It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

Vnp03 HB User
Unhappy I'm so confused need serious help

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with ADHD when little, but my mom is a psychologist and never wanted me on meds. Now that I'm back to school, I'm 28, Is affecting me notably. Hence, I went to the University doctor to get a referral, but this is what happened:

1- he asked me why? I explained all of the above plus I expressed my concern of my impulsivity being worse of what I can remember as child or as a teen, I don't wait my turns in class, it's hard to be quiet once I start talking (I don't let ppl talk without interrupting them to prove my point) so it's terrible when u are a grownup and you do this sort of things..

2- the times and not busy I get terribly depress, so I thought that by reducing my anxiety and hyperactivity would help with the depressions.

Now, he prescribed Ritalin 5 mg. Morning and afternoon He said if that doesn't help you to concentrate take 10 each time

Today I took for the first time after a week 2 in the morning and first I didn't feel any different I dont feel like it's helping me to concentrate nor my impulsivity---plus I feel sooo down, tired and sleepy... Then I napped before my second dose and ate a portion of watermelon after the nap..I got a massive headache after eating, chest pain like gasses or a weird feeling that is hard to describe and the urge to eat salty (like when u have low blod pressure which a trend to have)

Now my question besides anyone having the same effects which I certainly just read... Am I on the wrong med maybe? I'm afraid to ask the doc without knowing my options!

Please helpppp...thanks in advance....

Last edited by Vnp03; 07-15-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: The title does not reflect my concern clearly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: I'm so confused need serious help

Vnp03,

Report your reactions to the med to your doctor. You are better off not knowing about medication alternatives beforehand. Follow your doctor's instructions. If after a few months you get no relief from current doc's counsel, get another doctor. Too many doctors remain ADHD ignorant. They do far more harm than good. A good psychiatrist can work "miracles" for you.

Bob

The following user gives a hug of support to addprogrammer:
Vnp03 (07-15-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
Vnp03 (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm so confused need serious help

Believe it or not, getting drowsy on Ritalin is a very common thing among people with ADHD. However, it does mean that Ritalin is probably not the right medicine for you. Maybe you would do better with a different stimulant, or maybe with a nonstimulant.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Vnp03 (07-15-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Vnp03 (07-15-2011)
Closed Thread