It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
(male)

BamaBoy HB User
switched from adderall to vyvanse - WORSE side effects?

Hello all,

after searching the board, it seems that, in general, Vyvanse is associated with fewer negative side effects and seems to be more easily tolerated. I switched from Adderall XR 40 mg daily (2 x 20) to Vyvanse 70mg daily per my Psychiatrist's request. I was doing fine on Adderall but he said Vyvanse was a new drug that could give even better results. I mentioned uncertainty about switching when everything was going fine with my current regimen. However, I agreed to give it a try.

Anyway,I am having a lot of side effects that I have seen mostly posted about Adderall. BTW, I have taken adderall for years and never had any of these side effects that I am now having with Vyvanse:
1. twitching muscles in neck, chest
2. general panic/anxiety maybe once every week. I have never had a panic attack but based on descriptions, I feel it could be on the verge of a panic attack
3. confusing and INability to focus. Yes, sometimes (probably about 20% of the time), when I take my Vyvanse, I feel like a wall is standing between myself and focusing. In other words, sometimes I focus worse with the meds than without.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I am scheduling an appointment ASAP to discuss my options. But the wait is long to see him and I was wondering, in the mean time, what some suggestions are. Should I focus on switching back to Adderall, or keep giving this new drug a try?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: switched from adderall to vyvanse - WORSE side effects?

The most important message I would hope people take from this board is that everyone's personal body chemistry is unique and may respond very differently to different medications.

It's true that Adderall tends to be associated with higher incidence of side effects than Vyvanse, but that doesn't hold true in every case. It's also important to note that Adderall tends to be associated with more positive outcomes than does Vyvanse. If you've had success with Adderall in the past, but are having side effect issues on Vyvanse, I would switch back to Adderall immediately.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
carm (04-19-2011)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
(male)

BamaBoy HB User

Thanks for your response!

I spoke with my doctor - he reccomended we try decreasing the dose to 50mg. I haven't filled this new Rx yet but I am hoping that will provide a resolution in some of these symptoms. I am definitely becoming more aware, after reading threads with relavent information, how different everyone responds to various medications. Particularly, it seems that a slew of side effects exist for adderall, for example, that I have never dealt with before. Proof that medicine isn't a perfect science.

Anywho, thanks again for your thoughts. I may follow up later with how the dose change goes in case anyone does a search in the future on the subject.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

My son had to decrease his dose as well. The doc started him at 70 when switching from Concerta 72, & he had nasty side effects. He's on 60 now and doing fine.

Pup

Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
(male)

BamaBoy HB User

Hey pup,

if you don't mind, what kind of side effects was your son having? I understand if you'd rather not share.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

He was really spacey, nauseated & almost threw up.

Pup

Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
(female)

DanaMarie HB User

I just started taking it and feel worse. Confusion, anxiety, even tired during the day?, my upper back hurts, sadness (almost crying)!?!? I'm seeing my doctor again in 2 days. I'm discontinuing it. I feel like a crazy person.

I've just been diagnosed with ADD at 38 years old and it took me years to finally seek help! I just pray there is something out there that can help me focus! ;(

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

My experience with Vyvanse has been great ! I will say that seperating my doses works best. I never take more than 50 at a time but what I found is that 50 in the AM really seemed to wear off alot quicker than they say it should so I can take my 50 in the am and then a smaller dose of 20 by say 1 in the afternoon and this has worked wonders for me !

I have also lost 47 pounds since starting Vyvanse as well ! I love it !!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI the nih says Vyvanse can cause movement disorders of the body. Often movement disorders can be permanent and annoying and constant and may not stop after discontinuation of the "medicine." This may mean if a person is 25 and they live to 100they may have a movement disorder for the next 75 years. Movement disorders are not fun and can be painful even. It seems to me it might almost be better to be a bit anxious than to live with an annoying movement the rest one's life. From what I heard in the past some movement disorders may not appear right away but may happen after a person has been on the med a while.

There are things people can do to help relieve their difficulties besides taking pills.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

OMG, I am taking this Vyvanse and now that scares me. I did not see this as a side effect or even close? I am on 50mgs. Should I be concerned?

It seems to working for me, and my doctor said she wanted to watch my weight on this, for I don't need to be losing in her eyes........

Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would be. A person can put the name of the drug in the search window and see for themselves.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Wow, medication in general just stinks............

I will talk to my doctor about this......

Thank you for the info.........

The following user gives a hug of support to himmylover:
sjb (01-14-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
(female)

Megcrab HB User

Having the exact same issues, except I switched from concerta to vyvanse due to takiphylanxes. I have to say, I HATE it. I wish I could go back to COncerta or a methyphenidate, but unfortunately I would have to take a dose high enough to cause some pretty intolerable side effects. Vyvanse has actually made my focus worse. I know exactly what you mean about the wall. For me, I am trying my hardest to focus on my lectures, but I cannot conceptualize what they are talking about. Its like I am listening through a glass window, I dont quite catch what people are saying - I just know they are saying something. Going without meds is no good for me, because then I am all over the place.

I feel like I am stuck, I have no where to go...I want to try adderall XR, but I dont know if my doc will go for it, it sounds like everyone is switching from adderall to vyvanse.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree, I don't know why my doctor won't put me on Addrell for it would be allot cheaper for I have no real good health insurance..........maybe the manufacture want their $$$$, I am like you, I would like to try adderall, but my dr. is reluctant, but I am hoping I can change her mind for I will not be able to afford to keep on taking it at that price..........why do they do this Crap?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

Can I make a suggestion ??

It seems as though your doctors are starting you off at the MAXIMUM doses of Vyvanse !
When I started last year we started low. I did 20mg morning and 20 early afternoon for about a month with no side effects.
After that I went to 30 mg morning and kept 20 afternoon. That dose worked for me for a few months.

Just recently is when I started the 50 mg morning and a boost of 20 afternoon and I did have a few side effects for the first few days but those have subsided.

If I was given the 75 mg right off the bat I would have been a mess ! please ask to try it SLOWLY and I think you may have better results !

Closed Thread