It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

JustWant HB User
Exclamation Adderall and Losing Weight

Hi there,
I am a Newbie, so I will make this short and sweet I was prescribed 10mgs. 3x daily of Adderall for ADD. Everyone is telling me that Adderall will make me lose my appetite, and lose a LOT of weight. I am obese, and I am trying to figure out if anyone has any opinions/experience...etc., regarding this. Has anyone recently started taking Adderall with any weight loss in the first 1-2 weeks. Bad or good stories, is anyone in the same boat?? Thanks!

Last edited by JustWant; 01-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Adderall and Losing Weight

Adderall may suppress your appetite, but it's not by any means guaranteed. I believe that the appetite suppression side effect is more pronounced in people that are already to the lower end of normal, or even underweight.

As an obese person myself, I found little to no help in Adderall in the weight loss department, as it was not enough to treat my habit of self medicating with food. In my case, and I expect with many others who suffer with ADHD and obesity, 'appetite' was less my problem than chronic dopamine deficiency; I ate not because I was hungry, but because I wanted to eat. For weight loss, your best bet is still proper nutrition and lots of exercise (and believe me, I know how hard those are, so I empathize).

I would recommend continuing in your efforts to fully and effectively treat your ADHD, as once that is under control, you will have less trouble doing the things necessary to lose weight. Myself, since bringing my ADHD somewhat under control, I've lost 82 pounds, and am healthier than I was 20 years ago (of course, I still have a long way to go). Unfortunately, though, Adderall on its own did little to curb my urge to eat.

The following user gives a hug of support to Thunor:
JustWant (01-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

JustWant HB User

Thank you for replying. Today was my first day on it, and I was fine this morning. I was full of energy, getting housework done, etc. Later on, I felt like I completely crashed. I didn't do any more cleaning, felt very tired and somewhat depressed I kinda thought this medicine would be the answer to a very overwhelmed mother of 3! Is it just because it is the first day on it? Do I need more/less?? I am so confused. I even called my dr. and he said instead of taking 10 mgs: 3x a day--take 1/2 a tablet every 4 hours...even closer to bedtime! I don't know what to do, I feel like he didn't even remember me from yesterday!!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

robinsjs18 HB User

I just recently got back on my adderall but in the past I did lose alot of weight on it. When I stopped it then of course I gained it back. I am back on it now for about a month now and again I am starting to lose weight. It makes me have no appetite and I have to basically force myself to eat. I know everyone is different so medicines affect people differenty so I just wanted to give you my expeirence with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to robinsjs18 For This Useful Post:
JustWant (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Did you eat at all before you crashed? If not, your crash might just be from lack of food. I used to do that all the time when I would start up adderall again.... I quit with each of my pregnancies (4 times.... waiting to stop nursing before I start up again), and each time I start on it again, I forget to eat and then by the end of the day I would just hit this WALL and my husband finally figured it out that I wasn't eating anything! So he suggested that I write down my food each day so that I'd pay more attention and actually eat. It helped a lot and I quit crashing.

I do lose weight each time I get back on adderall. I can count on losing a good 40-50 pounds each time (I gain a lot of weight when I'm pregnant!).

The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
JustWant (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
(female)

robinsjs18 HB User

That is the exact same thing that happens to me! I crash at the end of the day because of not eating. I have to force myself to eat in the middle of the day even if it's just a little bit. If I didn't make myself eat then I wouldn't eat till nite time. I start to get hungry about 8 at night. lol

Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
(female)

JustWant HB User

Actually, I know it is a big no-no...but I did not eat anything all day. I had a pot of coffee, and some diet coke. (I'll wait for the yelling to begin I know I need to eat...but what do you usually stick to? Salads? Protein? Help, if ya can Good night!!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

To best help your ADD, it's best to stick with natural, unprocessed foods. Whole grains, white meats, fish, lots of fruits and veggies. Of course, that's not always practical, so at least make sure to stay away from high fructose corn syrup, anything artificial (especially dyes - red is the worst!), and fatty fried foods.

It's healthiest to eat 3 regular meals a day, or 6 small meals a day. If you write it down, it's really easy to be aware of what you are eating and make sure you are eating enough to not crash.

But if you're anything like me, you'll forget to eat anyway, so just make sure you get something to eat as soon as you start crashing! I always made sure I had a sandwich or something in my purse for if I was going to be out and about.

Great.... now I have adderall envy.... just another few months before I stop nursing and get back on it again!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to marisuela:
jefferyjackson (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

PS - oh yeah, about that yelling that was supposed to happen.... nah.... I think most of us have been there enough to TOTALLY understand what you're going through!

Last edited by marisuela; 01-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to marisuela:
JustWant (01-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
JustWant (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
(female)

JustWant HB User

Well, I lost 6 pounds since yesterday :P Yeah, yesterday was day 1, and I had no idea what to do, or eat--but I think this might be good for me. I'm still crashing/zoning out in the afternoons. I don't get it. I actually got up this morning, only had half a cup of coffee, and (yeah it is weird) but I ate a can of stewed veggies. It had 160 calories for the whole can, plus it was loaded with a ton of vitamins. So, I got some fiber, potassium, iron, etc. Then, later on I ate some raw baby carrots with a little dip--and one chicken strip. So, I hope to God that isn't too much food for one day. I want another 6 pounds gone tomorrow. I just feel very hungry for some reason, maybe the whole appetite suppression doesn't work on me. Plus, this is only day 2, so I gotta give it time. Does everyone exercise a lot? And any other meal ideas would help too. I took 2 and a half today...instead of 3....so why the tiredness??

Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Wait a minute, you're saying all you ate yesterday was a can of veggies, carrots, dip and a little chicken? That's not a diet, that's starving yourself, which is not a recipe for better brain function or body function. You'll lose, but you'll gain it all back and then some once you take the padlock off the fridge.

And if you lost 6 pounds in one day... Are you drinking water? Any water? Because as far as I know, the only way to lose that much that fast is dehydration. Lack of food and drink is probably why you are tired.

Here's an actual weight loss diet that will improve your mental and physical health, not damage it.

Take a look at whatever you usually eat over the course of a day.

Remove high-calorie low-nutrient foods and replace them with veggies or other higher-nutrient, lower-calorie foods until your daily calorie intake is reduced by 500. Remember to count the calories in cooking oils or sauces used on the veggies. Foods like bread, meat and nuts and eggs are very healthy in small portions, and you can't get by without some protein source.

Actually, that's the only healthy weight loss diet.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
(female)

robinsjs18 HB User

Wowsa 6 pounds in a day??? Thats crazy. I am trying to weigh every week since starting adderall again and so far I have lost 8 pounds in 22 days. I force myself to eat dinner and a little something during the day.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
(female)

JustWant HB User

Yeah, well today's weight was up by 2 pounds. I need a better system to see how much of a dose I really need. As, I had said in a previous post the reason I lost that weight on the first day was because I did not eat--which I know is horrible. I had no idea how the medicine would affect me.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

A good rule of thumb is that if you want safe, permanent weight loss, you shouldn't aim for anything more than 2 pounds per week. Any more than that and your body will try hard to put it back. In addition, for ideal weight loss, you want no more than a 20% calorie deficit. Anything more than that, and your body will think you're starving, and will do all it can to conserve energy.

It is possible to force weight loss to come quickly, but it's seldom safe, and is often quickly regained. Take your time and you'll feel a lot better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
JustWant (01-09-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
(male)

mustang383 HB User

i been in adderall for 2 months and lost 12lbs and i stoped drinking soft drinks thats all i changed

The Following User Says Thank You to mustang383 For This Useful Post:
JustWant (01-14-2011)
Closed Thread