It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

velvetchew HB User
Unhappy Could I possibly have ADD/ADHD?

Hi all, I have a problem concentrating lately. When I was younger I could put my mind on a task and get it done instantly no problem with no side tracks, but lately I've had problems concentration. For instance, at soccer practice this morning I couldn't connect with the ball worth my life. Now if I could concentrate I could be extremely good and make almost every shot. Another example of this break in concentration is yesterday. I was going to call someone and I went to turn off my computer and completely forgot about calling that person. Could I possibly have ADD/ADHD? Also, could you give me any advice on learning how to keep my concentration all the time and not just some of the time?

Thank you in advance if I do not get the chance to thank you in a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Could I possibly have ADD/ADHD?

ADHD normally begins in early childhood. Attention problems that show up for the first time in an adult usually have another cause. It could be as simple as lack of sleep or stress, or there could be something else going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

SCATTERED HB User

Sorry about your concentration -- Your symptoms would have to be consistent beginning from childhood and the rest of your life . . . like me! No AD/HD for you.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
(female)

pookiesays HB User

From my experience, when I thought I had ADD for the first time as I read through the symptoms and forums online I felt my heart drop and thought, "This explains everything Ive been going through my whole life."
An example of ADD behavior(in my opinion) wouldn't be not being able to connect with the ball at soccer....it would be forgetting to show up to soccer or avoiding soccer because you're afraid you wont be able to perform as good as you should. You're probably just under stress. I would wait to see if it passes. I dont believe ADD is something that develops randomly in adulthood. Hope this helps

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I felt the same way. "Oh, THAT's what's going on!"

Every day at school, I struggled to pay attention. Either I fought to hear what the teacher said, or I surrendered to the demons of wandering minds and learned nothing.

But it had always been that way for me, I'd always had to try really hard. Up until I was diagnosed at 19, I thought I was just lazy. Sure, I had to work really hard to concentrate. But I thought it was just me, and everyone else worked that hard <i>all the time</i>. It was such a relief when I learned otherwise!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

I cant remember how my grades were in say 1st, 2nd grade to know if I had trouble focusing at that age. I do recall that it began showing up in high school - at least thats where I remember it. My grades began dropping. I have had consistent symptoms from then all the way thru college and thru 15 years of work. I am still not officially diagnosed but it is looking more likely I think.

Closed Thread