It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

stormy46 HB User
I'm New does anyone know

Anything about Cymbalta I know It isn't for ADD but my doctor says it can be used for AdHd which I have. I have dry mouth which they say is common but also a sore throat and have had bad hurt burn and I think I hallinaed seeing a bug on my bed. I also have anxiety which I have read you shouldn't take medicine for ADD or AdHd? any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: I'm New does anyone know

I have no first hand experience with Cymbalta, so the following information and advice is based on my own research, rather than experience.

First, Cymbalta is a norepinephrine and seratonin reuptake inhibitor. While it's not a front line treatment for ADHD, the fact that it acts on norepinephrine means that it may have positive effects on ADHD symptoms. I notice that Cymbalta is a front line treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. My guess is that your doctor is trying the treat the anxiety as your primary concern, while using a medication that can have positive effects on ADHD as well.

In regards to what you've heard about ADHD medications exacerbating anxiety, you shouldn't have a problem with Cymbalta, as it's generally stimulant meds that cause anxiety to become worse.

On the other hand, if you're suffering side effects like you describe, I would certainly discuss them with your doctor. I did not find references to hallucinations or heartburn in my research, but that's not to say that Cymbalta can't be responsible, or even that interaction between Cymbalta and another med may be the problem.

In summary, give your doctor a call and let him know your side effect concerns. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: I'm New does anyone know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunor View Post
I have no first hand experience with Cymbalta, so the following information and advice is based on my own research, rather than experience.

First, Cymbalta is a norepinephrine and seratonin reuptake inhibitor. While it's not a front line treatment for ADHD, the fact that it acts on norepinephrine means that it may have positive effects on ADHD symptoms. I notice that Cymbalta is a front line treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. My guess is that your doctor is trying the treat the anxiety as your primary concern, while using a medication that can have positive effects on ADHD as well.

In regards to what you've heard about ADHD medications exacerbating anxiety, you shouldn't have a problem with Cymbalta, as it's generally stimulant meds that cause anxiety to become worse.

On the other hand, if you're suffering side effects like you describe, I would certainly discuss them with your doctor. I did not find references to hallucinations or heartburn in my research, but that's not to say that Cymbalta can't be responsible, or even that interaction between Cymbalta and another med may be the problem.

In summary, give your doctor a call and let him know your side effect concerns. Best of luck.
I agree with Thunor. Do a little research on anecdotal reports about withdrawal symptoms people have experienced when discontinuing Cymbalta. Other meds that affect Serotonin/Norepi usually cause nasty to extreme withdrawals. For example, 78% of those taking Effexor have withdrawal symptoms. Almost 10%, experience withdrawals so severe they end up in the hospital or on Effexor for life. Some have died. The withdrawal death rate is significantly over other medications used for similar reasons.

True, stimulants do worsen anxiety except when the anxiety is a direct result of ADHD. Then stimulants become the best anti-anxiety meds in town.

Paradoxical reactions from ADHD medications are so common, typical reactions should be listed as uncommon -- a little hyperbole there to make the point - but very little exaggeration.

Bob

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
constantthinker (02-27-2011)
Closed Thread