It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User
About the WAIS-IV

I suppose it seems like I am ruminating over this concept, but does the WAIS-IV IQ clinical test battery require a significant amount of education?, as I fear my prior home schooling and isolated environment has prevented me from being present in a rich educational environment. I was told I exceeded the educational requirements, although I disagreed with that notion. So does anyone who has taken this test have any insights?

I suppose I'm posting this here because the WAIS can be an ADD diagnostic tool.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: About the WAIS-IV

Some of the tests may rely on educational background or knowledge, including vocabulary tests. Most, however, require only basic reading writing and arithmetic skills. Some, such as arranging blocks, require no education at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. I think the arithmetic requirements have been reigned in with the newer version, as well. Although, I saw a sample question from the WAIS and apparently some algerbra was involved, I wasn't sure if that was an accurate representation or not.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When I took the WISC, I remember most of the questions were ability, and very few were knowledge.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Right, but since that is for children, I don't know if that is an accurate representation of the adult version. But, there is the information, similarities, and comprehension tests, but those might simply call for base knowledge requirements.

If I get a score of 90 though, I will quite incensed.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
(female)

Free in Freepor HB User

The WAIS-IV was normed on adults from a wide range of backgrounds. Efforts are made to include persons from education levels (ranging from elementary drop outs to college graduates) in proportion with the US Census.

A score of 90 is within the limits of the average range.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free in Freepor View Post
The WAIS-IV was normed on adults from a wide range of backgrounds. Efforts are made to include persons from education levels (ranging from elementary drop outs to college graduates) in proportion with the US Census.

A score of 90 is within the limits of the average range.
Yes, I know it is average, but that is not a desirable score. Can education drastically effect the scoring? After reviewing the subtests, it seems so.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
(female)

Free in Freepor HB User

Educated persons tend to have better developed vocabularies and critical thinking skills.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ToFree:

Yes, I agree. But reading skills, vocabulary, basic arithmetic and thinking skills are really the only "School" things that the test measures. It doesn't really measure knowledge. And, just from TryAgain's posts, his verbal skills are quite on par with most formally educated adults.

Can you develop those thinking skills? Definitely. After all, average scores on many IQ measures have gone up over the past century. Can you develop them outside of school, or in less formal educational settings? Definitely. Once you learn to read, reading and writing that you do on your own will further strengthen your abilities. And all kinds of logic puzzles and games will strengthen other parts of your brain.

One reason vocabulary is included is to help estimate brain damage from trauma or illness. Unless the injury has specifically affected the language center, vocabulary should remain intact, giving a rough estimate of a person's brainpower Before.

Don't sweat the test too much. It's not an admission test to life.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
(female)

Free in Freepor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
ToFree:

Yes, I agree. But reading skills, vocabulary, basic arithmetic and thinking skills are really the only "School" things that the test measures. It doesn't really measure knowledge. And, just from TryAgain's posts, his verbal skills are quite on par with most formally educated adults.

Can you develop those thinking skills? Definitely. After all, average scores on many IQ measures have gone up over the past century. Can you develop them outside of school, or in less formal educational settings? Definitely. Once you learn to read, reading and writing that you do on your own will further strengthen your abilities. And all kinds of logic puzzles and games will strengthen other parts of your brain.

One reason vocabulary is included is to help estimate brain damage from trauma or illness. Unless the injury has specifically affected the language center, vocabulary should remain intact, giving a rough estimate of a person's brainpower Before.

The WAIS IV does not test reading. The arithmetic is really more of a memory/concentration test than math ability per se. The oral math is basic arithmetic, no algebra or higher math.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
ToFree:

Jane,

You are the fourth source of the "ADHD Doctorate" degree resource I want and we all need. You should be hired to formally write your stuff into a course co-authored by neurologists, psychiatrists and psychologists possessing the prerequisite of your level of understanding and communication skills.

Everything you write is dead-on target. You blow the problem to hell with no collateral damage at all.

Get going, girl, on the job you were born to do.

Bob

Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
ToFree:

Information subtest: Degree of general information acquired from culture (e.g. Who is the president of Russia?). I understand that this is informal osmosis, and not formal education, but to score well on this subtest one must not be in an isolated environment.

Anyway, I've been told my education level exceeds the requirements, as does my vocabulary by a qualified psychologist. "Most people don't use your vocabulary" I have been informed, however I barely use whatever advanced verbal skills I actually have attained. Quick question, by "thinking skills" are you referring to concepts such as inductive reasoning? And, even if the test does require extensive reading, I am aptly prepared, as I score extremely high on any verbal test, though not perfect but that could be because I second guess my original analysis.

But, I have made an appointment with a professional to discuss in-depth this IQ test battery.

Last edited by TryAgain121; 12-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

I have been informed of something known as the WASI, or the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence, which is a short, four-subtest verion of the WAIS III battery which can be taken in approximately 30 minutes, I may opt for this.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
(female)

Free in Freepor HB User

The WASI consists of block design, matrix reasoning, similarities, and vocabulary.
It's painless.

Those are 4 of the most reliable subtests from the WAIS IV, with the heaviest "g factor loading".

Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free in Freepor View Post
The WASI consists of block design, matrix reasoning, similarities, and vocabulary.
It's painless.

Those are 4 of the most reliable subtests from the WAIS IV, with the heaviest "g factor loading".

Yep, your statements are consistent with what I've read prior. I also read that your performance on the block design tests is almost completely accurate when determining future performance in higher level math. I believe it is also one of the subtests susceptible to anxiety. Also, there are different "gs" Gf is general fluid intelligence, and Gc is General Crystallized(sp) intelligence, vocabulary would test Gc while matrix reasoning would be more easily manipulated by someone with a high Gf, as is block design. I think I will most likely request this test, as it has nearly the same amount of accuracy in a mere fraction of the time.

Closed Thread