It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
(male)

XENOCIDE BMG HB User
Chances of getting Adderall?

I have wondered for a very long time now if I had ADD. I am now 20, and I recently went to a psychologist and was tested positive for having ADD. I have taken Adderall before, where I got from a friend who has a prescription for it. It really helped me focus, get my homework done, and gave me energy which I always seem to be lacking. I am currently prescribed 50mg a day of Zoloft for anxiety, and I have heard that Doctors are more reluctant to give a prescription to someone who has anxiety because they are more likely to develop an addiction to amphetamines. Not to mention the fact that I am 20, and I know that ADD develops when you are younger and some may think I'm just a kid looking to score drugs. But, I have no history of abusing drugs. Any thoughts as to what you think my chances of getting a prescription for Adderall are? Any ideas as to what I should say to the doctor? I know not to mention Adderall directly, but is their anything particular I should mention? It is much appreciated, Thank you!

Last edited by XENOCIDE BMG; 11-05-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Chances of getting Adderall?

Your best bet is to find a psychiatrist who treats adult ADHD and describe your symptoms honestly. IF you actually find a doctor who is willing to prescribe stimulants, and IF your symptoms fit, he'd probably let you try it.

Of course, it is very important to take them only as prescribed.

ADHD does NOT normally begin at your age though. If you feel like your attention problems are new, I would look elsewhere for the cause. If, on the other hand, you feel like you have had attention problems since childhood, it may be ADHD.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
XENOCIDE BMG (11-06-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOCIDE BMG View Post
I have wondered for a very long time now if I had ADD. I am now 20, and I recently went to a psychologist and was tested positive for having ADD. I have taken Adderall before, where I got from a friend who has a prescription for it. It really helped me focus, get my homework done, and gave me energy which I always seem to be lacking. I am currently prescribed 50mg a day of Zoloft for anxiety, and I have heard that Doctors are more reluctant to give a prescription to someone who has anxiety because they are more likely to develop an addiction to amphetamines. Not to mention the fact that I am 20, and I know that ADD develops when you are younger and some may think I'm just a kid looking to score drugs. But, I have no history of abusing drugs. Any thoughts as to what you think my chances of getting a prescription for Adderall are? Any ideas as to what I should say to the doctor? I know not to mention Adderall directly, but is their anything particular I should mention? It is much appreciated, Thank you!
According to the internet Adderall can cause a very annoying tic disorder for the rest of a persons life. To have a constant movement which medicines never totally remove for the next 80 years of a persons life would not be fun in my opinion. I know people who suffer from tics and they can cause them pain later on, at least until the muscle develops sufficiently.

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
XENOCIDE BMG (11-09-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
XENOCIDE BMG (11-06-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

Luvmykiddos HB User

The way I found out about it was from my co-worker. She gave me the name of her doctor that prescribed it and I went to that specific doctor. I had not tried the adderall but I was told the doctor that my co-worker had the same symptoms and that you (the doc) had put her on adderall and it worked great for her. From my experience, you have to sometimes self diagnose yourself before you go to the doctor and tell them what you want. I told the doctor that I had NO energy and lacked the motivation to do any simple tasks like cleaning, etc. Everything took tremendous effort, but I knew I was not depressed. If you go to the doc make sure you make it very clear that it is not depression that you feel! Then the doc asked me some questions and I was surpised when she said that I had a mild case of ADD also. Have them do some lab work while you are there to make sure there is nothing deeper. Plus, this may sound bad, but since like you said you are young, it will show the doc that your not just there for the pills. Hope this helps! Adderall has been a life changer for me! Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to Luvmykiddos:
XENOCIDE BMG (11-11-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmykiddos For This Useful Post:
XENOCIDE BMG (11-11-2010)
Closed Thread