It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

adhdadd HB User
nervous about ritalin and drug testing

This is my first post. First i want to say hello to all. I have been reading the health boards and the site is very imformative. thank you.

here is my story , i hope this helps.

I have been a law enforcement officer for the past 10 years. ever since i been on the job, i have had many add issues, like interupting people while they talk, losing some focus when someone talks to me, however when it comes to doing police work, i am very good what i do, i just cant take promotional tests beecasue i cannot study or remember what i studied. i easily get bored and my mind wanders when it comes to studying. I often feel lethargic and my wife of 15 years tells me that i drift off when she talks to me or that i dont listen to her. my kids sometimes talk to me and i sometimes do not listen or dont want to hear it. I want the family life to approve and i certainly want to move up the ranks in my job. i recently saw my doctor and he wants to put me on 10mg of ritalin. my job radomly drug tests me, hair and urine and i am afraid my job will find out and fire me. I really want to move up the ranks but dont know if i could. I would like to know anyone that has any information on ritalin, most people say no it cannot be detected and some say it can. I recently contacted the lab that does the urine and hair anaylses and they told me that ritalin does not show up on the test. i called twice and both times they told me ritalin does not show up. I dont know if they are telling me the truth or brushing me off the phone, plus i dont trust my job not to fire me. i called a third time and they asked me what agency i worked for, i told them and then they told me they werent allowed to tell me after they told me previously.

Is ritalin an amphetamine? does anyone have any knowledge of this type of situation drug testing? if my job finds out that i am add/adhd can they fire me? restrict me?

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: nervous about ritalin and drug testing

You must have a manual of regulations about your job. Does it say anything about mental health or psychiatric drugs? Taking a controlled substance ILLEGALLY is an automatic disqualification for a police officer, but legal use is different.

If there is no explicit policy against its use while on duty, they cannot just fire you for using Ritalin legally. They may, however, require you to report any medications you take, at which point you'd be on the hook for failing to report!

Now, depending on the attitudes of your superiors, disclosing ADHD may harm your career. Or, if your supervisor is more educated about mental health matters, and the Ritalin improves your performance, it might be okay. This is true in many fields, not just law enforcement, although it's particularly difficult in military and law enforcement careers.

Definitely, find some written policies. I looked around online but couldn't find them for you.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Quote:
Is ritalin an amphetamine? does anyone have any knowledge of this type of situation drug testing? if my job finds out that i am add/adhd can they fire me? restrict me?
As far as I know, yep, ritalin is considered a psychostimulant drug and can be detected during a drug test (if that is one of the drugs that they are testing for).
As long as a doctor has prescribed this medicine for you, it should not be an issue. Not sure; however, firing you for having a managable medical condition would probably be considered as unfair and discriminatory.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
(male)

adhdadd HB User

Thanks jane and amy. i cant find any information through my job about add/adhd or mental health issues. i called several areas in my job about mental stimulants and not one person could give me a definate or straight answer. I am at total loss. Do i just tell them and risk my career and potentailly get fired, do i risk my family financially. this is really bothering me.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
i recently saw my doctor and he wants to put me on 10mg of ritalin
10 mg/day of ritalin is just barely considered a therapeutic dosage for an adult. You say that he "wants" to put you on it, meaning that he has not yet given you a prescription for it? Has he discussed the use of antidepressants in lieu of this "problematic" (for you) drug?
Just wondering if you may be having some sort of job burn out due to the nature of your stressfull and dangerous job?

I personally would not tell anyone anything just yet until you have a definitive answer to your questions.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
(male)

adhdadd HB User

i recently got a prescription and filled it. it is sitting in my cabinet, waiting to be used. i have not used it yet. are there any antidepressants that can help with adhd and not be detected via drug testing?

i was told rialin was not an amphetamine but a methylpheniate.

is it against the law to be fired for adhd ?

i rank number #1 in my command in many areas and is considered one of the better officers in my pct. this is really silly that i have to go through this.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That's right, ritalin is a stimulant, but not an amphetamine.

You can't be fired for having a disability or medical condition UNLESS it interferes with your ability to do your job, and even then the employer is supposed to try to accommodate you. And, for a good worker, most reasonable employers will be willing to work with you.

In practice, well, I don't really know. I would talk to your union representative, starting with general questions to feel out him or her.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
(male)

adhdadd HB User

ok, i will try that, i may just give up aand stay at my rank, it may be too risky. i dont understand the hoopla with this, isnt legal prescription covered. you are taking something legally but yet you can get fired? its not understandable to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
(male)

adhdadd HB User

I have received several emails from the lab who administers the test and they emailed me that ritalin/concerta does not show up on a hair and urine test.

this came from a rep from the lab.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good. I would say, go for it. In certain jobs, you are required to notify your employer if you are on certain medications. But you say you don't know about any such requirement at your job.

IF it ever comes up in a drug test, show your legal prescription.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
(male)

adhdadd HB User

i would like to thank jane /amy and everone else who has helped. thanks alot. i will keep everyone inform of my good or bad decision.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
(male)

etsnyder HB User

I have been on Depicote for bipolar, Lexipro for depression and Ritalin's generic Methalin for ADHD. Ritalin is many times more expensive than methalin. 10mg of Methalin will put me into a nap. Ready to go when I wake up. My Daily dosage is 30mg. I get alot done until bed time than out like a lite. I don't want any changes. et

Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
(male)

adhdadd HB User

Tomorrow 5/1/11 i will be taking the prescription ritalin for the firsst time. I am very nervous that i will fail a drug test. Great job, great, benefits but worse of all it will be disasterous if i lose my job. My family relies on me, if i fail the drug test. the lab told me on several occasions it wont be detected, but what if it will?

i am crossing my fingers, wish me lluck.

i hope i dont get fired for taking something that is LEGAL.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

How often do they normally perform random drug-testing?
In any event, Good Luck! Hope this drug works for you, etc., etc.,!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdadd View Post
i hope i dont get fired for taking something that is LEGAL.
Hi adhdadd, don't you have an HR representative that you can ask? They must keep your medical information private so I wouldn't hesitate to contact your HR department. Good luck!

Closed Thread