem child" I have since taken him out of school. I now home school him, and he is off ALL meds. and is doing great. Think about this please anyone who is on meds. for add/adhd. Medications are not the answer for everything, and can possibly make things alot worse. The very things these types of medications are suppose to help...are the very same side affects caused from these types of meds. I would hate anyyone to have to go througgh what my son did. He was lost for a long time...now I have him back...the smiles, the sparkle in his eyes...the self confidence that was stripped from him due to being zoned out all the time. I will NEVER go back to any of these meds...or any others...find out all you can..research these medications with an open mind, and then ask yourself how it is possible for it to really help.

Old 11-14-2001, 10:44 AM   #5

S Elliott HB User
Kids all over the country take Ritalin to relieve symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). But the drug may trigger brain changes that remain after the child quits taking the drug, according to a study being presented at this week's annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience.

Doctors have always considered the drug to be short acting, meaning that once it worked its way through the child's system, it was gone. This new study involving mice shows changes similar to those that occur with other stimulant drugs.

But experts say the evidence is too preliminary to draw any conclusions -- or to take your child off Ritalin. "I don't see any clear evidence for long-lasting changes in brain function," says James McCracken, MD, director of child and adolescent psychiatry at UCLA, after reviewing the study for *****.

Researchers have long known that Ritalin acts in the brain much like cocaine and amphetamines, says study author Ashley Acheson, a researcher in psychology at the University of Buffalo. "It's the same basic pattern." However, they have not thought there were any lasting effects after the drug is out of a child or adult's system.

In his study, he gave one group of young rats sweetened milk containing a relatively high dose of Ritalin. The dose and time of day of the rats' treatment was comparable to a child's dosing schedule. The other group was given plain sweetened milk. After 90 minutes, researchers analyzed the rats' brains.

Acheson found that certain brain cell genes called 'immediate early genes' were switched on, and that action caused changes in some aspects of nerve cell function. Amphetamines and cocaine both cause similar gene changes in areas of the brain that control movement and motivation.

However, his findings "don't mean this drug is bad," Acheson tells *****. "When [Ritalin] is prescribed, it's seems to be very safe, with low potential for abuse. All indications are that when it's used as prescribed, it's a very safe and effective drug."

However, the study does suggest the drug "may have some effects that last longer than the therapeutic actions," says Acheson. "We really don't know what those are, and by no means do we know if those changes are bad."

Many herbalist is of the opinion that Essential Fatty Acids and Calcium and a parasitic cleanse should be used as an alternative to meds.

[This message has been edited by S Elliott (edited 11-14-2001).]

Old 11-28-2001, 01:46 AM   #6

Karin3773Bob HB User
Exclamation

So Ritalin works for you? Please clarify for me. After speaking with two differenet doctors regarding my son who is being taken off riatin due to abuse. The docs recommended adderall but informed me adderall is far more dangerous for abuse. The compound of adderall is made up of three different amphetimines---hence, the cost. Wereas, ritalin was made of methamphetine and not as dangerous as the amphetimines used in Adderall. In addition, Ritalin's peek is high but short lived, contrary to Adderall that has longer lasting effects. (this is why the pill is only given once a day in most cases vs. ritalin taken sometimes three to four times a day) I am not a professional but from my research adderall and dexetrene (sp?) have far more speed than ritalin. correct me if I am work and please provide me with layman research. The research I have concluded supports my family doctor and my son's pschy doc. Thank you and becareful getting high on speed. That is what my son was doing with ritalin---snorting it. The doctor states snorting adderall is even more dangerous but not as popular with adolscents due to the cost of the drug.

<<The only thing that works to really make me concentrate is ritalin - but then again, the only reason for that is that its pure speed, ya know? I dont know - I just dont think meds are the answer for me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 12-06-2001, 08:49 AM   #7
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
I would be careful with Adderall....if he is snorting ritalin, thats bad...but if he snorts adderall it could be worse. Adderall is extended release, so there is more speed in each pill....crushing it up and snorting it means you get ALL the pill at once...and thats a lot of speed.
If he is abusing it, I dont think there is any version of ritalin that is going to help him. I would try to get him off of that type of drug before it starts a fire you cant put out.

Old 12-06-2001, 08:52 AM   #8
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
I would be careful with Adderall....if he is snorting ritalin, thats bad...but if he snorts adderall it could be worse. Adderall is extended release, so there is more speed in each pill....crushing it up and snorting it means you get ALL the pill at once...and thats a lot of speed.
If he is abusing it, I dont think there is any version of ritalin that is going to help him. I would try to get him off of that type of drug before it starts a fire you cant put out.

Closed Thread