It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

MissPilatesBody HB User
Adderall Crash

Hi all,

I'm a 25-year-old female. I was recently diagnosed with relatively mild ADD, and was prescribed Adderall. I was instructed to take 30mg per day to help me focus and to help motivate myself. I quickly noticed that the Adderall helped tremendously - I was getting things done, being very productive, and was finally taking a proactive stance in my life. It was like night and day. However, soon I began to absolutely reel whenever the Adderall would begin to wear off. I also have clinical depression, which is controlled effectively by an antidepressant, but now, as soon as I start to crash on the Adderall, I become so depressed I don't know what to do with myself. I cry, I shake, I feel empty, my entire body hurts, I have an excruciating headache, and I feel tired, although I can't sleep a wink.

It's like my entire world falls apart as soon as the Adderall begins to exit my system. I've never experienced a drug reaction so powerful, minus the few times I experimented with ecstasy when I was younger. Now that I mention it, the Adderall comedown is markedly similar to an ecstasy comedown. But unlike most people, I don't just feel a little bit "down." I feel downright horrible - practically suicidal.

I've found the only way to control this is to stop taking the Adderall, which is a shame because it did help so much. Is there another medication for ADD that will have similar positive effects without the gruesome crash? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User
Re: Adderall Crash

MissPilates,

I have also been prescribed Adderall, 10mg IR 2x/Day. I experience a mild comedown, such as one would experience with any stimulant, but if I skip a day I CRASH and just sleep all day.

I am sorry that you have to deal with this. You may want to try lowering the dosage, or switching to a non-stimulant ADD/ADHD medication. Strattera seems to be one of the main ones. Another thing you could try is going off the Adderall (slowly!) and increasing your anti-depressant dosage.

If you prefer stiumlants, Vyvanse is newer and said to have a less rocky come-up and crash.

Best of luck, I hope you figure it out.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I think that's called stimulant rebound effect (crashing out, falling apart, once meds peek and begin to leave sytem). A person can take one stimulant med like ritalin and it happen, then be changed to another stimulant med like adderall and it not happen. Bodies are strange.

Never, never adjust your own meds. If it's effecting you badly, call your prescribing doctor and go from there.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Were you started on 30mg per day, or did you work up to it? 30mg Adderall is a relatively high dose, especially for someone new to the medication, and both the highs and lows will be magnified a great deal early on.

Generally the proper way to start any stimulant med (though doctors seem to be ignoring it in the last year or so) is to start at the lowest dose and work up to your final dose over a matter of weeks, giving your body time to adjust. I would recommend dropping the dose to 10mg/day and working up to 30mg over 2-3 weeks and see how that goes, you'll probably find that the crashes are much less severe; on the other hand, you'll find that the highs are much less pronounced as well, which may not feel as good, but will be better for you in the long term. The fantastic effect that most people, myself included, experience from their first doses of stimulants are more euphoric than theraputic, and do not last. If suddenly on the first day of Adderall you jump up and clean the whole house, this isn't the effect you should expect long term, it's the high that will eventually result in the crash. By stepping up from the lowest dose possible, you will not only adjust better to the medication, you will also have the opportunity to evaluate the effect of the med at lower doses, so you can decide if 10 or 20mg/day is right for you without going straight to 30, which may simply be too much.

The proper effect from a stimulant is one you don't feel at all, though you will find motivation and focus somewhat easier to come by. All that said, if you really want to continue on the 30mg/day, you will find that the crash will become less serious with time, if you continue to take it consistently.

Having been on the downside of Adderall crashes myself in the past, I feel your pain (though I'm not clinically depressed, I was ready to off myself the first couple of evenings as well). As such, I would sincerely recommend the stepping up method.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

I know this thread is old but I wanted to comment anyways. Imho I have tried both xr and ir forms of adderall and found the crash from the xr to be much more intense for whatever reason. You would think the opposite to be true. Maybe try lowering the dosage, new meds or give the ir a try. I can't handle the xr pills just as u describe I would crash so hard I would get very depressed.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
(male)

heintznick HB User

I have been taking adderall for about a year now and in the first couple months i increased my dosage up to 30mg (anything less barely worked). About 3 months ago when i went to got my prescription filled i was surprised to find that they were pink and round instead of orange and oval-ish! I didn't really think anything of it because who cares what it looks like! When I took one I noticed that it seemed quite a bit stronger than the oranges ones, sounds like a good thing right? NO!! It was good for about 2-3 hours... then i crashed and it also so felt a LOT stronger! This got progressively worse every day i took it and the next time i went to the doctor i was so f***ing out of it that i forgot to say anything about the new pink pills. Over the next month i kept feeling worse and worse, by the end of the month I thought I was going crazy, NOT JOKING! So i decided I'd search the internet and find out if those pink pills made anybody else feel terrible, i didn't have to search long!

I found out that the pink adderall was made by a company called CorePharma and the orange pills were made by Teva Pharm (owned by Barr... i think). Just about EVERY SINGLE PERSON who had taken or was still taking the pink adderall had noticed that it made them feel like s***! T

COREPHARMA SUCKS (not really, but it's up there on tip-top on Santa's naughty list) The good news is that if you go to anywhere but ********'s (some other places might have it, i don't really know, but i go to target and they luckily don't) you will get the orange pills. I started taking the orange pills a month ago, having almost decided to quit taking adderall because it made me feel so bad, and I can't express just how much difference it makes

Try switching, tell your doctor about it, because GENERICS ARE NOT THE SAME AS NAME-BRAND AND GENERICS AREN'T THE SAME AS OTHER GENERICS!!!!! <----My anger isn't directed towards you, it's directed to the doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and lying/ignorant people who say generics are the same.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-22-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

heintznick,

I found me an ADHD brother that rants and cusses at about the same frequency and intensity as me. It's you. You're cool. I knew all along you weren't barking at me, just ranting and cussing like me.

The orange oval Adderall was manufactured by Barr. Teva bought Barr and pulled the Barr sign off the manufacturing plant and up went Teva.

Barr/Teva Adderall always took top spot for Adderall that sucked the best. Hell, Barr had no close competition for second best Adderall that sucks. Has COREPHARMA displaced Teva/Barr for best Adderall that sucks?

Bob

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPilatesBody View Post
Hi all,

I'm a 25-year-old female. I was recently diagnosed with relatively mild ADD, and was prescribed Adderall. I was instructed to take 30mg per day to help me focus and to help motivate myself. I quickly noticed that the Adderall helped tremendously - I was getting things done, being very productive, and was finally taking a proactive stance in my life. It was like night and day. However, soon I began to absolutely reel whenever the Adderall would begin to wear off. I also have clinical depression, which is controlled effectively by an antidepressant, but now, as soon as I start to crash on the Adderall, I become so depressed I don't know what to do with myself. I cry, I shake, I feel empty, my entire body hurts, I have an excruciating headache, and I feel tired, although I can't sleep a wink.

It's like my entire world falls apart as soon as the Adderall begins to exit my system. I've never experienced a drug reaction so powerful, minus the few times I experimented with ecstasy when I was younger. Now that I mention it, the Adderall comedown is markedly similar to an ecstasy comedown. But unlike most people, I don't just feel a little bit "down." I feel downright horrible - practically suicidal.

I've found the only way to control this is to stop taking the Adderall, which is a shame because it did help so much. Is there another medication for ADD that will have similar positive effects without the gruesome crash? Thanks.
I've never taken it, but I had a coworker a few years ago who took it religiously. She was about your age, and took it for ADD also.
She seemed to be a very competent, energetic person at first.
She even halfway convinced me that I ought to take Adderall, by telling me what a mess she'd been before she got on it, how much it had helped her, etc.

But then there were a couple of incidents which disturbed me:

1. she was in danger of losing her medical insurance one time, and was absolutely frantic, running around freaking out, unable to think of or speak of anything else except "How will I get my Adderall??!!"
It was a little disturbing, like a junkie worried about getting their next fix.

2. She forgot to take it one morning and apparently left the bottle at home in her apartment, which was all the way across town.
Within an hour of arriving at work, she was frantic and unable to function.
Half an hour after that, she had a total meltdown, burst into tears, and told me she needed to leave and get her Adderall.
I helped her think up an excuse (diarrhea), and our manager let her go.

These incidents convinced me that no matter how much Adderall might improve my focus and energy level, etc, I just didn't need the headache.
I don't want to be that dependent on anything.

So, good luck with it. I hope it doesn't have the effect on everyone that it had on my coworker.

Best wishes.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
tia808 (10-24-2011)
Closed Thread