It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

Gr8danesrule HB User
Unhappy Adult add

We have recently found out that my son is add and my brother and my mother! Although I am a very average functioning adult I do have almost every symptom related to add from being bored easily, having multiple tasks going and not completing, very unorganized, short fuse, interrupting people, very inpatient and about 2 years ago my father became very ill and put slot of work and stress on me and I could not function as well at work which ultimately cost me my job! I have started a new career and I am very concerned that my anxiousness and lack of detail and easily distracted will cost me a dream job, but I don't have insurance to get tested!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

wolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB User
Re: Adult add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8danesrule View Post
We have recently found out that my son is add and my brother and my mother! Although I am a very average functioning adult I do have almost every symptom related to add from being bored easily, having multiple tasks going and not completing, very unorganized, short fuse, interrupting people, very inpatient and about 2 years ago my father became very ill and put slot of work and stress on me and I could not function as well at work which ultimately cost me my job! I have started a new career and I am very concerned that my anxiousness and lack of detail and easily distracted will cost me a dream job, but I don't have insurance to get tested!
Hello!
I like your new thread here because you took the time to list clearly and consisely some of the major symptoms of ADD.
So many of my family members have this, and some of my dear friends.
There are many websites, and books that address this issue with so many great
approaches. Even some people do the Talk Therapy thing to help.
I hope you will find some good help and are able to keep your job easily.
Good Luck and Good Health.
c

The Following User Says Thank You to wolfcafe For This Useful Post:
Gr8danesrule (08-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

Gr8danesrule HB User

Although I have functioned fairly well up to this point, I fear with age the scatter brain seems to be worsening! I know it's not asperger syndrome and I too have a nicotine addiction! Just want some relief! Suffer from insomnia and yes a little uptight most of the time!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Gr8danesrule,

You say, "I do have ALMOST every symptom related to add from being bored easily, having multiple tasks going and not completing, very unorganized, short fuse, interrupting people, very inpatient" and ...

"Almost?" I can't find any symptoms NOT in your list. I'm emphasizing that your stand-alone symptom list ALMOST can get you in at the ADHD club.

Doctors are rightly concerned about ruling out other possibilities.

Your family history is the first test that should applied. Are there others in your family diagnosed with ADDH?

Your son and brother and mother are diagnosed ADHD?

Hmn. Good chance that ADHD is causing your ADHD symptoms.

Several factors contribute to the degree of the ADHD symptoms we experience. The degree of our symptoms determines how much we need tp subtract from our ability to perform our job.

You cared for your dad while he was ill. You were a caregiver. There is no job that comes with greater stress than care giving. The outcome would have been no different without ADHD.

Will ADHD cause you problems at your new dream job? Do not risk it. Take your history and about $250 to a Chattanooga shrink. That should get you a prescription an ADHD medication. The medication will enable you to give attention to detail and suppress distractions. Everyone with ADHD worries about job performance until the ADHD is brought under control. Uncontrolled ADHD causes us to under perform at our jobs, schools, families, and every other feature in our lives. I'll bet that is why they call it a disorder.

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
Gr8danesrule (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
(male)

lunarweblink HB Userlunarweblink HB User

Adults with ADD/ADHD often have difficulty staying focused and attending to daily, mundane tasks. For example, you may be easily distracted by irrelevant sights and sounds, quickly bounce from one activity to another, or become bored quickly. Symptoms in this category are sometimes overlooked because they are less outwardly disruptive than the ADD/ADHD symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity—but they can be every bit as troublesome. The symptoms of inattention and concentration difficulties include:

* “zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation.
* extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
* difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others.
* struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
* tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work.
* poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunarweblink For This Useful Post:
Gr8danesrule (08-15-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
(female)

classiechic77 HB User

I'm a 32 yo woman with 4 children and recently diagnosed with Chiari Malformation, Otosclerosis. I have not been tested for ADD/ADHD but I have all the symptoms. The most recent one i noticed that worries me is the extreme rushes and bursts of energy out of no where.I cannot calm myself down, my heart races and often gives me anxiety. Can anyone relate? Also, I do suffer and have been diagnosed with Anxiety and Panic attacks. Im thinking this maybe just a symptom of the anxiety? Any feed back would be appreciated. I wish you all well. Thanks.

Closed Thread