It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
(male)

DoublePolar HB User
Adderall prescription & Bi-polar?

Just researched Bi-Polar disorder and I'm 95%+ sure that I have the disorder...I'm currently on Adderall because of the fact that I faced a lot of the symptoms of being BP, mostly fatigue. What's the next step after self-diagnosis? Besides going to the doctor, what more can I do?
I'm 25 and have never had a job because of this, yet I've never been prescribed to anything or mentioned any negative effects to my doctor, ever.
I should have realized this a long time ago judging by the symptoms. I've been to college and tried to take classes about 6 separate times without success. Although I'm typically smarter than most people I'm surrounded by, I feel like it's impossible to actually complete a semester of classes.
What meds are the best ones to take?
What do I do in order to make up for lack of being able to work?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderall prescription & Bi-polar?

DoublePolar,

Are you prescribed Adderall for chronic fatigue?

Have you experienced at least one mild to severe manic episode?

Do you understand the symptoms of mania and hypo-mania? Hypo means, in this case, not crippling, does not require hospitalization, yet significantly impairs day-to-day functioning.

RE: Besides going to the doctor, what more can I do?

Make sure you can answer all of the above questions with "YES."

Please post your answers.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
DoublePolar (02-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
(male)

DoublePolar HB User

Appreciate the concern and response
The relationship I have with my doctor isn't very open. I've rarely told him when I actually thought something was wrong, except in the case where I actually told him why I think I needed Adderall. Adderall makes me focus and usually a lot more positive, while giving me the side effects that make me hyper and sometimes jittery, dry mouth, lack of sleep, etc. The side effects don't really bother me at all, until basically the high wears off and I come down from the increased period of energy.
Before that though, I always had problems sleeping anyways and have always had pretty abnormal sleep habits because of anxiety/racing thoughts type stuff. Never told my doctor any of this though, as I rarely ever go except to get cleared for sports and stuff.
I am aware of each type of BP disorder, as I've researched it almost all day.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
(male)

DoublePolar HB User

And also, my father is the only 'normal' one. I'm almost a carbon copy of him, looks and everything. He has no problem getting to work every day and seems to sleep just fine, unlike all of us. He now lives on his own because my nutso mom drove him out. They're still on good terms, as he has to pay for all of us still, but he just couldn't handle her alcoholism/bp/crazy spells.
It's 2:37 AM right now and me, my brother, and mom are all awake. I've been up for almost 48 hours and took 6 mg of Melatonin to make me fall asleep but I keep fighting it. Only thing that makes me sleep now are anti-depressants like Xanax and Kpins. IDK what to do anymore.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

DoublePolar,

Sorry I'm so long getting back. My biz workload is why.

The next thing you MUST do is find a good, I mean a very good shrink. The shrink you choose will determine whether you have a happy, functional, productive life or live in absolute misery and poverty. The shrink selection process is not easy. If you can, get referrals from people that have actually been HELPED. I couldn't care less how much someone likes Dr. Shrinker. Dr. Shrinker SUCKS unless he has HELPED the referring patient.

Believe me, there is a fix for what ails you. However, if you go to a shrink that is following the rules established 10 years ago, that shrink will screw you up so bad, you will wish you were dead. Much has been learned recently by psychiatric research scientists will not appear in post grad "how to shrink" textbooks for years. The generation of shrinks now being licensed were taught methods now proven ineffective and in some cases, down right destructive.

A few of said shrinks out there are psychiatrists of the highest caliber. These doctors of psychiatry get my respect. I call them Doctor. The rest I call Butt Holes where BUTT is a euphemism for a word I can't use on this family oriented board.

The psychiatrists I respect are always current. When research convincingly proves new methods better than methods in use with FDA approval, these psychiatrists invoke their privilege to use medications off-label. You must find a psychiatrist of that sort. Or YOU ARE SCREWED.

If you trouble locating a psychiatrist, post again, and I'll recommend a psychiatrist you can absolutely trust. You cannot afford seeing a shrink. Hey, a few true shrinks are still practicing in the jungles of the Amazon. Those boys can resize your dead head right proper.

Bob

Closed Thread