It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

busyMomma HB User
Question adderall and being tired.

After years of suspecting I had ADD I finally found out I did. I went to my DR discussed it with her and she put me on adderall 10mg 2 times per day. The adderall made me soooooooo tired. (yeah, I know) So I took it upon myself to adjust the dosage and see what made a difference and what didn't. I started with less, still tired as can be, then took 15 mg in am and was not tired, took 10 in the pm and became tired again. Today I took 15mg both times and I have not been as tired. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do if so? Also, I notice a difference and still feel my dose may be a little to low, as my concentration has improved drastically, just not completely. Should it improve completely? My DR is supposed to be sending a referral to a physc dr, but I have not heard from them yet and I am worried my prescription will run out before then. I am pretty sure my dr would be ok with that and give me another one, however; take as prescribed does mean that. Also, I do take prozac 40mg at night for anger and ocd issues, could that be associated with add also? I wanted to stop taking the prozac, but I am not sure if that is a good idea or not?? My family dr said not to stop taking it yet. Any thoughts? Advice? etc?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: adderall and being tired.

1) Fair warning, Adderall is a controlled substance and increasing your dose without permission is actually illegal. It might also lead to your doctor refusing to prescribe it anymore. Don't do it.

2) The right dose varies a lot from person to person. If you are experiencing pounding heart or trouble sleeping, you are taking too much.

3) Don't stop the Prozac suddenly, that can cause withdrawl symptoms. I would wait and let the psychiatrist help you figure out the best medication mix, if possible.

4) The medication is a TREATMENT for ADHD, not a cure. You also need non-drug treatment, to help your brain learn concentration and organization. What are the worst ADHD related problems you are having right now? Work? Home? Figure it out specifically, and then get help to address them.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
busyMomma (03-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

busyMomma,

Incorrect prescribed medication or incorrectly dosed medication is in my experience harder on us than no medication at all.

Try calling your PCP and explain how you react to the 10mg AM + 10mg PM Adderall doses. Ask your PCP to up your dose to 20mg AM + 20mg PM. She should be able to accommodate you without having a meltdown conniption. Don't say a word about your little experiments or she will connipe a duesie of a fit.

Regardless of PCP decision, proceed per Jane's prescribed path without deviation or you'll get yourself in big trouble. Self administration of potentially highly addictive substances can lead to far more trouble than a doctor hissy fitting.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
busyMomma (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

busyMomma HB User
Wink Re: adderall and being tired.

Wow, Thank you both so much. I had no idea that it was such a big deal to try a different dose. Won't do that again, will just deal with the 10 mg twice a day until meeting with a dr again.

No pounding heart, no trouble sleeping, no anxiety, just felt very tired. My husband jokes that it is because my brain hasn't relaxed in years.

As far as the Pozac, I know that I would have to slowly cut back and not just stop. I just wonder if the anger issues havemore to do with the ADD.

My biggest issue???? Let's see, I can't have a conversation without trying to talk over the person I am talking to, I jump around all day every day doing little bits of something that amount to nothing, I turn around and forget what I was just thinking, I walk around looking for stuff that is in my hands, I go to the store for something speciffic and then I get home with 40 things and forgot the one thing I went for. I over organize everything; each file has a sub-file in hopes that I will remember where it is, or find it easier. (never happens) I could go on and on. My point is that I am well aware that my whole life needs a "make-over" and that only I can make that happen. For me the adderall and prozac are more like aids that help that to happen for me. I have NEVER watched a movie and not drifted off into some fantasy land before now, I went to the store for the first time in years and remembered EVERY thing I went for. Believe me, I have been thinking about changes for years, think about it, forget it, thinking about fifty other things before I know it. Those medicines give me the extra help to focus on what I need to do, what I've wanted to do and what I am doing.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

If adderall is making you tired, is it possible you're not on the right medication for your ADD? OR, could there be an interaction between your other meds and adderall (I recall adderall having quite the list of things - meds and foods - it interacts with)? You could try calling your pharmacist and letting them know all the meds you are on and ask them if there are any interactions you should know about.

OCD and anger issues could definitely be related to ADD. I would advise talking to your doctor about weaning off the Prozac, to see if the adderall would take care of all of your symptoms. It might take getting off the Prozac before you find the right dose of adderall, too.

There is a lot of experimenting that happens when treating ADD symptoms. Experimenting under the direction and approval of your doctor is the best way to go. Talk to your doctor about everything you want to do before you do it.

If 10 mgs isn't working for you, call your doctor and find out how he would feel about you increasing your dose without having to wait until your next appointment. Many docs are easy to work with and understand the need to tweak the dose one way or another as long as you are open and honest with them.

Last, as Jane said, it's not just about the medication. Diet changes, exercise, and regular sleep are also a big part of keeping ADD symptoms at bay. Some people find it helps to talk to a therapist or a counselor who specializes in ADD. Others find help in group settings. I never did any formal therapy or counseling or group stuff, but looking back, I did have my own form of therapy. I went out rollerblading or swimming almost every single night (I was single and was in college, had a great day job, studied at school, and had almost all my nights free). I went with friends or by myself. It was a great time to just relax and unwind from each day. Wow. Suddenly I find myself in mourning.... sigh.... I thought I was stressed back then.... working, and in school. I had no idea what FOUR kids and a husband who thinks he's a kid can do to my stress levels!!!! Oh sorry, that's a whole other post!

Anyway, the point is, make the necessary diet changes, get in some exercise, and make sure you get enough sleep. You might find formal therapy helpful, or you might do well just finding a good outlet for your stress. Hope this helps.... I'm going to go and try to figure out how to fit rollerblading back into my life and start pricing pools!

Last edited by marisuela; 03-28-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
(female)

busyMomma HB User

Marisuela
Thank you for your advice. I am very good about exercise, I eat great, I am terrible about sleep though. I have been trying a lot harder to go to bed earlier and earlier.

I asked my GP to wean me off of the prozac, however; she felt more comfortable leaving that decision to a psych dr. I am in the process of being referred to one, yet I think I will be out of my adderall prior to then. My GP is WONDERFUL!! and she is very understanding so I will go in and talk to her about it.

I used the drug checker page?? online to see if there were any interactions. My pharmacist doesn't speak english well at all, so when I tried to talk to him about it he didn't really know what I was saying. I did talk to my GP office and their innitial response was to take it at night. I didn't think that was a good idea because from what I read it would have worn off by time I awoke. I am feeling a little less tired each day. Maybe it will go away in time.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

Kay2009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyMomma View Post
Wow, Thank you both so much. I had no idea that it was such a big deal to try a different dose. Won't do that again, will just deal with the 10 mg twice a day until meeting with a dr again.

No pounding heart, no trouble sleeping, no anxiety, just felt very tired. My husband jokes that it is because my brain hasn't relaxed in years.

As far as the Pozac, I know that I would have to slowly cut back and not just stop. I just wonder if the anger issues havemore to do with the ADD.

My biggest issue???? Let's see, I can't have a conversation without trying to talk over the person I am talking to, I jump around all day every day doing little bits of something that amount to nothing, I turn around and forget what I was just thinking, I walk around looking for stuff that is in my hands, I go to the store for something speciffic and then I get home with 40 things and forgot the one thing I went for. I over organize everything; each file has a sub-file in hopes that I will remember where it is, or find it easier. (never happens) I could go on and on. My point is that I am well aware that my whole life needs a "make-over" and that only I can make that happen. For me the adderall and prozac are more like aids that help that to happen for me. I have NEVER watched a movie and not drifted off into some fantasy land before now, I went to the store for the first time in years and remembered EVERY thing I went for. Believe me, I have been thinking about changes for years, think about it, forget it, thinking about fifty other things before I know it. Those medicines give me the extra help to focus on what I need to do, what I've wanted to do and what I am doing.
Hi. I read your description of yourself and you describe ME to a tee! I just want to WARN everyone about Adderall BEFORE you end up as I have. I started out with Ritalin at age 42. It was a miracle drug. I went back to school and earned certificates and Diplomas, I was motivated, energetic and full of life. I am now 55 and I have built up such a TOLERANCE to ADHD medications, that I am worse off than ever!! I take Adderall 90mg daily and it hardly does a thing. I can't bring my tolerance down because if I skip one single day, I get so depressed and lethargic that I stay in bed and wish I had never been born. I feel addicted and stuck. Please, anyone reading this, make sure to take regular "Holidays" and time off from stimulants from the very beginning. If you take high doses too early on and never take days off, you will eventually be in my situation where stimulants barely keep your head above water, and your days of high energy and relief from ADHD symptons will disappear. I don't know what to do. I just stay in bed month after month and my body has gotten too weak to exercise or clean house., and feel my Life is finished. If I reduce my dosage or stop, unbearreable Depression starts. I'm afraid to tell my Doc for fear he will take the Adderral away. (which would be very stupid on his part) If anyone has an answer, please speak up. I have alot of knowlege about stimulants now, but it seems to be too late. I guess this is what they call Addiction...and it was never explained to me that this could happen. I just don't think there's a way out of this one. So everybody...take it slow so you can prevent this awful situation OF....TOLERANCE. Wish you good fortune. Kaywood

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Kay, thanks for this info because I am 58 and have taken meds my whole life and you are so right about ADD meds. They are a God Send for me but I worry so about the tolerance thing and know exactly how you feel. Wishing you the best of luck!

Closed Thread