It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2001, 09:38 AM   #1

Karin3773Bob HB User
Question My son caught abusing meds---ritalin vs adderall?

Although my 16-year-old son was monitored while taking his ritalin, he was caught snorting his medication. He has been on R for many years. The school nurse and his Doctor have suggested switching to adderall. Apparently the dose is usually given only once a day, reducing the potential of abuse and adderall is less popular with adolescents. We have locked our bedroom door to keep medication safe; however, dealing with an ADHD 16 year old locks don't help. What happens if he snorts Adderall? Is switching from R to A good? Also, what about SR Ritalin, states not to crush. Perhaps this is better than switching to Adderall. Confused and worried. Also, insurance does not pay for adderall---and it is very very expensive. I will pay for it if that is the solution to a serious problem. I don't want my son turning to street drugs to self-medicate. Can adderall be snorted? What happens if he snorts SR ritalin? He still can get meds from friends, I am sure. We, family and school nurse, watch him take his medication and in the past, we believe, he was keeping the meds in his mouth and later sniffing them with peers. Please help with suggestions. Thank you.

Old 10-09-2001, 03:04 PM   #2

alazay HB User
That is a serious problem. Adderall is sold on the streets to people who "abuse drugs" and that is how they usually tale it. Adderall works kind of like speed. When it is snorted it gets you high, kind of like snorting cocaine. These drugs are not meant to be snorted, thats abusing them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2001, 07:07 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Since your son is abusing drugs already that is not a real good sign. Yes a once a day medication might help and there are many once a day medications available including long acting Ritalin. The thing is if you son is already abusing drugs I am wondering if some counseling might not be a wise suggestion? Abusing drugs is serious and who knows what else he might be abusing already or in the future. I also think you should sit down and talk to him about all of this. He needs to know that you are there for him. Also you may want to consider telling him that if he is not going to use the medications prescribed for him properly you will no longer get his prescriptions filled for him. If he no longer has the medication he will either have to get it elsewhere to abuse it and if his school work starts to suffer he will wind up making a choice the hard way.........either use the medication as it was intented and be able to handle school or sink because of no medication. At 16 years of age he is old enough to understand all this so give him the choice of using it properly or quit supplying him with the medication. Be sure to inform his doctor that he is misusing the medication and if he needs help with his substance abuse then offer to get him all the help he needs. Hope some of this helps.

Old 12-11-2001, 03:01 AM   #4

frzled HB User
Red face

If your son is abusing his meds take him off them. That simple. Sounds like the meds he is on aren't right for him. I'm also taking a long stretch by asking if he has anyone he can trust to talk about his add symptoms and drug reactions with? I'm 25, recently diagnosed and the drugs are really hard for me to deal with. I also have a hard time dealing with never being accepted as I am naturally since being diagnosed. Ask yourself how you would like it if someone told you that you had to take medicine to be acccepted (medicine that makes you not act like yourself) Then to just deal with that internally. It has been enought for me to visit the bar on occassion and if I was a kid - I'd abuse the meds too. Hope you could read between the lines - talk to your son without blaming him (even if you think he is to blame)

Old 12-11-2001, 06:56 AM   #5
Inactive

P. Connell HB User
Arrow

Can you elaborate on how your son is abusing his medications?

Many young people with ADD, ADHD, bipolar and other brain illnesses self medicate with booze, illegal drugs, and other substances in an attempt to find some level of clarity and normalcy.

Is it possible that the medication that you give your son is not at a high enough therapeutic level to be affective and this is why he is being abusive with it...trying to get it to work better by increasing it's effect or changing the way it is taken? It might be worth discussing with him, and I'd sure be letting his doctor know what is going on.

It may be time to consider inpatient treatment for your child, where his symptoms can be watched more closely in a controlled environment...and if he is abusing other substances he can be weaned off them under a doctors supervision.

Have you considered that your child might not have ADHD at all? Do some research. There are excellent websites for parents of children with conduct disorders where you can get information on the entire spectrum of behavioral and attentional disorders and do a comparison.

Old 12-15-2001, 07:43 PM   #6

mkeller HB User
Cylert may be an alternative. It is taken once per day and cannot be abused (I am sure it has been tried).

Old 11-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

jenaca HB User
Re: My son caught abusing meds---ritalin vs adderall?

from someone who knows, i estimate 70 percent of teens with stimulant meds will be either selling them or abusing within time. if your son is snorting ritalin hes been doing this awhile. no he can't go back to useing them correctly. adderall is not not a good idea, most people i know would abuse that over ritalin any day. parents really have no idea about these meds. if you really want him on meds, try concerta. its not snort friendy, and it pales in comparasion to ritalin. if you are afraid he will start self medicating, you probably should be. this could go on for a long time, and really cause all sorts of problems. i started abusing adderall in my late teens and it started serious addiction cycles. im still struggling with it. you need to take care of this right now and agressively. there are some kids who abuse stimulants and are fine when the phase is over. but for some it continues. if your son is the latter the important thing is to stop it before it becomes intergrated into his self and abilities. ive subliminally taught myself i cant be productive without it. it stopped being about getting high years ago. this advice might be extreme for your case, i can't know. but this happens alot alot more than parents know. it always suprised me that most adults really had no idea how abusable these drugs are and how much kids abuse them. i could even tell you how much kids sell them for. 2 for 5. ok ill stop now. im only telling the secrets because it has screwed me up permanetly. i wish i never started. i moved on from every drug experiemented when younger but adderral torments me. i actually prefered it over cocaine. and no im not a screwed up loser. im actually an excellent artist attending college. most people would be surprised i had this problem.

Last edited by jenaca; 11-06-2005 at 12:41 PM.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenaca
from someone who knows, i estimate 70 percent of teens with stimulant meds will be either selling them or abusing within time. if your son is snorting ritalin hes been doing this awhile. no he can't go back to useing them correctly. adderall is not not a good idea, most people i know would abuse that over ritalin any day. parents really have no idea about these meds. if you really want him on meds, try concerta. its not snort friendy, and it pales in comparasion to ritalin. if you are afraid he will start self medicating, you probably should be. this could go on for a long time, and really cause all sorts of problems. i started abusing adderall in my late teens and it started serious addiction cycles. im still struggling with it. you need to take care of this right now and agressively. there are some kids who abuse stimulants and are fine when the phase is over. but for some it continues. if your son is the latter the important thing is to stop it before it becomes intergrated into his self and abilities. ive subliminally taught myself i cant be productive without it. it stopped being about getting high years ago. this advice might be extreme for your case, i can't know. but this happens alot alot more than parents know. it always suprised me that most adults really had no idea how abusable these drugs are and how much kids abuse them. i could even tell you how much kids sell them for. 2 for 5. ok ill stop now. im only telling the secrets because it has screwed me up permanetly. i wish i never started. i moved on from every drug experiemented when younger but adderral torments me. i actually prefered it over cocaine. and no im not a screwed up loser. im actually an excellent artist attending college. most people would be surprised i had this problem.
Of course you are not a loser. Years of amphetamines for ADD could easily tempt a teen, who might have become tolerant and thus never quite feels right even on the med, to experiment for a bit of better feeling or simply to make the med more effective so they can be "normal" again.

You know, most in the medical field feel taking ADD meds in childhood will stop a teen from taking illegal drugs(aka self-medicate) but obviously seeing this thread one realizes that's not necessarily true now, is it?

I'm one who believes it can increase, not decrease, the chances of that. For one thing, the brain becomes very dependant and tolerance buildup causes even the higher prescribed doses to not be effective and the brain itself by this time can't produce enough of the chemicals that makes it function normally on it's own anymore.

You no doubt were one of the many victims of psychiatric medications broken promises..

But in time, the brain can rebuild alot of it's neurotransmitters so recovery is always possible.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
Inactive

agentbad HB User

i live on a college campus and you wanna know what i see kids take lines off almost every weekend....adderall. remember your son is only 16 years old so he's not just gonna wake up tom and know how to deal with what he has. take him off the meds and see what happens.

Closed Thread