It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

yalwayssick HB User
ADD/ADHD and other conditions

Does anyone have any experiences or insights into these conditions that may have complications or are connected with PTSD symptoms? Does having PTSD trigger other conditions or do other conditions magnify the PTSD?

What is the implication or degree variations of symptom intensity for PTSD in those suffering from ADD/ADHD?

Would the PTSD become more severe or would ADD/ADHD be overstimulated, in those with both conditions?

What came first PTSD or ADD/ADHD?

What about PTSD for those with multiple health problems like immune system dysfunctions or autoimmune diseases?

Do people with Autism suffer from PTSD?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: ADD/ADHD and other conditions

ADHD develops either before birth or in infancy or early childhood.

PTSD usually develops after traumatic experiences.

Attention problems that appear for the first time in adulthood are generally not ADHD, but PTSD can sometimes cause problems with memory and concentration.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
yalwayssick (12-07-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

yalwayssick,

As Jane said ADHD is with us from birth so let's put ADHD in the center ring. Does PTSD worsen ADHD symptoms? Positively. I can't think of any disease that doesn't worsen ADHD symptoms.

Clinical depression and anxiety are emotional disorders that can affect our thinking or cognition. ADHD is a cognitive disorder that can affect our emotions. And ADHD can be co-morbid with emotional disorders in which case two or more disorders are present.

Witnessing and experiencing horrific traumatic effects can adversely affect the biology of the brain thus cause the disorder PTSD.

Do people with Autism suffer from PTSD? The question is ambiguous. Are you asking if PTSD is a cause of autism? No. Can witnessing and experiencing horrific trauma cause PTSD in the autistic? Yes.

Bob

Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

yalwayssick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
yalwayssick,

As Jane said ADHD is with us from birth so let's put ADHD in the center ring. Does PTSD worsen ADHD symptoms? Positively. I can't think of any disease that doesn't worsen ADHD symptoms.

Clinical depression and anxiety are emotional disorders that can affect our thinking or cognition. ADHD is a cognitive disorder that can affect our emotions. And ADHD can be co-morbid with emotional disorders in which case two or more disorders are present.

Witnessing and experiencing horrific traumatic effects can adversely affect the biology of the brain thus cause the disorder PTSD.

Do people with Autism suffer from PTSD? The question is ambiguous. Are you asking if PTSD is a cause of autism? No. Can witnessing and experiencing horrific trauma cause PTSD in the autistic? Yes.

Bob
So then as I understand it, being born with ADD/ADHD either identified and treated or identified and not treated, or not...any co-morbidity would further complicate its already prevalent symptoms?

Would that not also indicate that due to the existence of ADD/ADHD disorder any other emotional, cognitive, or complement system malfunction would thus further expose and heighten symptoms related to ADD/ADHD?

For example, with PTSD "emotional" responses or triggers combined with ADD/ADHD, could potentially feed into either causally or develop into a secondary condition that is manifested-such as "depression" or "anxiety"?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

On all three questions, my answer is "absolutely, positively, no bout a dout it - YES.

[My usual required black box warning] I ain't no doctor. Don't know squat in comparison to a trained and experienced mental health professional. I do know what it is like to have MI and have read a couple, three, hundred maybe thousand articles on the subject. Said articles have caused me to believe that the topic is stupidfyingly complex. The more I study it, the more stupid I get. I'm serious.

Bob

Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

yalwayssick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
On all three questions, my answer is "absolutely, positively, no bout a dout it - YES.

[My usual required black box warning] I ain't no doctor. Don't know squat in comparison to a trained and experienced mental health professional. I do know what it is like to have MI and have read a couple, three, hundred maybe thousand articles on the subject. Said articles have caused me to believe that the topic is stupidfyingly complex. The more I study it, the more stupid I get. I'm serious.

Bob
Thanks Bob, good to know that not only having or connecting the connections is not for nothing... The more study or comparision the more clarity however, seriously stupid it may seem...many scientists, doctors, or researchers develop answers that way. should of gone to school to become one of those huh! Complexities are the common thread of life and ignorance is not blissful while living with any debilitating disorder or disease...

Closed Thread