It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Strattera

Anyone have experience with Strattera...good or bad.

I quit trying stimulants. Any of the ones I have tried (Adderall, Vyvvanse, Focalin, Provigil) all cause me to sleep shortly after taking them as well as making me tired in general.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Strattera

Snoopy,

I have experience with Strattera. It damn near caused PTSD in me. The sexual side effects from Strattera cause men to seriously consider castration. Eunuch is better than bizarre. Actually, I want nothing to do with eunuch or bizzare. I won't the touch that Strattera stuff ever again.

Never guess what? I'm male and you are female. Additionally you experience unusual stimulant side effects. Hell, give Strattera a try. I doubt if it will kill you. Perhaps you may find Strattera beneficial.

My basis for you to consider Strattera is our difference in gender and in reaction to stimulants. Strattera just might be the med for you. No one will know for sure until you try it under your doctors orders.

I so wish ADHD wasn't so complex.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
Snoopy61 (03-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

I had severe nausea and somnolence, to the point that I would vomit at work and fall asleep driving. Little to nothing in the way of positive effects. I was not impressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
Snoopy61 (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Peachy, just peachy

Well, I did ask for good or BAD experiences

I am using Strattera, if figure I have nothing to lose except maybe my mind

I am on the starter pack, tomorrow I will be starting 60mg. It is too soon to know if Strattera is working but so far I haven't had any side effects...that I have noticed.

I have high hopes for Strattera, yet I will be suprised if it helps AND I don't have negative side effects.

Thanks to both of you ( addprogrammer & Thunor) for responding with your negative experiences.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update:

Yesterday (Sunday) I increased to 60mg. I know the effects would be building up but they hit hard yesterday (crying, suicidal thoughts, depression, extreme fatigue) Holy cow! I was ready to throw in the towel on Strattera.

My husband did some research and found some people had a better experience when they took Strattera at night. So, I will give it another try and start taking Strattera at night...maybe I will sleep through those horrible side effects and in the morning be fine --- keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

I seem to be doing okay this morning and I am more clear headed with a slight increase in energy.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Final update:

Done, finished with Straterra.

The emotional effects and the major tiredness became too much to handle. I asked my Psychiatrist if I was basiclly out of luck for treating ADD...he said yes and he's sorry. It's very deflating to hear there are no other options for treatment

Old 03-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

O.o

Have you tried Wellbutrin? Intuniv? Both of these are non-stimulant options that have had success with treating ADHD. Wellbutrin, I'll admit, may have similar effects to the stimulants, though that doesn't mean it's something one shouldn't try. Intuniv is very new, but Bob swears by it, it's something of a norepinephrine analogue that acts on receptors in those parts of the brain implicated in ADHD, it's apparently very specifically targeted, and was approved for ADHD after showing positive effects in the real world when used for something else.

If your psych it out of ideas after stimulants and Strattera, I'd consider looking for a new psych.

Snoopy61 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunor View Post
If your psych it out of ideas after stimulants and Strattera, I'd consider looking for a new psych.
He is a new Psychiatrist who came highly recommended. My previous Psychiatrist closed her practice

It's not him, it's me and how I react to medictions. I have been on numerous medications to try and treat ADD, anxiety/panic attacks and nerve pain. My list is quite impressive:

Wellbutrin
Trileptal
Cymbalta
Prozac
Lexapro
Pristiq
Lyrica
Buspar
Paxil
Provigil
Focalin
Adderal
Vyvanse
Strattera

I understand some of the medications listed are not for ADD but my point is: Each medication either caused more fatigue or I became depressed and/or suicidal. I had not been depressed when going on these medications. I even had birth control pills cause depression after only 3 months.

We did speak about Intuniv but my concern is the known side effect of it causing sleepyness, just like Strattera.

When medications start causing suicide ideation, mood swings and behavior changes it tends to scare the hell out of you, at least it does me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Snoopy61:
Thunor (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
When medications start causing suicide ideation, mood swings and behavior changes it tends to scare the hell out of you, at least it does me.
I had the same effect with Celexa, so I know where you're coming from. I'm sorry to hear about your reactions, hopefully something will come along that helps.

Snoopy61 (03-28-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
(female)

Smilechild8 HB User

Are you slowly upping your dose? Sometimes starting too high will give you side affects. WHen I took strattera I was nauseated, sleepy... I took it at night, sometimes the nausea would go through the night. But drink a full glass of water with it, maybe that was my problem. I don't know, but I stopped taking it. I'm on vyvansce now.
Good luck!

Closed Thread