It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User
ADD and math impairments

So, I told my math teacher I was diagnosed with ADD, and I would have my Doctor inform the appropriate people. But, I'm using this as an excuse more than anything. Can ADD significantly impair math performance? We're mainly graded through tests, and I've explained to my teacher through email that I have a lot of trepidation when it comes to test taking (+ADD), so it interferes with my performance rather than my comprehension of the material. But, perhaps my particular case lends itself to comprehension issues, mathmatically speaking. I've never been one to go that deep into Quantitative thought. I've avoided it as I've developed an aversion to it. At this point, I'm suspecting either ADD, Dyscalculia, or an extremely high level of math anxiety coupled with lethargy. I just don't know what to think anymore about all this...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

joyrjw HB User
Smile Re: ADD and math impairments

Hi Tryagain121,

I haven't been diagnosed with ADD, but I believe that I have the Inattentive type.

Anyway,I don't know if this will help you or not,but I also have Dyscalculia. I know that I have trouble paying attention in class, my mind wandering and I have trouble listening to the instructor talk, so that definitely influences my learning abilities.

I also have trouble with comprehending sequences(a trait of dyscalculia) and I tend to have problems with flipping numbers around on paper or verbally, I can't remember numbers or words/symbols related to numbers (i'm a doing better than I used to) and I have trouble with numerical visualization(also getting better)

I get lost easily, another trait that's fairly common with people who have dyscalculia(once again, that's getting better too) and I have test anxiety (that's just about any test though )

I hope this helps at least a little. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to joyrjw For This Useful Post:
TryAgain121 (03-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: ADD and math impairments

Guys,

I always reverse sequence and logic 180 degrees.

Flip it over and it works.

I got a good grasp on math. I learned nearly all of the more complex stuff by programming different models. I got the code (stole it) that will make Halley's Comet wipe around the sun. This comet has a long elipitical orbit that wraps closely around the sun and travels out beyond the end of the solar system and circling back for another fly by.

The math that defines the elipse uses three complex formulas. Keplers, Newtons, and Eulers. Kepler figured out the formula that defines the shape of the elipes. Newton figured out gravity and mass, in this case the sun, and Euler figured out how to move a point along the orbit that becomes our fake Halleys Comet.

Stick with me. The math formulas are pretty complex. In math notation that look like Greek to me. I guess cuz the Greek alphabet DID get turned into math.

However the computer code is as simple as pie. Not apple. That 3.1416 pie.

Let me show you how simple. Ok, you will not understand but that doesn't matter. Just understand how simple the code is for the Euler comet mover.

"double" - means a bucket that can hold a big number with lots of digits
on the right of the decimal.
const double G = 6.67e-11; // Newton's constant force of gravity
const double M = 1.99e30; // Mass of the Sun in kg
The Aphelion is the elippses long ways.
double rAphelion = 5.28e12; // aphelion distance in meters
double vAphelion = 9.12e2; // aphelion speed in meters/second

The Euler Algorithm expressed as a C++ function.

We are going to feed this function
this stuff
dt (step size),
x pos in
y pos (stays 0)
vx speed of x in
vy (stays 0)

void EulerStep(
const double dt,
double& x,
double& y,
double& vx,
double& vy) // end function in/out params
{
// the stuff that follows is C++ notation for Eulers comet mover
// It looks simple as can be in comparison to math notation
double r = sqrt(x*x + y*y);
double ax = - G*M*x / (r*r*r);
double ay = - G*M*y / (r*r*r);
x += vx * dt;
y += vy * dt;
vx += ax * dt;
vy += ay * dt;
}
// Euler's function spits out the new moved around the orbit path comet position.

We put it in a loop and around and around the comet goes.
I can watch it wing around being repeatedly drawn on the window with a black background, fake space.

What if I screw up the code. My comet does weird things. Immediately I know I screwed up. Check it fix it try again. It works.

I just learned how to solve a complex 3 part math problem by having fun watching my fake comet wing a around my fake sun. BTW, the orbit is just as it is in real life. Those Newton type guys were smart sons-a-guns.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
TryAgain121 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I also struggle with number reversals, or dropping negative signs. It's a running joke with my students, and trying to catch my mistakes keeps them paying attention. I also have trouble right and left. When I'm giving directions to my husband, he says, "That left," pointing left, "or that left?" pointing right.

I cannot understand a math lecture to save my life, so I always just taught myself. I think one reason it's so difficult is that math is linear. You miss one word, it's possible you won't understand anything said in the next ten minutes. (At higher levels, you could be lost for the rest of the 2-hour lecture!) In a history lecture, you miss one word and you may have lost one fact, but you can pick up again right away.

(High school math class was like torture, having to do all those boring examples over and over again, always making silly mistakes. The worst were the teachers who took the silly mistakes as evidence that I needed even MORE practice.)

I've found a few solutions. Computers are your friend. So are systems, and doing it exactly the same way every time. When doing polynomial long division, I had a terrible time losing negative signs. I worked out a method for keeping track. The key is circling the signs as you change them, to remember when they are changed. Now I teach it to my students.

I have to learn top down (the big picture, then the details.) I cannot memorize a formula I don't understand, so for me, WHY is the most important question. In graduate school, I was blessed with an advisor who seems to think about math the same way I do, and he helped me out with some topics I just couldn't grasp.

You may find that a computer learning program is better for you than a lecture style classroom. Certainly my computer lab class is much more engaged than my regular classroom. Also, a recent article on pedagogy described a new way of dealing with test anxiety: Take 10 minutes before the test and write down what you are anxious about.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 09:43 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
joyrjw (03-02-2011), TryAgain121 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

I'll make mistakes with simple addition, such as (any number) + 1. When my "teacher" (this class uses and individualized approach) went over my test, she was accomodating me, going over my errors, but I was thoroughly embarrassed about my simple errors while doing multi column multiplication, of course my poor handwriting was probably partially to blame, as I was probably confusing numbers because they became illegible at points.

You make an interesting point about computer based learning, I just don't like having my mistakes pointed out in front of everyone, especially when they are so simple. This class is not a lecture one, more work at your own pace and then do the tests to gauge your comprehension of the material. Computer-based would most likely be better for me, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Well, update, I took the IQ test, and his estimate (won't know till next week full results), was between 110-118 (up or down etc), but he said he saw the anxiety was a dampening effect. He said anxiety can impair up to 30 points. Anyway, I know I struggled with Block Design, Matrix Reasoning, Arithmetic. He said I "blew him away" with the Vocabulary, I only missed one question. Big whoop.

I pretty much knew going in I wasn't going to score noticeably high, but it sucks having all these mental issues and not having a decent enough level of intelligence to compensate. I mean, he said it was a conversative view of my intelligence, and he would write that in the summary, also the estimation he gave could go up or down, I'm guessing the latter. It was depressing, but at the same time I knew I had to bite the bullet or it would gnaw at me forever. It really sucks to have your worst fears pretty much confirmed.

Last edited by TryAgain121; 03-03-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

removed

Wanna know what? I learn Top - Down. Why should I want to know pollynumericals

deleted

Evidently all of us MUST operate the same way or NO way, that ain't the way schools want us too. The entire system of education is most ADHD unfriendly. They are crazy. NOT us.

TryAgain, you have nothing to worry about. Just figure out how your brain works. You'll have people thinking you are far smarter than you really are. It is about time. Everyone has always believed lies about you. Let's turn the tables on those real bozos.

Freaking stop worrying about IQ. NOW. I know I said I wouldn't holller at you no mo. I ain't holllering. I am crying with joy for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: inappropriate

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
TryAgain121 (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Well, this is something I wat to discuss with Psych next meeting, but he said anxiety can impair as much as thirty points. Now, I'm not saying it impaired that much, hell--I don't even know what my official score is yet, I could be close to MR. But on block design, he commended me on the first few, but I got stuck on one and I just couldn't conceptualize how to do it, I had significant anxiety during that subtest, as well as the visual one and arithmetic, I foretold of difficulties in two of those areas and he agreed.

As far as what I know now--vocabulary didn't translate to a higher intelligence really. It seemed I gauged my abilities somewhat accurately, well with anxiety included at least. I don't know the full score, like I said, but he told me to "not freak out" which really isn't a good sign. I doubt he'll come back and say I'm "gifted." I'd trade my vocabulary any day for higher mental faculties.

Also, I had an inadequate amount of sleep the night before, I'm not sure how much that plays a role, not to mention my constant depression. Meh, I guess I'm making excuses now.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

TryAgain,

25 self-made living billionaires never graduated college. Some of them never graduated HS. All of the 25 billionaires hired college grads including PhD's, to manage the details. We DO NOT DO details well. We DO big picture exceptionally well.

I have always been a businessman first. As such, I've attended seminars designed to teach business skills. Let me warn you about how top level managers think. I was taught that the best way to hire good talent cheap is through the use of titles. Americans are more interested in status than salary. Janitors are jokingly titled "sanitation engineers." In larger organizations, the boss of the janitors is literally titled VP of Environmental Services. The guys most responsible for patients leaving a hospital alive are the janitors. Hospital Janitors start at $30,000 with benefits worth another $40K in PA, only $10,000 less in salary than a typical college grad.

The irony of it all, some of those "sanitation engineers" are college grads that lost jobs in the field of their training or couldn't get work on graduation. These same degreed janitors are in position to become VP of Environmental Services as soon as there is an opening. The grads snubbing "sanitation engineer" positions work at McDonalds while waiting for a prestigious job in any field. The jobs they trained for are gone forever or the competition for them is 1 position for every 5,000 qualified applicants.

I like selling because of who I am at the core. "Oh, I could never be in sales" that is what everyone tells me. What is so hard about it?

I'll give you a true life account about a sale I made last week. I can't do hypotheticals.

I got the name of the manager I needed to see by going to the office beforehand. I asked the girls in the office, "who's top gun around here?" (my literal words). The girl asks, which top gun? "Purchaser of contract services." Girl says jokingly, "the one who thinks he's top gun is [name]." Name is what I wanted. I asked, "Are you satisfied with your land service provider?" Girl says "They suck." (girls literal words).

In the meeting with the top gun. After the usual minute of intros and BS, "I understand TopSlop, Inc. is doing your work up in (county name). Are you satisfied with them? I see eyeballs rolling, face contorting, finally, Top Gun says "they suck." Me: "I can solve all your problems, all of them, for you forever." We chuckle a little. "Give me the contract." Top Gun "how much." You get "TopJob" services for the same price you're paying for TopSlop.

I knew he needed some proof so I asked, "do you happen to know "Neil" over at "Top Gas." Yep.

Then I told Top Gun the absolute truth. "Look, I'm a start-up. In fact, Neil got me in." I can't handle all of your land service work. Give me a little piece conditionally. See how I do."

Top Gun says I think we may be able to do business. I replied that I did not expect a signed and sealed deal today. I thought you'd probably want something in writing." Top Gun smiles. "And I'm certain you want to give Neil a holler." Top Gun nodes.

I got the contract.

The universal principles governing sales are: 1) to know what the customers NEEDS are. 2) show the customer how to satisfy their needs.

I'd rather be successful and viewed as a moron, than I would being a moron viewed as successful.

I cannot give more than what I just gave you. I have for sometime wanted to share with my younger counterparts things that if I knew when young would have made a monumental difference. My mission is hereby completed.

Bob

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: removed details.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

About the math thing...well, like I said as I kid I wasn't so far behind my peers in that area, but I was homeschooled for a few years, while my ADHD was in full swing, my old man tried to teach me basic algerbra, I think that was when I developed an aversion to the subject. My algerbra teacher claimed I was very intelligent, and the only way he could assess that was my math ability. I mean, I know currently I'm BAD at math, but my CAPACITY is what matters and I'm not sure where that is at the moment.

Interesting fact, preliminary findings suggest that schizophrenics and those afflicted with bipoler score lower on Block Design and I can already tell that wasn't one of my better subtests. Strange, though, I've heard others say vocabulary is good indicator of general intelligence, however, it must not be a perfect indicator in my case, as there were disparity in tests. I think I'm going to talk to psych about taking the supplemental tests, perhaps not all at once. My attention was flagging even at the beginning. I don't know, with with anxiety depression and my own particular aversions, I think I am too anomalous to be scored accurately--high or low, that might seem crazy but whatever.

As far as your personal story goes, that's great you applied your strengths as sales/businessman. I'm just hoping for me my weaknesses don't override my strengths and lead to my undoing.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Just as far as math class, have you ever looked into various devices for learning disabilities? I know there's some sort of tool that keeps columns straight, for example.

I second what Bob said about finding your strengths. Now, there are some things everyone should be capable of. You should be able to wash your shirts without changing their color and prepare yourself a sandwich without setting the kitchen on fire. You should have basic oral and written communication skills, and some ability to get on with others by seeing their point of view. And you should know how to balance a checkbook.

But one of the delightful things about growing up is that you have a lot more choices. For example, I almost never have to learn important information by sitting in a crowded room listening to someone drone on about it! I do not have to learn a foreign language, which I'm terrible at, and I don't have to make freehand drawings.

Apparently I'm having a very radial-thinking day, but there are already some epic posts on this thread, so I'll go with it.

My terrible drawing skills make me think of 2 things:

1) I once had to draw a diagram of a woman getting an x-ray (Very long story.) Knowing my terrible artist skill, I did it like a mathematician, measuring my own body, then scaling down and putting that on the paper.

2) My attempts at blackboard art are yet another way to break up the intellectual demands of 80-minute math classes. "Car Hit A Brick Wall" (which looked like a bubble with a smiley-face inside and an accordion on the front) was a classic, I swear some students kept giggling every time they looked at it for the rest of class.

The best parts of calculus are where physics gets involved. I was trying to explain how crumple zones keep drivers alive by slowing the deceleration of the passenger compartment.

Anyway, there are things you can do which are awesome. Find them. Get out there. Do them.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (03-06-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

So, just curious, do you believe that I have this math disability? If this is an LD, how is it that I was pretty fantastic at basic math as a kid? I have no clue. If this truly is a math impairment, I'm afraid this might hamper whatever academic ambitions I have.

As far as things I'm good at...well, one of the things that test informed me of was how easily mentally fatigued I can get. I almost feel like some organic process has occured in my brain. Meh, I guess it's true what they say about insecurities you fear what you secretly believe to be the truth.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have no idea whether you have a math LD or not. The fact is, math isn't one cognitive skill. There's arithmetic, logical reasoning, spatial reasoning, and the ability to draw analogies, plus a few other skills that I don't even know the words for. (Higher-dimensional spatial reasoning is my weakest area in math. I can handle those types of problems best by reducing them to symbols and abstracts.)

All false sexism aside, men's brains have an entire area set aside for 3-dimensional spatial reasoning. Women use that spot as a secondary language processing center, which is why women are more likely to learn to recover from a brain injury or stroke which affects speech. It's the only such difference neurologists have found.

It could be that you just have trouble with symbols. Writing them, holding them in your mind, etc. Or it could be just a "reversals" issue. My former neuropsychiatrist has an interesting theory about that:

About 80% of the population has a gene that guarantees you turn out right handed. In the other 20%, handedness is determined by random factors early in development. Some of this 20% never quite "gets" direction the way other folks do. Right, left, positive, negative, east, west, it kinda blurs together. My left handed brother used to be able to do mirror-writing as easily as the normal kind, though he lost that ability by about age 8. Seriously, he'd write entire sentences backwards, like Leonardo Da Vinci. And I mentioned earlier that I still have trouble with right and left. (even 27 years after nursery school, think of that!)

Make life easy for yourself. Get some tools to organize your numbers. Boxes, charts, anything that works. You know that Staples commercial, with the big red EASY button? They kinda have a point, although you don't have to buy their stuff.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

TryAgain,

Not an epic post this time. Short and sweet.

You are so obviously intelligent that it bothers me that you continue to place so much importance on IQ. Why? I know the detrimental effects that can happen. I know far too many high IQ bozos that have nothing to show for their lives. They brag how smart they are when in reality they knew nothing.

And I know from personal experience what happens when a very capable young man with ADHD is indoctrinated to believe he is worthless and can't possibly succeed at anything. Our core true beliefs govern our actions. That is a psychological truism.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

TryAgain,

Let me share with you some of the things I naturally gavitated toward from hatch date through teen years: I loved chemistry sets. I loved building model rockets, I built my own ham radio station, got licensed, and spent gadzillions of hours yapping away to other hams around the globe. I was a good morse code sender and receiver.

I loved playing baseball. To this day, give me a bat, let someone (not a pro) pitch the ball, and watch the ball go well over the left field fence. My problem was I did those things while my teachers were teaching something else.

I never saw good communication potential until a psychologist told me ham radio operators are by nature good communicators. The appeal is not exclusively in the electronics, most of the appeal is the ability to yap our hearts out to everyone, everywhere, for as long as we want. There was no Internet back then.

<It's up to you to figure out> what is it that you naturally gavitate towards.

Bob

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread