It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
(male)

haroldg12 HB User
im adhd and taking medication

I've been diagnosed with ADHD and I'm 27 years old. The medication they are giving me is great. I take 10 mg, twice a day. I take my medication in the morning before I go to work at 7am and 45 min later I have this clear wide awake feeling. It's great! I can pay focus more and I'm not sleepy or feel that my brain is cloudy and not being able to think clearly. I have the total opposite reaction. It sounds crazy, but I feel an urge to learn(I'm not currently taking any classes). At work I put in more effort because of the great feeling I have. After about one hour or so, my medication seem to pass. I feel awake, but not as awake as I felt before. And at times I feel like my old self again, a little sleepy, cloudy headed, can't think real well, etc . I don't take the other medication until 2 or 3pm. It's supposed to last 8 hours, but I really don't feel that it does.

How can I maintain that explosive, awake, great feeling that I have, 45 min after I take my medication? Am I doomed to never feel that great, for the rest of my life, without taking my medication?

I hope not.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: im adhd and taking medication

Do you eat breakfast when you take your meds at 7 in the morning? If so what do you eat? What you eat can have a dramatic effect on how your meds affect you. If you don't eat, that will affect you too! My mother drinks a Mr. Pibb every single morning when she has her adderall. Then she complains that after an hour or so, her adderall isn't working right. I think the perked up feeling she has in the mornings is a result of mixing her caffeine with her adderall, but she is in complete denial! I just wonder what your habits are and if what you are eating has anything to do with how you're feeling?

What about exercise? Do you get at least 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week?

How much sleep are you getting at night? If I don't get enough sleep, then it doesn't take too long for that to catch up with me the next day, even after I take my adderall.

Diet, exercise and sleep are always the first things that come to mind when I read posts like yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
(male)

haroldg12 HB User

well, I read the instructions and it says that I shouldn't eat anything for at least 45 min, after I take my medication. I try to get some breakfast but don't have time because if I eat in the morning I have to wait until at least 8am, to take my pill. So I take my pill and try to get something to eat after 1 1/2 hours or so.

I exercise on a weekly basis(running)

I get at least 7 hours of sleep.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Harold,

What med are you taking?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Unfortunately, when I see people excited about the amazing effects they're getting from their stimulants, I think euphoria. How long have you been taking this med? Do you find the super energized feeling is less than it was when you started?

Generally when starting on ADHD meds, you will experience a period of euphoria where everything feels amazing. This will wane within a period of a couple of weeks, and while you will remain more clear and have the ability to concentrate better, you will feel normal. The best way to judge the efficacy of an ADHD med is concentration, self control, working memory; the bright, amazing, super awake feeling is unsustainable.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Hey, Harold what is the name of the medication you are taking? I am currently taking Ritalin (Methylphenidate). The version I take is short acting which last about 4 hrs. So I take my first dose at 7:00 am, second at 11:00 am , and last dose at 3:00 pm, which lasts until around 7:00 pm. It works quite well, and each dose doesn't start to wear off until close to the 4 hr mark. At first it was awful, I was taking it twice a day and when it would wear off I would crash hard. It was dosed twice a day, so I was instructed to take it at 7:00 am and 11:00am which was fine. But when it wore off at around 3:00 it would leave me dead tired, easily aggitated, and just way off.
So it was switched to 3 times a day, which seems to work pretty good.

The reason I ask what med your on is because I would like to know how long that inparticular drug is suppose to last? I think you said it was long acting, but I just want to make sure. If in fact it is short acting you may be able to increase the frequency. If it is long acting, maybe you can ask your doc to switch to short acting with frequent daily dosing, which you may respond better to. Most of the long acting drugs do not last as long as they say they do. But the short acting ones do not have these time release mechanisms so they are usually closer to what they say. I find anyway.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Hmmm.... I haven't ever heard the wait before eating rule, and I've been on adderall for more than 10 years. Interesting..... Obviously this medication affects everyone differently, so what works for me might not work for you..... but this is what I do when I'm taking adderall:

I take one 20 mg pill in the morning, around 7. I eat breakfast around the same time usually a cup of milk, and a bagel and sunbutter - which is like peanut butter, but made from sunflower seeds cause I'm allergic to peanut butter.... sad! Anyway, that's my first dose. I try to eat lunch with my kids around noon, usually just a meat and cheese sandwich with some fruit. Then I try to take my second dose around 1:30-2pm. I was always told it can last anywhere from 6-8 hours, so I try to make sure to get that second dose within the 7 hour window. That's what keeps it most effective for me, and I don't hit that wall of sleepiness that generally hits most people (with or without ADD) between 2-3pm.

So that's what works for me. You might try eating with your first morning dose, and then try taking that second dose a little earlier and see if it makes a difference.

OR.... maybe Thunor is right and it's euphoria. That would lead me to believe that perhaps you're taking a bit too much? It might be worth trying 5mgs less at a time, and see if it just helps you concentrate and get things done instead of feeling euphoric. I'm sure it's nice to feel euphoric throughout the day, but going for that feeling is what creates addicts! What you really want to feel is.... well, nothing, really. You just want to be able to concentrate and focus on what you are doing and not really feel much different (except for that happy feeling that comes naturally from knowing you got things done today!).

Did that make sense at all???

Last edited by marisuela; 03-21-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Closed Thread