It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
(male)

canuckfan HB User
Downsides?

I'm looking at getting myself diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. I'm not sure which one i might have, but I feel confident in the fact that I have one. The issue is, im not sure what some of the downsides would be. My friend said he doesn't think I'd want that hanging over me. Could a diagnosis hinder me later in life? What are some risks of the medications?

Any and all help is appreciated

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Downsides?

Well, if you chose to become a pilot or enter the military, it might be an issue. But in most careers, your health records remain private unless you choose to disclose.

Side effects of medication tend to be things like headaches, reduced appetite or trouble sleeping. Too high a dose can make you very jittery. Some people have to try several medicines before they find one that works without bad side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
(male)

canuckfan HB User

ok, and what if i have contemplated a career in the military field?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jane already answered that question.

Read again carefully JaneWhite's reply.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

canuckfan HB User

i did read it. i was curious as to how much it might affect that possibility

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm not sure exactly what the policies in Canada are. In the US, it is not an absolute barrier, but you have to show that you can fulfill your duties WITHOUT medication, and you have to have been off meds for a while (typically at least a year) before you sign up, and it becomes much harder to apply for certain elite units or positions.

If you believe you may have ADHD but do NOT want to be labeled, I recommend learning as much about the condition as possible. Perhaps you can find someone to help you learn non-drug management techniques, a professional organizer or some such. Some people are able to use caffeine in place of prescription stimulants.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
canuckfan (02-28-2011)
Closed Thread