It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

lovely0521 HB User
Adderall not working!

I'm 21-years-old and I'm almost certain that I have ADD. I've been reading about the symptoms and I have all of them. I went to the doctor about 5 years ago and asked him what we could do to get me tested for it....and he wanted to give all of my teachers an evaluation form to fill out about me. I was embarassed so I decided that I'll just cope with it. I'm in college now and this is seriously effecting my life. My grades are poor, I'm so easily destracted, I can't finish tasks and every simple chore seems like such a huge obstacle to me.

My brother-in-law doesn't even have ADD (lied to his Dr. ahhhh) yet he has a prescription for Adderall. I'm making an appointment with a Dr. on Tuesday to talk about my ADD. I've never done this before...but I tried one of my brother in laws Adderal pills yesterday. I know you shouldn't take something you aren't prescribed, but I'm sure I have ADD. It was only 20mg. I cut it in half and took the first half. I felt nothing....so an hour later I took the second half. I still didn't feel anything all day! We were having a little family get together...10 adults and 3 kids, and I wasa little stressed. I was just the same ol me though. I should have tried to read or do homework or something. I didn't seem to focus more or anything. I still ate how I normally do and ny the end of the day I was exhaused and slept good. My bro in law told me that if I don't feel anything, I most likely really do have ADD...because if I didn't have it I'd be feeling something. Is this true?

Last edited by lovely0521; 05-02-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Adderall not working!

Honestly, the "right" dose doesn't feel like much. When I'm on Adderall and it works, I just feel like myself, having a particularly productive day.

Don't take unprescribed medicines again. But if you are prescribed stimulants, see if you can get more done when you take them.

It could be 20 mg is not enough for you. The "right" dose varies enormously from person to person. Here's a question: Do you drink coffee? How much?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

football mom 2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely0521 View Post
I'm 21-years-old and I'm almost certain that I have ADD. I've been reading about the symptoms and I have all of them. I went to the doctor about 5 years ago and asked him what we could do to get me tested for it....and he wanted to give all of my teachers an evaluation form to fill out about me. I was embarassed so I decided that I'll just cope with it. I'm in college now and this is seriously effecting my life. My grades are poor, I'm so easily destracted, I can't finish tasks and every simple chore seems like such a huge obstacle to me.

My brother-in-law doesn't even have ADD (lied to his Dr. ahhhh) yet he has a prescription for Adderall. I'm making an appointment with a Dr. on Tuesday to talk about my ADD. I've never done this before...but I tried one of my brother in laws Adderal pills yesterday. I know you shouldn't take something you aren't prescribed, but I'm sure I have ADD. It was only 20mg. I cut it in half and took the first half. I felt nothing....so an hour later I took the second half. I still didn't feel anything all day! We were having a little family get together...10 adults and 3 kids, and I wasa little stressed. I was just the same ol me though. I should have tried to read or do homework or something. I didn't seem to focus more or anything. I still ate how I normally do and ny the end of the day I was exhaused and slept good. My bro in law told me that if I don't feel anything, I most likely really do have ADD...because if I didn't have it I'd be feeling something. Is this true?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

football mom 2 HB User

Hello; My son has ADHD and is on adderall. First you need to go to a Dr. preferably a neuroloigist. They specialize in this sort of thing. They will give you an rx for adderall and they usually start you out on 10mg. If it is not working for you then it may not be strong enough. They will then increase it to 20 mg, etc. until the dose is right for you. Everyone is different. You will know when it is working because you will be able to think and concentrate. When my son started on Adderall he came home so happy because for the first time in his life he was able to take notes. And boy did he take notes. He felt smart for the first time in his life. He was 16 when he was diagnosed. I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
(male)

BenHrehorick HB User

I am actually 17, and taking Adderall IE capsules, and to be perfectly honest, depending on your body size, weight, metabolism, ect. 20 Miligrams is almost nothing if you are on the larger end. I started on 30, and it had very little effect after a week of normal consumption (But if its Adderall instant release, prolonged consumption does not really make a difference anyways), so it was even doubled to 60 MGs, which works great. So its more than likely that you really just did not take enough to have a profound effect.

Adderalls effect really should only rely on how well your body can metabolize or use it, and people without ADHD can easily take it without effect as well. IF you had any significant amount of Citric Acid, Vitamin C, ect. Even so much as a glass of orange juice shortly after consumption, it would also greatly dampen the effect of the Adderall.

The big part of what you said is that you still eat as you normally do. Lack of appetite is one of the most common symptoms with stimulant drugs such as Adderall, although I guess it is possible for you to have a normal appetite. But to me though, I really just think you did not take enough for it to actually do anything major to your body. Just make sure you have ADHD first though, get the drugs yourself if that is what the doctor has ordered, and the fact that the pills did not work is in no way a sign that you have it. There are just so many other contributing factors at work to determine how it will effect you.

I hope this is what you were asking...? If not... I did not take my adderall today, so I blame it on the ADHD. ;P

Closed Thread