It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Inactive

Susi HB User
Post Strattera disappointment for 7-year old

This is week three on Strattera for my 7-year old son. We started with 25 mg for 4 days and then increased to 40 mg (he weighs 65 pounds). There isn't any change at all. I had my hopes up and was so glad to get him off stimulants. Stimulants didn't work well for him either. Our doctor has told us, that it takes 2 - 3 weeks to kick in, but when I am comparing all the other posts on message boards about Strattera, most of them report noticing a fast change. Son's teacher complains about him not focusing, not following through, not completing work, can't sit still etc. My son was on Ritalin, Metadate CD and Focalin. We have not tried Concerta yet. Our next appointment is 2-17. Is anybody else out there whose child also did not respond to Strattera?
I am reading a lot about tiredness on Strattera. It was a litte bit like that for my son as well. He just was ready to go to bed about one hour earlier than usual. We were told that there may be upset stomach problems for a week or so. I started my son on a weekend and he had no problems. Unfortunately his appetite on Strattera is very reduced.

[This message has been edited by Susi (edited 03-10-2003).]

Old 02-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Inactive

addvocate HB User
Susi, Hang in there. It seems as if each child is different. The jury is not in on Straterra here yet (day 14). Been there with the disappointment. You still have options, and hopefully the support of your doctor. I am mentally sending a hug for you, I am sure you need it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive

mybubble8 HB User
My son is also 7 and we haven't had good results. This weekend was 2 weeks on Strattera. So far, we haven't really seen any good results. We are still giving (1) 18mg Concerta along with the Strattera, for he can't hold it together without it. (FYI - he used to take (1) 18mg Concerta and (1) 5mg Ritalin 8AM and (1) 18mg Concerta at 1PM (this worked great, no hyperness in the evening and it would wear off at bedtime)) At the 1 week mark, the Concerta and Strattera combination gave me a child I would only dream about. This effectiveness has seemed to wear off when we hit the 2 week mark. We tried again this weekend not giving the Concerta and it was terrible. He acted just as if he had no meds at all. Today we are back giving the Concerta with the Strattera. This weekend coming up will be week 3 and we won't be giving the Concerta again. If this weekend coming up is no better than I think we have to give up and go back to his Concerta regimin, unless the p-doc thinks the Strattera dosing is wrong. (I doubt it though, for he is 54lbs on 25mg)At least I can say we at least tried. The Concerta for him works great!!!

Old 02-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #4

phuxley1 HB User
My psychiatrist started me on Straterra just yesterday after my anxiety and agitation problems on Adderrall. One thing she told me is that Straterra is chemically similar to WELLBUTRIN. She said that based on how Wellbutrin acts in the brain, researchers have thought that it OUGHT to help ADD, but despite numerous studies they have found no effect.

I'm seeing some increase in concentration already though she told me it would take 3 or 4 days. It may be Placebo effect but I'll take it whatever it is. I lost my last job because of ADD problems and am currently on probation with my new employer for the same reasons. I was not compliant on Adderral bec. it made me feel like a machine but agitated and anxious. I'm putting a lot of hope into this drug.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:46 AM   #5
Inactive

lump HB User
Wink

my 8 year old had a terrible time on the concerta. He took 10mg for three days then bumped up to 20 mg(he is a skinny little guy only 49lbs) It was as if he were on no meds at all maybe even worse! We went back to his Metadate while decreasing his Straterra back to 10mg to get him off it. That was when I realized that the combination might actually be a good one. With Metatde alone his symptoms were back by 4 or 5 in the evening. While on both 10mg Straterra and the metadate he was in control into the evening. It was a surprise to me so I wondered if anyone else found this out? By the way do your ADHD children play the "opposite game" with you? example: you say "Ilove you" and they will inevitably say "I don't love you" seemingly to push your buttons? Mine does stuff like this allllllll the time! That and a preoccupation with morbid stuff like heads hitting the floor, buildings blowing up and , oh yeah, he makes things like stuffed animals and pillows attack him! I know, it is kinda funny but is it normal little boy stuff or ADHD?

Old 02-15-2003, 04:48 AM   #6
Inactive

lump HB User
ooops, sorry my first sentence was supposed to say "my 8 year old had a terrible time on Straterra" not concerta.

Old 02-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
(female)

marilyn60 HB User
Lightbulb

You can always look up a drug's side-effects and proper doseage from the drug maker's perspective at this website- [url="http://www.rxlist.com"]www.rxlist.com[/url]

You can get all the information, then make your own choices. Doctors are just people, and are not always correct.

There are other ways to help a child than drugging him, and the drugs ruin the liver. I sincerely hope that you will not allow a teacher's peeve to control you. Kids often are be pushed into school before they are emotionally ready, just because of their age, and ordinarily space out at what they cannot handle. That is a normal response, not a defect in the child.

Old 02-18-2003, 06:17 AM   #8
Inactive

Susi HB User
Today we had a doctor's appointment and I told him the disappointing news about Strattera seemingly not to work for my son (it's day 25 - not counting the initial start-up 4 days). The doctor told me to give it a few more weeks, since it is possible to show its effectiveness after a month.

Old 03-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
Inactive

Susi HB User
After 7 weeks on target dose of Strattera, I have finally given up, since we did not see any results on Strattera. I have started my son on 10 mg Adderall XR since five days now (without letting teacher know) and after 7 weeks of complaints from the teacher, I am finally getting every day good reports, since the day we started Adderall. My son has lost 10 pounds on Strattera and I couldn't bear to see the bones being so visible and pants sliding down, which used to fit before. He also had terrible constipation on Strattera with no bowel movement for 5 days. He has gained four pounds since three days. I couldn't keep the food coming fast enough, since we stopped Strattera. Strattera did not show any benefits on focusing at school and I can see that in his report card.

Old 03-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #10

Multitasker HB User
My daughter also lost weight on Strattera. She had headaches, felt very sleepy, definately not hyper, but resentful. We are afraid of stimulants and have backed out of kindergarten this year hoping a year of maturity will help her to cope. My husband is keeping her active with hiking and starting our garden. She is alot happier now.

Old 03-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #11

CMMG HB User
WE JUST STARTED OUR 8 YEAR OLD SON ON STRATTERA ON FEB.14 THE START OF WINTER BREAK. THE JURY IS STILL OUT. HE HAS ADHD AS WELL AS TOURETTES DISORDER. THOUGHT THE STRATTERA WOULD BE BETTER FOR HIM INSTEAD OF CONCERTA DUE TO HIS TICS. (STIMULANTS MAKE THEM WORSE). HE ALSO TAKES A VERY LOW DOSE OF CLONIDINE AND
RISPERDAL IN THE AM. HIS STRATTERA DOSE WAS MOVED TO
BEDTIME DUE TO SLEEPINESS IN SCHOOL WHEN TAKEN IN AM.
EARLY AM IS MUCH EASIER NOW THAN WITH CONCERTA, BUT
NOW BY EARLY AFTERNOON THE ADHD SYMPTOMS RETURN...NO
IMPULSE CONTROL, NONSTOP TALKING TIL BED! ANY SUGGES?

Old 05-23-2003, 01:37 PM   #12

Urbandale39 HB User
test

Old 05-23-2003, 01:50 PM   #13

Urbandale39 HB User
Finally I can get through on this damn thing. Why does everything take so long? Frustration, ADD, I wrote the book on it. I have been on Strattera for 4 wks. 38 yrs old. I think it is working, but I have been getting orthostatic hypertension, or Dizziness when I stand too quick. Does anybody else have this problem? I also get drowsy. But as with many, the first week was hell. I felt like I was on a severe stimulant. Did not sleep for about 3 days. Then I started getting drowsy all the time. Finally that has evened out. This ADD problemm is so subtle, for ME, that I think it could take 3 or 4 months to tell if it is really helping. I mean if I have a complex job, and lose it, and go back to one of my no-brainer jobs, then how can I tell if it is working? Anyway, I wonder if this is going to work in the long term. I have tried rits and adderall, they did help concentration, but I was so damned hyper and nervous, and then when it wore off at end of day, I was still nervous, but sort of depressed and jittery, and VERY moody. I would have to drink about 3 beers just to get to sleep, and I'm not supposed to drink on Prozac, which I also take. Yes I am screwed up. But we have to keep trying and stay patient if this problem is going to be dealt with. More later.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:08 PM   #14

Urbandale39 HB User
To Phuxley. Don't feel bad about losing jobs. I have lost more to this problem than anyone can know. I have also lost several by my own fault, so I try not to use ADD as an excuse. I have tried Wellbutrin. Made extremely agitated for the first 3 wks. Then it kicked in, but I didn't really notice a difference in the ADD. I mean, I still lost a good paying job at the post office. Of course it was boring as hell, so that may have been unavoidable. Strattera seems to work better, but I may try the Wellbutrin again, because it is a lot cheaper. I have a medical friend who can get it for free. Strattera costs $45 a month. Not cheap for me. Now I'm jumping around but I have also tried Ritalin and Adderall. Same problem as you. Nervousness, and agitation. My personality was so blunted or machine-like that I don't think I could crack a smile or laugh the whole time I was on it. It was okay, if I was vigilant with the amount of food in my stomach, to sort of absorbe the overload. But like my doctor said, you can't carry around a bowl of soup and dip it all day just maintain the optimum ratio of food to drug. Now I am an LPN. I just started, scared ****less. But at least I'm starting on the graveyard shift so it is not as much thrown at you at once. More later.

------------------

Closed Thread