It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Wink Vyvanse Question

Hi all......sorry if I am chasing my tale and repeating myself, but I have one more question.

Month two on Vyvanse @ 30mgs, this had made a world of difference in my way of thinking and my energy level.......so much improved.

However my doctor knows I don't have health insurance and put me on this, and even with the discount card it is almost $85.00 a month, I can not afford to keep taking this, but she is reluctant to give me something generic? WHY?

My pharmacist said the closest thing to this would be Adderall or Ritalin, and she does not even bring this up. What should I do, why will she not give me the generic? I don't want to find another doctor but why is this going on?

I can't keep taking this for the price is just way too high.

Please please advise............I really need you know...........

Thank you and god bless.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Vyvanse Question

The closest real option would be a time released Dexedrine, though I understand that in the US, this can be difficult to obtain. Your doctor may be reluctant to give you Adderall or Ritalin is that they are generally more likely to cause anxiety, which seems may be an issue for you already (of course, the doctor may also be getting kickbacks from Shire, it wouldn't surprise me).

That said, I would explain to the doctor that you simply can't afford the medication and absolutely need a less expensive alternative, hopefully he or she will understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

You are so very correct with the anxiety........LOL..........I will try........and hopefully she will give me something less expensive......... I need it, and it works but I am in between a rock and a hard spot.............

Thank you sir.......

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dovecottage HB Userdovecottage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmylover View Post
Hi all......sorry if I am chasing my tale and repeating myself, but I have one more question.

Month two on Vyvanse @ 30mgs, this had made a world of difference in my way of thinking and my energy level.......so much improved.

However my doctor knows I don't have health insurance and put me on this, and even with the discount card it is almost $85.00 a month, I can not afford to keep taking this, but she is reluctant to give me something generic? WHY?

My pharmacist said the closest thing to this would be Adderall or Ritalin, and she does not even bring this up. What should I do, why will she not give me the generic? I don't want to find another doctor but why is this going on?

I can't keep taking this for the price is just way too high.

Please please advise............I really need you know...........

Thank you and god bless.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I am also on Vyvance its a miracle drug for me.What does your Dr. want to put you on? I heard Straterra is equivalent to Vyvance. Stay away from Adderall very addictive. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

She says to try generic Ritalin XR.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I have tried ritalin generic not bad I had trouble sleeping so doc gave me ambien, had hallucinations and awful dreams wow what a nightmare.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your feedback. I also have taken ambian, and that $hit scared me...........LOL....

Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
(female)

snowangel81 HB User

Adderall and Ritalin are very different drugs than Vyvanse, so even if they are cheaper, they may not work for you. Many ADD/ADHD drugs are too new to have generic options. Strattera is VERY different than Vyvanse, it is not a stimulant and Vyvanse is. I've heard from friends that it usually only helps their hyperactivity, but not their concentration. Can you get a 90-day mail away prescription? It's usually a little bit cheaper that way. Good luck!

Closed Thread