It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Adult taking ADHD Medication and have a ? PLEASE

I am on 30 mgs of Vyvanse for focus and conceration and poor concentration.

Allot of my problems are stress realted like everyone else. I am a 44 year old female with very low self esteem , due to alot. Job loss (Economy) mother whom is ill, and a handicapped brohter that will have to go into a setting before too long. All of this has taken a toll on me, trying to be a caregiver and family NOT helping out.........very much a shame.

I know I can not change things, but having a really, really hard time dealing with all of this........that is why I decided to go see a therapist............but won't be able to go much due to money issues........or til I get health insurance..........

I have been on many Antidepressant and don't handle them very well @ all. I was put on Prozac @ 10mgs too. I am going to see a therapist Wednesday and think the ADHD is helping out more the the AD.........but will not be about to afford Vyvanse for no health insurance. It is almost $80.00 now.............

My questions and sorry so long is ..............does addrell work the same as Vyvanse and is it cheaper? I really do feel this is keeping me out of bed and moving, and yes their is some depression...........I mean look at everything.

I am working on the depression part, just don't know how to ask the therapist about Addrell over Vyvanse for it is not generic.............

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get back to living again........

Hugs and thank you...........again...........

The following user gives a hug of support to himmylover:
Foolish2Karma (03-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Adult taking ADHD Medication and have a ? PLEASE

Himmy,

Generic Adderall is definitely cheaper than Vyvanse. It will have many of the same effects, as 75% of Adderall is the same medication as that found in Vyvanse, but because 25% is a slightly different ingredient it's known to cause more side effects than Vyvanse. As I understand it, it also doesn't have the gentle ups and downs that Vyvanse gives you. It tends to give great effect quickly, but when it's used up, it drops you pretty hard, this is why people often call it the Adderall crash.

Adderall is a powerful medication that has helped countless people, but unfortunately you won't know if you can tolerate it until you try it. If you do try, start low, 5-10mg, and work up slowly from there, this should help with the roller coaster effect.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Donna,

Thunor nailed it.

Adderall works well for me as long as I take it in (4) 10mg doses/total 40mg/day, buffered with Guanfacine (generic Intuniv).

These meds can do either tremendous good or horrendous harm. The doctor we choose, determines which fate is ours.

I have never minced words about how I feel about most doctors. I thought for a certainty, education would change how I felt. The more I learn, the more I despise most bozo JO idiots that shingle MD. Why? Research scientists have validated over and over therapies the bozos do not prescribe and, beyond all reasonable doubt, the ineffectiveness of what they do. We have no need for research scientists to validate what we experience by and large. We pay a lot of money that usually results in our getting worse. No one believes us. The findings of the big brains would help our cause if their published scientific studies were read by street level MD's.

Our only chance of survival is too learn as much as humanly possible about our mental disorders. Then we can direct the doctors that can write the prescriptions we need.

Somethings is so bassackwards about that. Don't you think?

AH's.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Yes, I will just be honest for it is the best policy! I Hope he, she can help.......lead me in the right direction..........lots to discuses... But have everything typed up, medications, what is going on in my life, and just all in all I have been treated and what is going on...............

Say a prayer tomorrow, I go........see the therapist.....

Old 03-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

Hoshi112 HB User

If you have low/no income and no insurance, you can get Vyvanse for free. When I had no insurance, I did.

your doc may have to sign some things, I don't remember. My pharmacy faxed it in for me and a card was mailed to me in about 3 weeks. I presented the card when filling my prescription and got it free.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-14-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

Hoshi112 HB User

Since they edited out my link to the prescription assistance program, google "shire patient assistance" and go to the link that is titled "US Patient Assistance Programs | Shire"

The following user gives a hug of support to Hoshi112:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

Foolish2Karma HB User

Hello, 1st of all allow me to say this is a silent thing for adults that are ADD/ADHD. I myself am ADD I have never been 'medicated" for my ADD until 1-4-2009 then I started Adderall.

I can't even begin to list the changes that started to take place. I was a different person who could ACTUALLY think rational thoughts. Adderall works great for me & I know A LOT of people its been a blessing for. Some advice though, Try to get the extended release tablets as the rapid release was hard to stomach. best of luck to you-karma

The Following User Says Thank You to Foolish2Karma For This Useful Post:
himmylover (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully my dr or therapist will switch me over to Addrell for it is cheaper then Vyvanse?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Hey, have you tried Ritalin (Methylphenidate)? Here in Canada I get a generic Methylphenidate and it is dirt cheap. It is quick release though, but dosed correctly ( dose/time intervals), I find it works great. Methylphenidate has been around for a long time, and in Canada there are alot of generics that are very cheap. There are also alot of long acting Methylphenidate medications on the market which are probably more expensive. Again here in Canada most of the long acting (Methylphenidate) meds are new so they are still under patent, so they are some what costly. I am sure that is to be true in the USA as well. Anyway we do have one that is quite reasonable.
The short acting ones work just fine if the amount of times that you take them are correct. Just like most of the other stimulants, you can crash pretty hard. I take mine every 4 hours not a moment later. 7:00, 11:00, 3:00
the last dose wearing off around 7:00 pm.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
(male)

Hardworking HB User

Generic adderall is cheaper. I really like the effects.

Please start with low dosage, and DO NOT start with high dosage. Even though I am a tall person, 5 mg does me well. I am able to concentrate and deal with my work professionally.

I hear somepeople are started with 10, 15, or 20. I mean the doctor knows best, but if you are not a 100% convinced that you have ADHD, then take it easy. Try low, and see how you feel. If nothing, then increase your dosage, up to what the doctor has allowed.

I am NOT a doctor, but from my experience, adderall does give a little boost in confidence, primarily because you can concentrate in your work. once you observe your capabilities, then your confidence increases. But I only take adderall when I have to do work. You do not take adderall casually around the house(e.g. laundry, or clean dishes).
Also, adderall may help you enjoy the music that you like. It gives a euphoria effect. Try music with headphones.

I wish you the best.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
(male)

kraftymonkey HB User

Euphoria is felt because of how the drug interacts with the serotonin and dopamine systems in your body. Action is and decision making are improved from the effects of neurotransmitters in the pre-frontal cortex. There's nothing wrong with taking adderall when doing routine day to day activities. I find my overall quality of life improves when I can maintain a simple routine like that.

Closed Thread