It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM   #1

lasthope HB User
Question Strattera and Teens

This is my first posting. I have a 13 1/2 yr old son who we just started on Strattera. He has ADHD/Impulsivity. He is extremely bright but two months ago started unraveling with school grades starting to slip. Was on honor roll and high honor roll all year until this final marking period. more moody, trouble sleeping etc. Also being sidelined by friends...behavior is annoying. Started in 1st grade on Ritalin, tried Adderall..but made him depressed, went to Concerta in 5th grade and worked with 36 mg for the past several years. 54 mg made him depressed. This is my last hope as school is getting more difficult and he can't find, remember or stick with anything...any advice to share during the Stattera changeover?

------------------
lasthope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 02:54 PM   #2

heather998 HB User
I was on Strattera and had serious side effects of dizziness, blanking out for a period of about half a minute (not losing consciousness or anything, just sight) especially when getting up too fast. I also couldn't sleep. Even though your son is young, I am 17 and I have been anxious and depressed with all my meds, including Concerta which is what I am currently taking (54mg, which is the only dosage that is effective enough). I would highly recommend adding a light antidepressant, which will most likely counteract the depression effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

jboon HB User
Smile

My son is almost 11 and had been on 54 mg of Concerta from June 2001 until March of this year. Concerta worked great for all of his ADHD symptom until about January, when his impulsivity seemed to become a problem again. Plus, on the Concerta he hadn't gained any weight over a period of 8 months, and he rarely fell asleep until well after 11 pm. So, in March we switched him to 40 mg of Strattera. It helped tremendously for his eating and sleeping habits (he gained 5 lbs the first two weeks he was on it, and went to bed nightly between 9-10 pm), but he seemed really scattered in his thoughts. After 6 weeks on the Strattera, he stopped it and used Ritalin for a week or so. The evening let down time kept him pretty wired and he seemed really anxious, but his behavior in school was great. So, the doctor reintroduced the Strattera in conjunction with the two doses of Ritalin per day. The Strattera seems to minimize the Ritalin's evening let down and help his anxiety level, and he's still eating and sleeping pretty well. And his behavior in school has been excellent. For us, right now, the Strattera/Ritalin combination seems to be working. It's been three weeks so far...we'll see how things go.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:45 AM   #4

lasthope HB User
jboon,
Thanks...my doc wanted to keep Concerta going with Strattera but my son can't sleep. So I gave him Ritalin for the past week in the morning and it has worked and he is still sleeping. He should probably have an afternoon dose but so far we have gotten by without it. This week he has finals so might give him the 2nd dose. So much is unknown. My worry is some of the postings about male side effects...last thing I want to do is cause side effects or permanent damage. Had a friend whose Mom took DES when she was pregnant and it caused infertility in the DES daughters...I worry about these kinds of things and no one has the answers so far. But on the other hand without meds he is not accepted by his peers and struggles in school...keep posting

Old 06-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

jboon HB User
Lasthope,

I've been concerned about the possibility of male side effects (from what I've been reading) in a boy about to hit puberty. Don't know if there's a right answer to it all or not... But, as you mentioned, my son can't function successfully without it. It's a shame the Concerta inhibits appetite and sleep because it was a life altering miracle for our son (and family). Maybe when he starts middle school (in Sept) we'll try Concerta again since he'll have to be up so early--who knows?!?! It's a shame our boys have the impulsivity part of ADHD--it's the most annoying part of the disorder to others, especially friends. Maturity will help some, I hope. I've been told the peer issues tend to improve gradually as they get older. So, your son is also doing the Strattera/Ritalin combo? How is it working for him?

Old 06-12-2003, 04:01 PM   #6

lasthope HB User
Jboon
Sorry I didn't check my posting sooner...thanks for the reply. My son(13) has been on strattera and Ritalin for not quite three weeks.
My son after one night of great sleep...(because we didn't use the concerta) didn't want to use it anymore. I didn't realize that Strattera took up to a month to kick in so I let him go to school one day with just Strattera. After one day of off the wall rebound behavior at school I added 15 mg of Ritalin once a day. Hate to say it but had about a months supply left from a previous prescrip. My doctor wanted to do a wean down off the Concerta but my son had had enough. So after a couple of days of feeling like he is in a fog the ritalin with the Strattera seems ok...I will let you know as the weeks go on. Somedays I want to take him completely off but as you said the impulsivity is what is the problem...with friends, talking etc. Also even when he is free of meds he doesn't sleep so if strattera is having a plus it is in the sleep area and in some ways he is less hyper...maybe due to being more rested. Hopefully you get this reply and I will share again..thanks

Old 06-12-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
(female)

jboon HB User
Lasthope,

My son, too, wanted no parts of the Concerta after he had several days of eating and sleeping. We've been doing the Strattera/Ritalin combo (40mg Strattera, 15 mg Ritalin in the am and 10 mg right after he eats lunch) for about three weeks too. It's been working. As soon as school is out, I plan to speak to his doctor about his thoughts on the whole male/puberty issue with Strattera. Our boys sound as though they have many of the same difficulties. I am thankful that my son is very thoughtful, not at all agressive, and he's an awesome athlete. His incessant talking gets him in the most trouble... From reading some of the other ADHD posts, it could be a lot worse.

Old 06-13-2003, 05:32 AM   #8

lasthope HB User
jboon
Yes they do sound alike. My son is on 60 strattera and I am giving him 15mg in the morning of Ritalin.(he weighs 125 and the 60 is on the low end) I know the afternoon is harder but so far we are ok...school year is winding down. I am going to talk to my Doc and am also in the provcess of having an entire re-evaluation done this summer...it has been a long time. I plan on no ritalin after next week and will see if we can do summer music and sports. I worry about fall and the homework load in 8th grade. Academically he did extremely well last year but homework and organization were a nightmare. We are talking less incessently now that he is off Concerta ans sleeping...don't know how it is at school but home seems a bit better. it got to be soooo much talking that my mind felt scrambled. Let me know how your summer shapes up...yes it could be so much worse. My son is also kind

Old 06-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #9

B_Grl_Online HB User
Lightbulb

Hello,
I wanted to tell you that I am 14 and I have started making a "log" for people to see so that they can know about strattera and it's effects on teens. I hope you view it because you may find it useful.

------------------
~*~ B ~*~

Closed Thread