It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User
Another Round of Adderall Questions, help?

Hey guys. I have done my fair bit of "research" (i.e. - googling stuff) on Adderall, ADD/ADHD and amphetamines, but I have some questions that google can't answer.
If you can, your input is appreciated!

My dosage: 20mg IR 2x/day or as needed

1. Does Adderall work differently for you guys one some days, even if the dose is the same? I noticed that some days I will even get a little of that amphetamine high, some days I won't get it, and some days I'm just more sensitive to mine and others emotions - like, I'm not sad, but all my emotions are amplified. I know it sounds drastic but this doesn't happen all the time. But it does occur, so I thought to ask if it happens to anyone else.

2. Ok. I have ADHD and I take my mecidine as prescribed (ok, sometimes I'll take an extra 10mg on an exam day...). Anyway, is there a way to make IR stop working at the end of the day? I'm still wired by 10-12pm usually, and I would like to be asleep before midnight. I never take my last dose after 2pm. I tried benadryl last night and it worked but I had to take 4 pills which is no good.

3. Disclaimer - I am not trying to get high. Is there a way to make the medication more effective without taking more? I've been adding a caffienated drink into my afternoon which seems to help me through that last bit of homework. But of course, then comes the lack of sleeping at night. Oh, also, does caffeine give any of you the "jitters" or a faster pulse? I just had a dr. pepper and I'm a touch shaky, but caffeine has always had odd effects on me.

4. Have you noticed that any medications or foods make your Adderall work better or worse? How long before/after you eat do you wait to take your meds? I stop eating an hour before and an hour after, generally. Seems to be fine.

5. I thought of another question. If you increase your dose and it's making your brain work the same as the lower dose used to (tolerance), is the physical strain on your body the same or does that adapt, too?

I'm sure I've got a ton more questions. But if you bothered to read that, and reply, I send many thanks to you!
Any topic relating to any of the things above mentioned are welcome discussions.

Last edited by WanderingAround; 11-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Another Round of Adderall Questions, help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingAround View Post
1. Does Adderall work differently for you guys one some days, even if the dose is the same?
My psychologist opinioned that the effects of Adderall may change over a period of months. The daily changes we all experience are caused by far more subtle, volatile stressors. Examples are insufficient sleep, hormones, examine anxiety, a blow out with your significant other, and add another thousand or so to complete the list. Stressors can be difficult to identify. "Today sucks." I don't think the reason given by those with normal brains, "I got up on the wrong side of the bed," makes any sense at all. Adderall is certainly a more plausible hypotheses. And "they" call us crazy? Gads.

Quote:
2. Ok. I have ADHD and I take my mecidine as prescribed (ok, sometimes I'll take an extra 10mg on an exam day...). Anyway, is there a way to make IR stop working at the end of the day?
Taking "stop pills" of any type to offset an 'extra' Adderall only induces psuedo-sleep that results in a hungover the next day.

If occasionally you must use more Adderall than prescribed to compete in school, make up the energy deficit the next day. Take no Adderall and sleep all day if necessary. Do not take a higher dose to compensate. A vicious cycle ensures that leads to drug addiction.

Quote:
3. Disclaimer - I am not trying to get high. Is there a way to make the medication more effective without taking more?
See point 4.

Quote:
4. Have you noticed that any medications or foods make your Adderall work better or worse? How long before/after you eat do you wait to take your meds?
See your doctor about other meds that can help.

Acidic foods significantly reduce Adderall's potency. Nearly everything we eat has some acidity. Avoid foods with a ph of less than 5. Beets, bananas and carrots are 4.98; beer ~ 4.7; bananas ~4.5; tomatoes vary between 4.1 and 4.5; wine, grapefruit, oranges, vinegar, olives and cider are all below 4.1 and can be as low as 3.

Hey, it ain't so bad. Order your pizza with olives in the evening. Have it along with a glass of wine or beer. Who cares about beets, carrots and grapefruits. Yuk.

Quote:
5. I thought of another question. If you increase your dose and it's making your brain work the same as the lower dose used to (tolerance), is the physical strain on your body the same or does that adapt, too?
The answer is highly dependant on the person. Everyone taking Adderall should see a physician every six months to discuss medication reactions. Your doctor can catch indications before serious problems develop. Your doctor will tweak your prescriptions to control your symptoms without the adverse reaction.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
WanderingAround (11-05-2010)
Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Hi there my friend Bob, would you think that would work with Conserta considering the Ph level's of Acidic foods? Take care my friend

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOL View Post
Hi there my friend Bob, would you think that would work with Conserta considering the Ph level's of Acidic foods? Take care my friend
Randy,

I don't know. I can recall no warnings about acidic foods reducing Concerta' potency. I found no warnings on the key word searches I just did. My wife just walked by. She looked up Concerta in her "A Family Guide to Prescription Drugs" based on the PDR. Nope. No warnings on Concerta/Acidic foods. I asked her to lookup Ritalin. No warning there either. Concerta's slow release coating evidently isn't a factor. On the other hand, my searches turned numerous Adderall/acidic food warnings. My wife's guide has the warning for Adderall.

I guess there is no ill effects from taking Concerta with OJ or any other highly acidic food.

Wandering Around,

I may have listed some acidic food items that evidently do not interfere with Adderall. I used the ph of food items as my sole criteria. In real life, the food's pka (acid dissociation constant) determines whether it gets on the evil food with Adderall list.

The ph of a food item is its ph before eaten. The pka is how acidic the food is in solution. Foods having the same ph can have different pka. The more acidic the pka value, the greater adverse effect that food has on Adderall.

Most importantly, I learned to get a chart that displays the reaction between food items and Adderall. We can make little spit balls with our now useless litmus paper. That's what I did in chemistry class. And that explains why I now know so little about chemistry.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

Bob,

You gave me the best information I could have hoped for. Thank you so much

I don't try to often take "counter medications," and I did notice the weird hangover. I often skip sundays so I can be more productive on Monday.

Anyway, your advice was great!

Best Wishes
-Wandering

Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Bob I just went thru a simular guied that i discoverd yesterday after i sent you the message and it said the same as you discribed your wife found and im glad that Conserta is clear to take with the foods you discribed,those are types of foods my son eats lol. Thanks again my friend, hope yall have a great weekend.

Closed Thread