It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
(male)

mikey1979 HB User
HELP!!! Need to stop adderall and having problems

I am trying to stop for a while to lower my tolerance as I have stated in previous post. I can get through a bit over a day without taking it and then I start to crave it and can't stop thinking about it. I tried having my girl friend hide the pills but I end up finding them(I know its stupid). I am down to one daily dose instead of two but I just get so tired and knowing that I have them it hard to not take em. Once I get through a couple days I'm fine since I have only been on it for a little over a month. I am gonna end up getting rid of the tomorrow and its 2 weeks before I refill so that will make it easier but. How do those of you that take days off do it? Cause its becoming a problem taking it everyday and is not an option to do so. The side effects are too much with everyday use and I fear how dependent I will become as time goes on, also the tolerance issue. Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: HELP!!! Need to stop adderall and having problems

Mikey,

You stated you have been on Adderall for one month. Has your doctor raised your dose? If so, how long have you been at your current dose?

Unless you are getting high from it, Adderall is not addictive. The craving for a high is the cause of Adderall addiction.

Why do you take too much? Is it A) to get high or B) to get relief?

Let's illustrate the difference. Let's say you suffer from migraines. Your doctor prescribes 10mg of MigrainErall. You get some relief but not enough. You pop a second MigrainErall and the migraine is gone.

Migraines have to be in the top ten causes of excruciating agony, in case you haven't had a migraine.

Back to MigrainErall. You have two weeks until next refill. The migraine is again torturing you. You girl has a few MigrainEralls. Do you ask for them?

MigrainErall is Adderall. The migraine is all the emotional trauma associated with ADHD. Why are you over dosing?

Be honest with yourself.

A) Is "relief" is driving you to take too much.
B) Or do you want a buzz?

How was life before Adderall?

That is how life will be again.

My money is on you are grossly under-medicated.

Let's us know your prescribed dose.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

Hi and thanks for replying. I started on 5mg ir 2x daily and after 2 weeks he upped me to 10mg and for the past 2 weeks I have been on 20mg ir tabs 2x a day. The side effects have driven me to seek a different dosing method because I can not have sex with my wife at all and it was starting to lose its positive effects due to tolerance and that I am on other meds that act to have a counter active effect on the adderall. I talked to my doctor and he said that I can take a couple days off a week if I want and I should have no problem doing so. But as to your question of getting a buzz from the adderall yes I did get a little buzz when I was first taking it, nothing to write home about but I would get energy for like an hour then I would mellow out and just get really focused. But that has stopped and my tolerance has gone up with everyday use and now I just get the neg sides. Thus the taking days off. I was put on adderall for ADD and because the other med I am on makes me extremely tired all day and I was falling asleep while driving everyday and at work. So it has become a never ending search for the right way to take it for me. I have cut down to one daily dose of 20mg just so I can get off easier initially but when I wake up the next day I'm so tired and blah that I end up talking myself into one more day. Needless to say I am adjusting my dose of my other med to account for days of adderall so I won't be as groggy from them. This drug is very tricky. Also I work second shift doing a physical type job and drive 45min each way 6 days a week. So I've come to rely on it for an energy boost and help me work hard all night. It has saved my job as I was always late and slacking off before and was written up. I know I need to just suck it up and not take up and its not gonna be that bad but I need to minimize the fatigue if possible so I don't get fired and up on the streets.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I'm confused. You have "tolerance" after a month? How can you tell?

I've been on the same dose for 3 years.

Pup

Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

Well I take the same dose and it stopped having any effect. No focus , no energy. Just left with the negative side effects. I'm sure the other meds I'm on have an effect on it also as they are both depress ants. So instead of continuing to up my dose(which my doctor offered). We decided I would take it as needed and take days off. He is the one that told me that its my tolerance along with the other meds contracting adderall. I am trying magnesium and ltyrosine when I don't take the adderall with minor success.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

I am very nervous now. I got rid of my remaining adderall and don't get a refill for 2 weeks so I'm afraid I'm gonna not be able to function. I also have pneumonia and just came down with it yesterday and went to the doctor today. Needless to say I'm very sick already and I could just use some reassurance that it shouldn't be that bad. Ugh. It never ends! Any thought and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

Please I'm already sick enough with a pneumonia. How bad and will withdrawals from 40mg ir a day for about a month be? I'm close to losing my job because of missed day from illnesses. I've already mise 5 days this year and I'm gonna be out tomorrow for sure. Will I end up really sick and tired? I'm really lost here. Please need some guidance???

Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

When I stopped stimulents I didn't get a withdrawel, no problems switching either. They are not like narcotics.

You may feel different because you arent taking speed but not sick or extra tired, just back to the way you were before you took it.

Pup

Last edited by pupcake; 01-25-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added info

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

You will likely experience some lethargy, but it shouldn't get any worse than that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
mikey1979 (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
(male)

mikey1979 HB User

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm not experienced with this type of med and I get nervous reading online about some people who stop and are miserable. Thanks

Closed Thread