It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User
Re: Inattention ADHD

Bob, Thank you for the info you have just posted and i can so agree with all of it! I also agree that there is more problems with the mental heath care system than everyone realises(sorry about the spelling) now than ever. Shrinks now days after they put you people on meds and we say they are having problem on them,shrink says well they havent been on them long enough or wont take any kind of suggestions on any other alternitive med thats worked in the past. On to Driven to Distraction, I went and found the book and started reading it and its awsome so far and thanks to you Bob commenting on the book, its already given me ideas to help my son with his ADHD and also with some ways to interact better with him on his level. THANKS again BOB!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

hlepforson HB Userhlepforson HB User

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and input. It's all been very helpful and gives me a lot to think about. One of the aspects of the conversation that make it so interesting is that the information comes from so many perspectives.

Bob,

I wanted to ask you about a few of the things you mentioned because you know so much about it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
"Driven to Distraction" years ago. I missed nearly all the great information the book contains on that first read.
Thanks for the recommendation. One of the frustrations at the moment is now that we are pursuing treatment we have to wait until the end of April for the appt! I bought the book and am looking forward to reading it.

Quote:
One of the symptoms listed in Driven to Distraction: "Inconsistent performance despite great effort. People with ADHD do great one hour and lousy the next, or great one day and lousy the next, regardless of effort and time in preparation. They go from the penthouse to the outhouse in no time at all!
This contribution was helpful today actually. Yesterday my son remembered all of his work (sometimes his teacher helps him with that however since there were weeks and weeks half of it never made it home) and he sat and finished all by himself. He checked off the list as we've been practicing and practicing. And last week his teacher said he did really well in his reading group and thought that some of the things she was trying were working.

Now today he is distracted and forgot the notebook he needs to bring home every day...as we've talked and talked about. Essentially he has one folder and one notebook that have to come home every day and it's been a very rare occasion when that happens without help.

On the plus side he had so many fascinating questions after school. We discussed the concepts of fate, time travel and black holes. But he's very emotional tonight and not doing well on focusing. It's going to be one of those nights when I have to be right there every minute or he's just going to keep asking me for things.

So when we think we're turning a corner... a great day when everything goes perfectly...and then back to the drawing board again it seems.

Quote:
Self talk enables us to make decisions that keep us on track toward achievement and resist urges to satisfy immediate gratifications at the cost of our future.
I'm not quite sure I understand self talk completely or how to teach my son more effectively. You're completely right in that he has no idea, truly no idea, why he can't remember things. Or forgets things. Everyone does of course but it's a daily/weekly/hourly issue for us.

But we talk about why it's important to bring home the notebook and the folder. How it needs to come home every day or he can't do his work. But it just aint happening.

Anyway, I appreciate anything anyone can tell me that will keep us moving forward until the drs appt. Once we get the full picture and complete recommendations we'll know where to start, but the idea of getting through until then is a little daunting.

When I spoke with his teacher and she mentioned that she was so pleased that he had a great week I told her that's wonderful but the next week may not be the same. I told her that it would have nothing to do with her, or us for that matter, and that she's a great teacher. This is true. And it's a good thing I suppose that my son's pretty smart and gets straight A's, but how that is we do not know since we only see half of his homework come home

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Lets clear up one misconception quickly. I don't kmow shoop about ADHD neurology and even less on its clinical psycological corelates. My consolation prize is I appear to know more than most low-life Lackawanna County Shrinks that have antracite coal dust stuck in their dark smelly cavernous anal sewage openings.

Someone told me that everyone in Bucks has megabucks. Is that true? I'll tell you outright all of us up in NEPA are flat broke except our favorite mob bosses and our trustworthy Luzerne county judges that didn't know taking tips to tune of 2.6 megabucks was illegal. The damn Feds jailed most of our rich, famous and respected judges and left us with no role models other than our God-Fathers.

</end sarcasm>

MomWithBigBucks,

I so tired I'm silly. Gots to go sleepy. I'll get back to tommorrow.

I really, really will.

Bob

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Bob,

I wanted to ask you these questions because you've contributed a lot of great information.

Quite honestly I'm hurt by your responce and you needn't answer my questions if you would rather not.

Not everyone in Bucks has money, but my personal story has no place here. It's irrelevant and unkind. I'm just trying to help my son during a very difficult time.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbucks View Post
Bob,

I wanted to ask you these questions because you've contributed a lot of great information.

Quite honestly I'm hurt by your responce and you needn't answer my questions if you would rather not.

Not everyone in Bucks has money, but my personal story has no place here. It's irrelevant and unkind. I'm just trying to help my son during a very difficult time.
I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. Humor attempt turned deadly. I have friends in Buck. I was attempting to play on a widely held misconception held up here in the norther tier. It developed over the years as many retirees from Phila moved north, out into country. I know Bucks county. My friends could be classed typical middle class, worked like hell, saved a buck or two, and have no need to worry over paying this months electric bill. In no sense, can they be considered rich. One family in particular took a hell of loss this past stock market crash. Overnight, they went from comfortable to stressful living as a result. Besides, ADHD is as much a nightmare for the fabulously rich as it is for lower economic classes.

Bucks is beautiful, not city, not primarily suburbia, nice wide properties, and a very nice place to live. Yep, there is few very wealthy families parked in Bucks. 99% of families in Bucks are like my friends. I've said to them when discussing money matters; "You can't have problems. Everyone in Bucks is rich." They laughed. They know I was playing on a misconception.

Please, please, forgive me.

I wrote down my thinking history since 6:00 AM to now. I couldn't figure any other way to help you or anyone else understand the internal working of an ADHD brain.

This AM buggy brain history:

It should make sense as you continue reading

7:30 Now on Notepad
Copy to Notepad

Copy Header --
How I Am This AM - Briefly Illustrate

Up 6:00 AM
Brain is in vicious cycling mood

I'm physically rested - mentally not fully recharge -
non-stop work past 7 days - I need to take a break and get out outside and play in the woods. That ain't happening today

In pre-ADHD remediation days, today would be an Outhouse day, I fell in the poop filled hole head first.

Today - No Problem - I know what to do
I'm copying from my hard copy notebook into NotePad.txt.
Oops - best save now - named file - stuff - saved in my ADHD folder

I'll keep habitually hitting crtl + S

My copy is my history for the past 1:45 hour

6:00 AM to 6:30 AM My habitual toiletry routine happens while brain is cycling = 0.1 cycles/sec.

I'm trying to think about the tasks and schedule for today.

Brain loads them all plus stuff I'd like to do - but can't - not today

Abbreviated cycle

This - currently a top priority
Eggs
2nd appt for today
This
How many ap ...
Eggs
When ...
Coff ...
Sched ..... ule
Decision ... safe to go habitual mode

While brain = 0.1 CPS ...
15 minutes later
I see a miracle with my eyes
A plate is on my table, on plate is 2 nicely fried eggs - no snot, not burnt either

1 piece toast buttered and jellied
1 Hugh cup java

Why a miracle - I didn't do it - not consciously

While brain = 0.1 CPS ...

Go to prime directive ...

Goto office, on desk there will be a hard copy notebook
In office - panic attack - notebook not on desk

Pooooooop - where is it?
Breathing and heart rate near red line
No where to be found in office - Office IS organized, no clutter and no notebook.

I dare note call Search and Rescue - She'll shoot me dead.
Don't mess with that women before she gets out of bed.
Did I leave it in Kitchen - not there
Core body temp ~109F
Where is it?
I carefully open BR door, don't wakeup the beast, There it is --- on my nightstand

Yes, now I remember - I took it bed with me to lookover today's stuff - I'll feel asleep before lookover.

Ahhhhh, my notebook
While writing in notebook - Brain CPS begins a rapid decrease 0.1; 0.5; 1, 10 30 CPS

Ahhhh, in lock. Calm and focus overtake me. Oh, the pill, is it working? - not yet - took it 15 mins ago.

Look at schedule
First biz appt. - 11:00 AM
Now I write in - prepped and in car 10:30
Stop this - 10:00 AM be prepared to forcefully pullout if needed.

Now, how the hell do I explain self-talk. It has to be the easiest concept in the universe, yet one of the most difficult to explain. Each of us talk to ourselves non-stop while awake.

Those without ADHD are talking to themselves about what I really wanted to talk to myself about this AM.

I couldn't. Conversation topic changed every 0.1 CPS. Maybe faster.

Why does my hardcopy notebook work for me?
1. I have one universal notebook. I'm copying from it now.
2. Said universal notebook is ALWAYS parked on my desk at day's end. It took me a half hour; 0.5 hour; 30 minutes to find my notebook this AM. I knew it was somewhere in the house. That saved me from a certain outhouse day.

Writing down my process flow stalls brain long enough to get one small detail "baby step" exclusively in working memory.

And the record persists the detail on hard drive paper. I'll need the detail later when I process the data.

Schedule and tasks - safely loaded in brain ram.

There isn't anything to process. Just follow my plan. No thinking involved. I may have to stop this before completed.

I'm running a seasonal business. My business workload is going up each day. Soon I'll have too little resources to complete this project. This project is vitally important for me. Perhaps another day, we can explain why?

Goto web. Post Stuff.txt.

Incidentally, I'm putting a copy on the table for the "beast" to read. She does the beast to beauty thing shortly after SHE decides to get out of bed. The woman will have a good laugh. The truth is so funny - ain't it.

End copy from notebook.

The truth is funny when both parties understand the motive. Understanding the person is understanding the motive.

I'm am an BUTT HOLE, the biggest in the universe.

Damn me, anyway. Of all people, I should be the one sensitive to the painful crisis you are experiencing. I hate myself.

I'll try a summary.

Please respond. Please, please.

Can you see how an ADHD brain processes info. Every problem we face, is solved using the same method. Get the facts, analyze the facts, draw a conclusion, test conclusion, draw decision tree.

1. The problem can be solved.
2. The problem can't solved.

1a. Keep iterating. More details come to light while implementing on 1.
2a. Find a way to deal with it. More details come to light while implementing on 2.

Sometimes path 1 leads to path 2.
Sometimes path 2, we discover that path1 is true. Problem can be solved.

Etc.

ADHD prevents us from the taking the first step.

A) Get the facts, analyze the facts, draw a conclusion, test conclusion, draw decision tree.

Every small step in A) requires a Top to Bottom attention function. Top to bottom means I must make the decision to call up attention resources. Attention resources are skills learned early in life and continue expanding until we drop. Attention skills become progressing automatic for everyone without ADHD. No child is aware of the attention skills learning process. Good parents such as yourself are trying hard to teach the attention skills. Teaching the child how to behave is how you are teaching attention skills. Everyone that posted added to your parenting an ADHD child skills.

Skills are developed through education, reflection, practice, outcome experience, begin iteration.

ADHD children grasp for the moment - course of conduct caused [result]. Brain cycling drops the thread almost instantly. The lesson isn't learned and the child can not reflect on the experience. As the child grows physically, his ability to progressively develop "self-talk" can remain years behind. We act like kids. Worse, stupid kids, ill mannered and irresponsible beyond comprehension.

The solution: Help your child develop the thinking patterns that children without ADHD develop. So easy to say. Very difficult to do. The assignment takes years of consistent practice using teaching skills that utilize and build on your child's MO. We have some ADHD caused advantages that easily can put us on top of the heap. The advantages have to be recognized and developed just like every other asset or talent or skill we naturally have. The best of the best musicians, for example, practice every day for hours. The natural potential is wasted until the person develops it.

Verucalise provided the absolutely best outline of how to raise an ADHD child.

Relate Verucalise methods to our ADHD stengths.

1. We interact well one-on-one. Verucalise guides her child by teaching him how to think. She doesn't rely on the methods that work well for children without ADHD.

Not-ADHD children learn through example and through the instructions of their parents. Parent example is the proof the child needs to believe their parents instructions. The child wants to do what is right. The guidelines given to children saves them from the horrible consequences that result from bad conduct. For example, no goodies until your homework is completed. If the child grows into adulthood without learning responsibility and the results produced by consistency, he'll max out either flipping burgers or in the slammer or shot dead by the dope dealer he doesn't pay.

Nothing new to you so far.

What doesn't work.

Set guideline, enforce consequences, consistency.

What does work.

Verucalise method. Set guideline. No goodies until homework is completed. Child fails to meet standard. He can't do his homework. He can't do it regardless of your teaching consistacy. He will never be able to do his homework on his own, until you walk him through the process many, many times.

People without ADHD have little consciouseness of life skills they use regularly.

Homework Process:

1. Study materials on desk, organized, ready to go, before homework start time.

2. Begin Verucalise Therapy:

You: What are we going to learn this evening?

Boy: I don't know.

YOu: Hmn, lets see. Oh wow, I didn't know that if a hummingbird had the size of a human, he need 20,000 burgers (250,000 calories) a day to stay alive. Wow, they can flap their wings so fast, hummingbirds fly helicopters. A hummingbird can ever fly backwards. Holy Hell!! <-Delete

The boy will come on line. Point him to his bird textbook. Ask him to read next paragraph.

You: What do you think. Holy Hell mom, dats a crazy bird. If you don't delete, he will remember the evil for sure if nothing else.

So, interact with him with a view to teaching him the process of study. He'll get it. Then when boy doesn't do his homework, he gets no goodies. He screams hollers and curses like me. Sit the boy on the steps and ask him how he what's to be disciplined for screaming and hollering. He gets extra time for that second crime. Read more Verucalise.

10:00 AM - got to go. I'll be sick all day for my crime. I deserve it and WILL remember the consequences and won't do that again. For sure, I'll do something bad, but won't be from saying anything likely to be taken wrongly. Best practice: Do NOT say things likely to offend in any context. Too dangerous. People I love get hurt. That sucks and so do I.

Bob

The following user gives a hug of support to addprogrammer:
hlepforson (02-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
hlepforson (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

Don't give it another thought Bob. You're very sweet so don't worry about it. Part of the problem with the web, and this has happened to me more than once, is that things we say don't come across as we meant them to.

You've been through a lot so that's why what you share is so helpful. It takes courage and care to use your experiences to help others.

I was having a really bad night with my son last night. It was all the more upsetting because we had such a good night before that. Your description of how there is an inconsistency in those things changed my views on it and made a difference.

My son had a cold so any restraint he can muster goes right out the window and I was repeating myself over and over and over again....Anyway, I'm sure you understand.

I am really looking forward to the book you recommended. It will gelp get us through until the appt. I'm sorry for being so oversensitve.

Be nice to yourself today. You deserve to be.

Last edited by hlepforson; 02-24-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

And while it's not relevant, on top of everything else my son is getting kidney surgery tomorrow. Nothing too serious. I'm sure he'll be fine. But we're all a bit of a mess and not thinking right. I'm just too emotional right now to process things well.

Bob, don't beat yourself up anymore. I mean it. You're a good guy.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mominbucks,

Thanks for the discipline. I hope you don't mine me thinking of you as Mymominbucks. Unless you are at least 78 yo, you couldn't possibly be my mom. Hey, no problem. MyVirtualMominbucks. That works.

I did feel bad today. Our brains our setup to reward us for good stuff we do and beat snot out of us when we do evil. Trying to justify or minimize my evil to get out of the beating my brain decided to give me would have been adding evil on top evil. I'd continue behaving in a way I do not want behave.

Thank you for your understanding. I can put it behind me and move forward better now than ever.

I'm so sorry to hear about child's physical problems. There just may be a silver lining to another towering thunderhead moving overhead. Hmn, could there be a connection, between son's symptoms to his kidney problem. You did say he does not fit the ADHD profile.

Let's look at a great working model that explains well how ADHD develops.

Interaction between a number of genetic abnormalities, each of minor consequence → ADHD genome type.

ADHD genome + random variations + environment → ADHD phenome type. Phenome is the resultant, actual ADHD traits.

ADHD genome predisposes ADHD. Environmental stressors causes the genome weakness to develop into ADHD.

Could kidney problems be the environmental stressor? Positively.

Is it the stressor? You'll need a FEW good doctors to make that determination.

If it is determined that kidney problems are the trigger, ADHD therapy would revolve around managing the kidney disease.

Any and all medication therapies not center on the kidney problem are positively doomed to fail and could cause much more damage.

Got to go. Let me know how your boy is doing.

Bob

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Inactive
(female)

Well Bob, I am not 78 yet, but sure, I'll adopt you. My brother's name is Bob so now there will be two. "This is my brother Bob and this is my other brother Bob...."

Fortunately the kidney operation is to correct an obstruction and should be resolved all in one go. It has caused problems over the years and unknown to us this was the cause.

We are the ever changing sum of so many variables that I've resolved to just moving foward. If I don't I'll start blaming myself for my son taking too many spills on his head and beating myself up. Not helpful.

Before the kidney diagnosis we were in the midst of having the ADHD diagnosed and that sprang out of nowhere. My son's teacher, and me for that matter, had reached the end of our teather with the forgetting things, losing things, daydreaming about things, interrupting things we were saying as though he hadn't heard us at all. Anyway, one hurdle at a time. Like I mentioned though, I'm so glad you recommended that book because I think it will help us in the meantime.

Anyway, the VirtualMominbucks will sign out for now. Thanks for everything and take care.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mom,

Sorry. You stuck with me now.

I am going to get revenge for you.

My appointments yesterday were with some of the gas guys that recently moved into "Dodge." Up in Susquehanna County a fraction of the many old family diary farms remain. The farmers that were just too stubborn to throw in the cows, drove around in old rusted out Lincolns.

One of the remaining dairy farmed properties, about 400 acres, now has a gas well or two. The farmer's income is currently $200,000 - ready for this - per month.

So, next time I'm down your way, I'll be struting around, "cough, cough... did I mentioned I'm from Susquehanna, not the river, the County. That's right, I am filthy, blooding, RICH."

My Susquehanna address is what we call an approximation; Closer than you are.

In a few years, everyone in the Philly area will be saying, "everyone in Susky is filthy rich."

When you hear it with you own ears, remember who started a little, what shall we call it, not a lie, an approximation.

Robert (you can't call someone of my stature, Bob)

Back to work. Can't play today.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

MominBucks, your son sounds so much like my oldest daughter! She is 7 years old, and I am pretty sure she has inattentive ADD.

One of the first things I always go to when a parent comes on these boards with a child that may be ADD, are diet, exercise and sleep. What kind of diet does your son eat? Does he get a good amount of exercise (30 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.... and by, "exercise" I'm talking about even just playing outside in the backyard). Does your son get the recommended 10-11 hours of sleep a night (almost impossible at his age with all the homework he's given, I'm sure!)? I changed all these things with my daughter and saw a world of difference in her!

May I ask how you and your husband react when your son starts the emotional tantrums? You mentioned that he never does that at school, only at home. I wonder if it's because of how you react to him when he does it? I only ask because my daughter is the same way. She freaks out at home over tiny little things but NEVER at school! I think it's because I probably react in such a WRONG way to her freaking out.... something I'm working on, but when you reach your limit, it's so hard to NOT scream, you know??? So I was just curious as to how you react, if there are similarities between what you and I do, and if we can help each other there?

Have you tried lists and notes? I make lists for my daughter whenever I want her to actually complete any tasks at home! Her teacher has started doing the same thing for her at school, and it really helps her. If there is something I need my daughter to remember at school, I send her with a note. I then usually slip a note into her lunch box, and maybe even another one in her backpack, too! Always a nice, "I love you, have a great day!" note, with a PS - don't forget....[X].... and a happy face! She loves getting happy notes and it's a good way to gently remind her of what she needs to do without being nagging about it.

Also, I love what Thunor said about his parents and how he was raised. Yeah. A good stable routine is key. Let your son know the rules and what he is expected to do, and don't let him get away with anything just because he may have ADD. He CAN help himself, it just takes practice!

Geez, I had a bunch more stuff to write, but I'm sitting on the hard floor, and to be honest, my rear end hurts to the point of distraction (ADD does that to a person.... did I mention I have ADD too?)!

So I'll write more tomorrow. Oh, and hidden in this message is a whole lot of love and support and compassion and all that.... I just suck at putting those things into words! I do hope things can get better for you and that something in my words can help! Hang in there!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #27
Inactive
(female)

Well Robert, I'm not sure what all that is about so all I can say is that we liked you before you were rich and famous.

I just got the book you recommended and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm going to need the extra help with my son home from school after his operation. In addition to addressing the ADHD issues that he's having it turned out that he had a rare urological polyp as well. He's going to be fine, but trying to do any work with him now so that he doesn't fall behind is going to do my head in. Trying to figure out how all of this affects his behavior is going to be more than complicated.

Thanks for helping out Marisuela. I've always tried to give my son a good diet with fruits, vegetables, few processed foods, all natural ingredients and all that kind of stuff. I make smoothies with fruit which he really likes, but of course vegetables are more of a challenge. His school lunch is probably something I need to look into because as healthy as they say they're making them now days I'm not sure how true that is.

My son hates sports and all he likes is swimming really. He's very much a computer kindof kid. We walk home from school when we can and do active stuff on the weekend. We had him join a jogging club and an afterschool program. He doesn't sleep well however and that has been very frustrating. Another difficulty lies in that by the time we finish homework, etc, etc, it's late and there's no time for much else during the week.

I guess the long and short of it is that it's difficult.

And you have some great suggestions but much of it we've tried and it just hasn't worked. My son's teacher has been teaching for 30+ years and what's worked for her in the past isn't now.

We've done lists, charts, tied strings to his backpack. His teacher has made check off lists and had other students help him. I should try sending him in with notes, but honestly I think they may get lost in his backpack or desk and may not help. He's so disorganized and wouldn't remember his head if it weren't already there.

I don't know....since he's been sick I can't really compare him to other situations. I am going to try...really try...not to get incredibly frustrated this week. He's on medication and that is so not going to help.

As for discipline it varies and it feels like we've tried everything. Sent him to his room, taken away computer time, kept calm while he cries over having to do homework and praise him when he does well. I can't say that I don't lose my temper or that his Dad doesn't as well, but overall we do our best to get through the day and are grateful when we can make some progress however small it is. Everyone in my son's life is very much looking forward to the psychiatrist appt.

We tell each other that we love each other all the time and have kisses and hugs. I tell him all of the time that I love him and am proud of him which I am. But he's telling me that we have the wrong book at home and he can't do his work which I know isn't true because his teacher sent it home. Please keep your fingers crossed for me over the next coming months.

Well I'm not sat on the floor but being beckoned into the other room so I better go. Thanks as always for helping out.

Last edited by hlepforson; 02-28-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

When you say he doesn't sleep well, can you describe what you mean? Like does he get up in the night, or have bad dreams, or what?

Good for you for keeping him on a good diet! That is a huge hurdle that a lot of parents face with an ADD child, that you don't have to deal with (my daughter's symptoms are exaggerated 100 times over when she's eating junk! Can you imagine your son's behaviors 100 times worse?). I am sure you already do this, but if you don't, make sure you limit your son's time on the computer daily. Do what you can to get him outside in the fresh air. I know it's easier said than done, especially if he doesn't like it, but keep trying, cause it does help.

Do you allow him to fail? I know I'm one of those parents who will move heaven and earth to keep my daughter from failing. If there is homework to do and she hasn't told us until midnight, and it's due tomorrow and it's something huge like make a paper mache' something or other.... I will make sure it gets done so that she doesn't get bad grades. BUT is that the right thing to do? Is my daughter learning anything from that? I have no idea. It's something I've debated a lot lately..... so I was curious as to what you think.

Last thing, and then I have to calm a fussy baby.... have you read any of my other posts about a supplement called Attentive Child? I found it at a whole foods market. It has done wonders for my daughter. I don't sell it or make any money off of recommending it (though I wish I did, cause I tell everyone about it!). I definitely think it's worth looking into for your son.

Again, hope something here was helpful....

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #29
(female)

GOPHERGAL89 HB User

I'm sorry you're in this place - not fun. Without more information, it's difficult to know what he's dealing with. He needs a full evaluation (which you said you are doing) with a licensed and qualified therapist. Once he's diagnosed, you will know what you're dealing with and then you can look at therapies and treatments to move forward.

Start with the evaluation first. Make that your priority right now. Treatment can't occur until you know what you're treating.

Hang in there and don't get ahead of yourself.

Closed Thread