It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

nadialiu HB User
My son's story

Hello,My name is Nadia.My son Luke has ADD ADHD.How can I know when My son can stop take his medication.He take concerta 27mg every day.Only on summer and winter brake he stop take medication.then when school start again he take this medication again.I want that he some day stop take it,but i do not know can we do this?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My son's story

Well, he should get coaching or study skills training. He should eat a nutritious breakfast and lunch every day, with low sugar and plenty of protein and fiber. He must get plenty of sleep every night, and the chance to run around outside as often as possible. Maybe these hints will help him manage so he doesn't need the medicine.

Or, maybe he will be able to stop taking medicine when he gets older and his brain matures more.

Or maybe he'll have to take it until he finishes school, or maybe he will always need it. It's hard to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

nadialiu HB User

thanks for your letter to me.How about your ADD and ADHD problem?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I had a very bad time in elementary school and high school, but at that time, doctors believed that girls didn't get ADHD, so I was not diagnosed until age 19. I used medication just for a few months, and I worked very hard to master study skills. I graduated from college, and my family was glad.

I do NOT use ADHD medication now.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
nadialiu (08-02-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

ToniErasmus HB User

Hi, I can relate to the fustration of having to use "medication" to handle the ADD/ADHD problem. My son is now 12 and was diagnosed with ADHD four years ago - along with a rare eye condition - "Albenism Retrinotis" (spelling is suspect), it is when too much light enters the eyes causing difficulting in seeing (he has the most beautiful blue eyes).

Anyway, I had him on conserta and placed him in a remedial school, although I was told he would go blind. He has now been in the school for four years and has not taken medication for two years, he does however take Omega 3 caps everyday.

I have worked with him on his studying and his concentration methods, letting him believe and understand that although he is different from other children, he is special and does not have a disability, both with his eyes and ADHD and that the medication was a stepping stone to help him until he learnt to control and handle the issues he had. He is doing great at school and is a blessing.

Believe in yourself and only you truly know your son - doctors can only assist on what they see from a medical side.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToniErasmus For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (08-08-2011), nadialiu (08-04-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
(female)

GR84U HB User

Hi, Nadia. Your worries about your son being on the Concerta are very understandable. I have a daughter who felt like you do about her daughter taking her ADHD meds. She recently switched her (during the summer) to something all-natural that has worked, and I plan to ask her what it was. She said it didn't have harmful chemicals, but that her daughter seems perfectly fine to start school again. I'll check back with you once I hear what it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to GR84U For This Useful Post:
nadialiu (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

ToniErasmus,

Every parent should read, memorize and apply in principle your post. They would have more useful guidance then if they studied the top 10 best books on raising ADHD children. The best of the books fill in the details. But really don't add much more useful information over your summany

I just like to emphasize to other parents that your wonderful results were achieved over many years of consistent well directed effort on your part. I see your many tears, sleepless nights and prayers between the lines.

There are NO easy fixes.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniErasmus View Post

I have worked with him on his studying and his concentration methods, letting him believe and understand that although he is different from other children, he is special and does not have a disability, both with his eyes and ADHD and that the medication was a stepping stone to help him until he learnt to control and handle the issues he had. He is doing great at school and is a blessing.

Believe in yourself and only you truly know your son - doctors can only assist on what they see from a medical side.

Last edited by addprogrammer; 08-08-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: ambiguous address

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
GR84U (08-09-2011), nadialiu (08-09-2011), ToniErasmus (08-08-2011)
Closed Thread