It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 05:46 AM   #1

jay ess HB User
Question Strattera and memory

My 15-year-old son started Strattera 10 days ago. He started on 40 mg, but he immediately became a zombie, to the point that he could not think at all. His doctor said he is a "slow metabolizer," and dropped him back to 10 mg. However, I am concerned that he is often tired, and worse, he can't remember simple things, such as whether or not he took a nap in the afternoon or what he had for dinner. Is anyone else having memory problems on Strattera?

Old 03-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

marilyn60 HB User
Lightbulb

He may be a fast metabolizer, in which case he would get the greater effect. You can check the side-effects and interactions of drugs on [url="http://www.rxlist.com"]www.rxlist.com[/url] .

If you are giving this to him for hyperactivity, have his thyroid level checked. He may be hyperthyroid, OR hypothyroid. The symptoms can be opposite the common symptoms. Thyroid imbalances cause brain fog if too low, and hyperactivity if too high. The ratio of people that have thyroid imblance to those that don't is very high, and most of the time it is undiagnosed and untreated or undertreated.

Most doctors go by the tests and the tests don't show how much hormone any person needs. Hormones are totally subjective. My daughter has Hashimoto's and so she goes back and forth between hyper and hypothyroid.
It shows!

Another thing, is kids do get the opposite reaction to some types of drugs. Have you tried giving him coffee?
It sounds simplistic, but it works for many children.
I think that all children, drug use or not, should be given a B vitamin supplement, unless they eat only unrefined foods. But even the whole wheat products have a great deal of refined flour in them. That means we are defiicent in B vitmins. I would ahve horrible PMS when I neglected my B's. They are what feed the nerves. If our nerves are a shamble, we will be strung out and uncontrollable. I think especially when on drugs that have side-effects, we need to be sure our nerves are fed and that our diets are otherwise clear of junk "food", which has negligible nutrition.

Maybe I told you more than you wnat to know. But I hope you get the help you need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #3

MollysDad HB User
mickimac,
Thanks for the info
-Mollysdad

Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #4

jay ess HB User
Actually, my son isn't hyperactive at all. He has the inattentive, daydreamer type of ADD. He was doing okay on Adderall XT, but we were concerned about whether we were doing enough to help him and took him to see a doctor specializing in ADD. The new doctor was concerned about his level of anxiety, and prescribed Strattera in lieu of the Adderall. I'm not sure this is working. I should point out that on the Adderall, he did not have such simple memory problems, and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing anything similar.

Closed Thread