It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2002, 09:10 PM   #1

Methodman HB User
Post ADDERALL !EUPHORIA! - How can I keep it?

I've had the inattentive-type ADD symptoms as far as I can remember, and my family's problems-one being !DIVORCE!-which I will NOT go into depth, made overlooking my problems simple. I've always been somewhat of an outcast with a couple friends, and a low self-esteem, but always complimented by teachers as very creative and intelligent individual. I've always been interested in how things work; Always had my mind the mechanic/electronic field, since I was a tiny kid. I have never been the social type because of low self-esteem, and extreme social anxiety. The negatives that I have aforementioned have made my life, especially my childhood very depressing.

High school was HORRIBLE. I thought of committing suicide constantly, and often drew myself away from the people. Grades suffered because I could never keep my mind on one thing, especially something I disliked, for more than 20 minutes. My sophomore year in high school my biological mother had called my school to tell them that I needed to see the counselor because extreme signs of depression were prevalent to her. I only was allowed once visit before my step mom (my father had custody of me at the time) had restricted the school to continue my counseling. Depression…

My college experiences had introduced me to "RAVING", which itself isn't entirely a bad idea, except for the massive amounts of illegal drugs consumed, such as Ecstasy. I've "rolled" twice now, and can remember the extreme euphoria-as your serotonin rushes through your brain you experience, what ravers call PLUR, an acronym for "Peace, Love, Unity, Respect" It took me a couple times until I realized that this awesome ability to socialize with anyone I wanted, and feel like "YOU ARE THE *@#*" wasn't worth the hangover the next day, often called "sketching out" MDMA can also cause neuro-toxicity, which will scramble your serotonin, dopamine, among other important brain chemicals.

Finally (Thanks for reading this far), I was not diagnosed with ADD until I dropped out of college my freshman year, and seeked professional therapy. About a week ago, the 26th, I was prescribed 5mg pills of Adderall by my physician. I was in for a surprise.

Unknowing that Adderall is similar, and sometimes used as an alternative dance-drug, I popped my first 'hit', only the prescribed amount of 5mg, as soon as I got home. I WAS AMAZZZED! I felt almost as good, if not as GOOD, as I did when I took Ecstasy-except for the fact that I had an incredible ability to focus! I maintained this euphoric feeling for the first two days after I started medicating, but then once again I realized "Whatever comes up must come down." The coming down was horrible, but only lasted for a day and really didn't feel quite as bad as Ecstasy’s "day-after effect" I continued taking the medication, and the day after I felt a only the focus potential of the drug, but was quite irritable and moody, at one point almost suicidal.

The roller coaster is starting to get a little tiring, and I would like to know if there is a way I can maintain the euphoric-feeling permanently. I HAVE been taking my prescribed dosage, and wish for an explanation. Any and all comments, advice is welcome.

Everybody, including me, loves the Adderall euphoria I had experienced. HOW CAN I KEEP IT?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2002, 09:22 PM   #2

Methodman HB User
Question

Appendage to message...

5mg of Adderall, three times a day- 6:30, 1:30, 7:00

Adderall XR a better choice?
Would it be possible with a higher dosage?

Old 04-02-2002, 09:04 PM   #3

James_A HB User
I myself was first introduced to adderall in 1998. At that time it was available in 5 and 10 mg doses. I know that sometime in the middle of 2000 one of my friends had a 20 mg prescription for adderall. I'm not sure of the doses now, but i would probably recommend a 20 sustained release formula that acts over a 24 hour period. I'm not sure if its available but i would inquire with your doctor.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:05 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Since you are experiencing problems with the medication you need to update your doc and let him decide what the next step is. Maybe a different drug with work better for you without the bipolar type effect this drug has on you. Call your prescribing doc and let him know what is going on so they can decide what to do for you.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:27 AM   #5

James_A HB User
Just a thought, the feelings of Euphoria and severely depressive withdrawl are experienced by non-ADD people when using adderall. After all, adderall is basical just amphetamine and dextro-amphetamine (one step down from meth). I'm thinking your ADD case may have been mis-diagnosed. Generally if you had actuall clinical ADD, your would more than likely just experience a better clarity of thought, and maybe a slight feeling of contentment. You could possibly have some other neurological disorder that resembles ADD, but is chemically different. But hey if its working for you... its your own choice. But keep in mind, Amphetamine is highly addictive, all the problems with crystal meth also apply to Adderall. So unless you really have ADD, it could cause problems.

Adderall contains the follwing drugs in equal parts: AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE

[This message has been edited by James_A (edited 04-25-2002).]

Old 04-30-2002, 11:28 AM   #6

beckiebutler73 HB User
One of the side effects of adderall is irritabilty and mood swings..it just took a few days for the side effects to hit you..there is no way around that, we had to change my sons meds because of the irritablitly and mood swings, I do fine on adderall it does not effect me the same way at all...he does better on ritlian and concerta...maybe you should talk to your DR about changing your med to a differnt one..The same med is not gonna work for everyone.
BEckie

Old 04-30-2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
I've got ADD, and have only taken ritalin, but have taken other illicit narcotics like cocaine/crack/ecstacy etc, and i rarely get the euphoric feeling like most people. I just get an incredible ability to focus, and no matter where i am, even in the middle of a party or club, all i want to do is pick up a textbook and read.

If you are getting euphoric, then you've been misdiagnosed.

Old 05-01-2002, 03:23 PM   #8

rainbow32 HB User
Exclamation

Hey there methodman,

This is rather long, (please be prepared)

i must agree with the other respondents here! Taking stimulants for adult ADD/ADHD have nothing to do with feeling high. i also have to admit that when i first started Adderall three weeks ago for my ADHD, i felt slightly euphoric for a couple of days. However, it (euphoria) has pretty much wore off, as my body is adjusted to the "medication". That's right m-e-d-i-c-a-t-i-o-n!!! Not dope. It is important what our motive is to take these powerful drugs. Remember, they are C11-(class 2 controlled substance) and have a really high potential for abuse, even in those of us with ADD/ADHD. Personally, been there done that twelve years ago, except it was with methamphetamine, (extremely hard on body, esp w/ daily use!) so i really don't desire to feel "high" any longer!! Also, when any person uses medication such as Ritalin, Dexedrine, and Adderall for dope, they rapidly develop a tolerance to the drug. Same thing with painkillers and even alcohol. However, studies show that with proper use (instructions from doctor prescribing only) they are safe. Maybe you need a higher dose of Adderall, but trust me, don't do it on your own!!! WHy not be more open and honest with your doctor? What are you afraid of? He or she ought to raise the dose gradually anyhow! i take about 50-60 mg a day (as prescribed) But, everyone needs different amounts and has a different body! My husband only takes 22.5 mg a day and that is plenty for him!! As you can see, everyone is definitely different! i'm also concerned that you probably need an antidepressant/anti-anxiety med (in addition to stimulant) like Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, for your depression. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it. i take both an anti-depressant and Adderall. There's nothing wrong with taking such a thing!! Whatever you do, i hope that things improve for you soon, but be patient. It takes a lot of time and effort to find the right medicine, dose, and or combinations of medications!!! Hang in there!

Old 05-03-2002, 09:01 PM   #9

heddy HB User
Hi there,

This is my first post to this board - i'm afraid it's quite long, but please bear with me and if you lose interest or get overstimulated, come back to it later and read in little bursts :-)

i have not been using Meds for very long, however i am a voracious reader (my deficiencies are in the writing-area <grins&gt, so i would like to add some thoughts to those already expressed here. First of all, i agree with those who have said that your euphoria/crashing-experience sounds like the reaction of a person who may not, in fact, have ADD/HD, since those of us with ADD/HD don't normally experience any kind of "high" with the stimulant Meds (and as you may have read already, there are a number of other conditions which have similar symptomology). A couple of other possibilities could be that you do have ADD/HD, but either you just don't do well on Adderall, or you may have a co-morbid condition (like depression, or bi-polar, or anxiety disorder) that is affecting your response to stimulant medication. It certainly sounds like depression is a likely factor in your situation, which is common in people with ADD/HD.

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY: None of us on this list can stress emphatically enough to you, HOW CRUCIAL IT IS that you TELL YOUR DOCTOR about ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you have experienced while taking the Medication, no matter how unimportant some of it may seem, and no matter what else you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though Ritalin, Adderall, Dexadrine etc. are, overall, very safe drugs for people with ADD/HD, they should NOT be taken if they have the kinds of side-effects you have experienced!!! A friend of mine was diagnosed with ADD/HD and put on Ritalin, but did not get better until it was determined that he actually had bi-polar disorder and got on Depakote, wherupon the ADD/HD-like symptoms improved dramatically.

There are a number of medications that do wonderful things for those of us who struggle with these kinds of problems - Adderall is not the only option. i had a really unpleasant experience with Adderall, but Metadate has worked quite well. However, it's only been in the time since my Doctor switched my anti-depressant from Zoloft to Effexor, that my mind has really started functioning well. It turns out that Effexor works with the Dopamine and Norepinephrine pathways as well as with those involving Serotonin, so it has shown significant benefits for ADD/HD and Anxiety problems, as well as for Depression. It is also really important that - if at all possible - you find a Psychiatrist who specializes in Adult ADD AND related Disorders, so that you are dealing with someone who is really experienced and up-to-date on ALL the Medications out there, not just the popular ones like Ritalin and Adderall, Prozac and Zoloft.
Wellbutrin, Cyclert, Effexor, and several other Non-"Schedule 2" medications have helped people with ADD/HD who cannot or should not take stimulants, but many Doctors are unaware of them or do not know how to prescribe or monitor them correctly. Of course, this is also apallingly true when it comes to the stimulant Meds, as well.

If you're unable to find or afford a really good Psychiatrist, i would suggest you read "Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the Six Types of Attention Deficit Disorder" by Daniel Amen, M.D. Overall, it's not the book i would most-highly recommend, but i think it has the best information about Medications and Supplementation for ADD/HD and Co-Morbid Disorders (most experts in the field consider his "Type-3, -4, -5, and -6 ADD" to be other Disorders, not other types of ADD). While it's a bad idea to diagnose yourself, or to act like a know-it-all with your Doctor, it IS important that you have good information in order to be able to ask good questions about other possible alternatives.

Lastly, it seems that those people with ADD/HD who really are able to thrive, and have happy careers and stable relationships (or stable careers and happy relationships), are those who treat themselves Holistically - with professional counseling, coaching, good diet, exercise, and whatever else they find that helps them. Try everything (within reason) until you feel REALLy GOOD!!!

Hope you were able to hang in there, and got some helpful information out of it all :-) Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2002, 11:25 PM   #10

19and onAdderall HB User
TRUTH HERE!!!!!!!!!!THE aderall is making me, for a year know, a jekyll out of a hyde in terms of tolerance to responsibilities and in terms of the length of time i can remain willing and able.But their is between all of you merely a difference in opinion on the same truth. We need these drugs or else we wouldn't be on them. Therefore the y are DOPE, DRUGS, and we are ADDICTS! See it how you want to see it, I don't feel there is any purpose behind the word "Mental Illness" and any credibility in the claim to a drug being a "medication" as opposed to a illegal narcotic like cocaine or alcohol or opium. What gives me a high is my productivity and success because it is not real. Isn't there a high when you feel better of a person on a chemical. Either way, I have tics up the gazooooooooooo!!!!!!!! but the adderall is otherwise GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!1 whgat does this imply, any advice or intuitions out there?

Old 05-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #11
Inactive

help HB User
There is MUCH credibility to it.
A medication/drug dows not become abusive unless:

A: You are overstimulating, that's why it is important to have a brain scan. Overstimulation becomes, not a correction, but a high. This leads to addiction.

B. Your on the wrong drug. Either accidently or on purpose.

C. You have been misdiagnosed, (which occurs alot especially by incompent MD's on the subject)

The most important thing a patient and parent can do for their/their child's ADD diagnosis is to educate themselves on anything and everything pertaining to the disorder. Non-educated individuals on this subject will only leave you with 100% reliance of your psychiatrist. Just hope he's 100 % familiar with ADD . MOST aren't even if they claim to specialize in it.

Old 06-01-2002, 09:00 PM   #12

21inAugust HB User
I tried one of my ex-boyfriend's Adderall pills for ADHD out of curiosity. I remember not feeling high but just kinda feeling weird like I had just stayed awake all night. And I remember talking on and on about nothing. I've smoked weed before and gotten high so I know that the adderall didn't make me feel like that. Adderall didn't really do anything, but then again I only took one since I was scared it might hurt me because I wasn't on it.

[This message has been edited by 21inAugust (edited 06-02-2002).]

Old 06-03-2002, 06:32 PM   #13

taraburns HB User
hi, i dont know if this will help but my son age 9 has been taking addrall for 2 years now. and i just switched him to XR. it is a sustained release and it works good. no more ups and downs. and doesnt wear off until the evening.they come in 10mg,20mg,and 30mg

Old 06-04-2002, 12:27 AM   #14
Inactive

Megherc HB User
There is some truth to what 19andOnAdderall is saying. These drugs are way too simular to their street counterparts, and are "addicting", but not in the true definition of addiction. I think addiction and dependancy are identified as the same thing, but this is not always true. Addiction is born from abuse and the need for the feeling of being high; craving that feeling and the drug. Dependancy is quite different...it is when the brain has gotten used to having the chemical on a regular basis and begins to not be able to function properly without it, I think it's called neuroadaptation. So, these drugs are not so innocent, they interfer with the brain's normal homostatis and cause dependancy... and all consequences mentally and physically that comes with it.

A good book is "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin. He also has a website bearing his last name with a load of information.

Seems these days, children and adults are having more problems than ever...yet everyone is on pills. The children committing horrible crimes are getting younger and younger. It always comes out that these kids have been on meds, makes you wonder.

Closed Thread