It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

PRmom HB User
Concerta Question

My 8 year old son started Concerta last weekend and his teacher sent me lots of message saying how well he was doing in class. The dr told me to skip weekends and holidays. So I didn't give it to him on sat,sun, mon,tues (holidays) and started again today, weds. The teacher wrote me a message saying he was back to his "old self". Do you think it was a fluke that his behavior was so great last week or do you think it's because he wasn't on the medication for 4 days. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Concerta Question

While it goes contrary to established wisdom on the subject, I find that I need several days of stimulant treatment to reach full efficacy. I tend to avoid taking days off when possible, as I do experience reduced effect on subsequent days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
(male)

amudgarden HB User

In my experience (both my son and I are on Concerta), even if we skip a day, the medication works as well as ever when we take it again. But, keep in mind that everyone's biology is different, so its possible your son will react differently to the meds (in addition to whatever dosage he's on)...

Most importantly, I have learned to sometimes take what the teacher says with a grain of salt. They are not psychiatrists, and sometimes they lose their patience and jump to judgments that are not medically relevant. If it were me, I'd give it at least a week or two before making any conclusions.

Last edited by amudgarden; 02-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to amudgarden For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (02-27-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Or, maybe your son just had a hard time sitting in the classroom after a gorgeous warm weekend. I find my medicine works BETTER if I don't take it every day

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (02-27-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

TammTamm HB User

I have heard its a short short lived med starts good then doesnt work at all just what I have heard

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Or, maybe your son just had a hard time sitting in the classroom after a gorgeous warm weekend. I find my medicine works BETTER if I don't take it every day
JaneTheBrain,

How are you able to see the always see the obvious when I can't? An obvious possibility, that is, this case.

Don't tell me you ain't smart, cuz you is.

Dumbob (last "b" silent)

Closed Thread