It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

ruffaloc HB User
newly diagnosed, medication doesn't work

Hi, everyone. I am new to this discusion board, and, in fact, newly diagnosed with add, type inattentive. My psychiatrist prescribed adderall xr 20mg, and I'm taking a generic version, amphetamine salt. I have noticed no change in, well, anything.

My father and brother both have ADHD, and in the past 6-8 months I've figured I had it, too. In the past, I was anti-medication, a disbeliever in the stronghold depression can have, and therefore, I've been reluctant to acknowledge my weaknesses as anything but lazy incompetence.

A friend of mine thought he would try to help me, and introduced me to Dexedrine. I was taking 25mg approximately 5 times per week for approximately two months. It worked fantastic, and I have never had so much control of my life. Two weeks ago, before I gained the courage to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist, a different friend, who is medicated for ADHD, allowed me to try some of her generic adderall, Vyvanese 30mg. I wasn't particularly keen on it, as it did not measure to Dexedrine's effectiveness, but it was better than taking nothing at all. I did feel I had improved focus, and my mind stopped racing, however I felt a little zombie-like, and that halted my productivity.

How do I approach my psychiatrist about this, when I go back in one month? I have read that Dexedrine is not prescribed so often anymore, due to its addictive nature. I would like to try brand Adderall, but I'm not currently insured, and for 30 20mg brands around here, it costs between $240-280.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Best,
Christin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: newly diagnosed, medication doesn't work

Dexedrine and Vyvanse are both 100% dextroamphetamine, Adderall is 75% dextroamphetamine. As such, it's likely all will be helpful if Dexedrine is working for you, you may just have to tweak the dosage.

That said, generics can be odd at times, and don't produce the desired effects, though the medical establishment won't agree.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

You might try regular adderall (brand or generic) and not the XR kind. Extended release tablets are great in theory, but they don't work the same for everyone. I can't take them at all. They seem to break up too fast in my system or something weird like that.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

I had a similiar problem with adderall, as in it didn't seem to help me focus more at all. I got this strange ache-y feeling in my head that wasn't unpleasant, and I felt "mellow." However, when the dosage was increased I had tremendous anxiety. Maybe I just have very atypical brain chemistry, I dunno.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Christin,

You have the answer. How to ask the question is your problem.

You: Dr. Shrinkenstein, I do much better on Dexedrine than on Adderall. Shrinkenstein: How do you know? You: Well, doctor Shrinkenstein, a little birdy whispered in my ear, "dex."

Dr. Shrinkenstein sends you straight to rehab.

Your best bet may be to simply tell the truth. If the guy won't prescribe dexedrine, fire the bum and find a pdoc with practical intelligence and psychiatric qualifications. Said dually qualified pdocs exist. I have one.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
shadowfakx (04-11-2011)
Closed Thread