It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

Tara4us HB User
New.............would like some advice pls

Hi, I am new here and was hoping to get some advice.
I have a issue with my son at school and would like some advice as I need to see his teacher Mon morning. Mhy son is 9.5 yrs old and diag adhd. He also displays some aspergers/autistic traits. He is on meds for adhd which make him alot calmer.
After school today, a boy accused my son of throwing a rock at him even though he didnt see it, he just felt something hit his backpac. A few other kids siad they saw my son throw a rock too but then they left for the day so couldnt be questioned any further. My son denied this on numerous ocassions when questioned. Teacher said he would sort out on Mon morning as other kids were in the vicinity at the time.
When I got home I got talking to my son and wondered if it wasnt a "rock"thrown but something else and my son then said he randomly threw a small acorn and it may have hit this other kids backpack.
My son has a tendency to take things literally and is very rigid in his way of thinking.
My question for advice is............do I explain to the teacher my son takes things literally and is rigid in his thinking and thus said no to throwing a rock and explain what my son actually did do (randomy threw acorn) or should my son have known better and told the teacher there and then that he threw an acorn randomly and deal with the consequences?
Thanks for reading
Tara

Old 07-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: New.............would like some advice pls

With literal thinking I would just explain to the teacher how he thinks. "Did you throw a rock? No."

He should still accept the consequences- He threw something, but not be punished for lying as he told the truth.

I bet the teacher will be more descriptive next time when she is questioning him!

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

motomania HB User
Re: New.............would like some advice pls

first things first your son is at fault for potentially dangerous beahiour and thats it with that said the fact is that your son may require a tailored approach to his learning which includes dicipline which rest on the shoulders of those who are charged with his care and that means the school as well. If your son has needs that are not being met by the school then you will have to let them know they are failing to provide the basic care he requires and you may have to meet with them and talk about that and make a care plan, but if they are still unable to cater for him for what ever reason then that is their failure and you will have to ask them "why?". I do believe you are in touch with your sons proceses and abilities but schools like the "one size fits all" teaching approach it's less hassle for them and I know how hard it is on that side of the fence I went through school with A.D.D and no mom and dad to support me. Make sure they know that you want something.

Closed Thread