It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

lmh1987 HB User
i have adhd and I have an anger control problem!

Hi, I'm new here

I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD when i was a child. I am 23 now.i got married 4 years ago and Over the past few years I noticed that I get frustrated and angry very easily. Things like waiting in line at the store or making a wrong turn, i get mad over something a kid would get mad over like if i dont get what i want etc make me so upset and angry. i want to be happy if i keep going the way i am my marriage isnt going to last i need help is there any meds out that can help me. i have tryed Adderall, Ritalin,Prozac none has worked for me any comments accepted

p.s. Its like I will just flip a swith and go into a rage of yelling i never hit or anything like that but i yell alot and when i was a child i was physical, sexual and emotional abused

The following user gives a hug of support to lmh1987:
mel7329 (12-19-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
(male)

Charles Borden HB User
Re: i have adhd and I have an anger control problem!

Prozac does an excellent job dissipating anger. What was your dosage and how long were you using it?
What pressures have you been facing unique to the last several years?
Are you managing your sleep needs?
Does your marriage and or job add to the stress you may be feeling?
How well are you able to focus your attention when you need to and when you want to do so?
How are you organizing your time, your life and all the responsibilities you have now?
Don't need to feel you should answer me, but maybe there is something here to think about or that might trigger something else that will offer some insight to you.
Remember this, you have a biochemical injury and you have every right to take care of it.
ADD is a damnable wound that impacts everything in one's life; it is lifelong, most of the time, and there is no cure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Borden For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (12-01-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Anger issues are very common for ADHD adults, and stimulants can, but often don't, help. I would look to an anti-depressant or Alpha-2-agonist (Clonidine, Intuniv) option for medication, you're more in need of norepinephrine than dopamine.

On the non-medication front, though, have you ever tried counselling or anger management? While we do have a chemical predisposition toward a hair-trigger temper, there are strategies out there that, with practice, can make a real difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (12-01-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
(female)

lmh1987 HB User

yes i have gone to counselling it doesnt help

Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
(male)

lagreeneyes1 HB User
Unhappy Re: i have adhd and I have an anger control problem!

Hi, my name is Josh and I too have the same type of problem. I can't seem to get out of my own head when I get angry. I can get over the anger rarely and when I do it just seems that my mind is going 100mph. I have not been able to sleep what I would call a good night's sleep in a long time. I have also tried meds, Prozac, zoloft and celexa. They all make me really drowsy but I can't sleep on them. None of them have worked or else I wouldn't be here. I have trouble with grinding my teeth and biting my cheeks. I got into a really serious car accident about 1 1/2 months ago and since then I have only gotten worse. I have had spurts of depression since I was about 19 and have just been fighting through them every year since. If anybody has any suggestions that don't involve pumping huge amounts of synthetic chemicals into my body I would appreciate the input.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
(male)

Charles Borden HB User

Exercise, healthy daily routine, structure. Herbal products might help. Not sure that the meds you referenced are all synthetic. I wear contacts made of plastic. Find a top notch doctor you can trust. Take good care of you. Pretend you are your five year old son and take care of him based on your best parenting skills. My anger boils over most often when I am in pain, usually unrelated to the trigger for my anger.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
(male)

Charles Borden HB User

go back into counseling.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
(male)

BamaBoy HB User

When you say counseling didn't help, can you give a little more detail? I mean, did the counselor and yourself not talk about anything that seemed relevant to your problems? Or did you try to do things they suggested but it just didn't seem to help? I am just trying to get a good picture of why you feel it didn't help.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Imh,

Physical, sexual and emotional abuse devastate children. The trauma you experience can last for decades. You'll have to work with a therapist for some time before experiencing relief.

I have no sympathy for pedophiles. Everyone of them should be hung. Too bad that hanging would cause them so much less pain than they inflicted. My heart goes out to you.

Josh,

The three meds you tried are the WRONG three meds. Find yourself a good shrink. A good shrink can help you with your anger management problems and give your attention a good shot in the butt to boot. No ifs ands or "butts" about it.

Bob

Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
(female)

ST22 HB User

I have problems with irritability and impatience too! Those are the main reasons I got on ADHD meds as well as an anti depressant. I've noticed that methylphenidate based meds made it worse and had some bad bodily side effects as well. But the combination I'm on right now seem to be helping (until the med starts to wear off) I'm on Lexapro and Adderall and have to take Ambien at night. I've had a problem with insomnia for years before I got on Adderall. I do still snap and get impatient but it has definitely improved!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Anger issues and ADD go hand in hand, it seems. I got on adderall, and my anger issues went away.... until my body couldn't handle the dosage anymore, and then the anger issues came back worse. After I lowered my dose of adderall, the anger issues went away again.

I started taking 40 mgs of adderall a day (20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon). I had to lower my dose every 6-9 months until I was down to 10 mgs a day (5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon). But it took 6-9 months each time before I needed to lower the dose.... (I have to start and stop adderall each time I have a baby, and stay off adderall until I'm done nursing.... I'm currently nursing #4 right now).

Anyway, you might try taking adderall and working with the dosage.

Oh, and extended release adderall never worked for me. It actually made me angrier and I had violent tendencies (throwing things and punching walls were my specialty!).

Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
jnlmhny (05-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
(female)

ST22 HB User

Thanks Marisuela! I thought I was the only weird person that had to keep lowering my Adderall dosages lol. For a while the higher one was fine but then, like you said, the symptoms start coming back. I'm down to only 10 mg per dose when at one time I took 40mg per dose. I always thought it sould be the opposite because of tolerance.

Closed Thread