It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

Shmiggy HB User
Question Concerta to Adderall?

I'm nineteen years old and I've just been diagnosed inattentive ADHD. I've been having a lot of trouble paying attention in school and getting work done, just a mess, so my doctor prescribed me Concerta 18 mg. I used it for an entire week and didn't feel a thing, no improvements with my concentration whatsoever. So I tried upping my dose to 36mg. I felt no emotion whatsoever, zombie-like. I just had no feeling and was tired all the time. And I don't think it did anything for me attention wise either. I'm starting to think that Concerta is more for people who have the hyperactive component of ADHD, which I've never had a problem with. I don't like feeling so, well boring. My friend has ADHD inattentive and is on adderall xr and loves it. I've been reading about it on the board though and it seems to be the better choice for inattentive ADHD? Not completely sure. thoughts? any help would be appreciated. And what would be the best way to address this to my psychiatrist?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Concerta to Adderall?

I have inattentive ADD, no H, and I take adderall and it works great for me. I've been on it for about 15 years. I take 20 mgs, twice a day to start off with. Within 6-9 months I lower the afternoon dose to 10 mgs, and then lower the morning dose another 6-9 months after that. If I don't lower the dose in those intervals, then my symptoms come back worse than before! Some people confuse that with tolerance and increase their dosage, which almost never works....

ANYWAY.... that's just something I've learned over the past several years of going on and off of adderall (I have had to quit when I've been pregnant and nursing).

Also, Adderall XR does NOT work for all people! It can cause severe symptoms (extreme anger and mood swings being the most common) in some people.

Other things I've learned just in the past few years....

The company who made the really crappy but most distributed generic adderall back in the day now makes the brand name adderall as well (the original brand adderall makers sold us out!). Brand name adderall today is crap for a lot of people.... some people like it, but it's really NOT worth the money! The best generic adderall today, the one that is closest to the original formula, is made by Eon labs, which is owned by Sandoz.... not sure which of those names is more significant, but they're both worth mentioning if you are going to ask for that particular generic. The pills come with an E and the number.... can't remember the exact number, but I think it's 407 or something like that, and the other side is scored with a cross cut.

Anyway.... you should be able to go into your doc and tell him concerta isn't working (tell him it makes you feel blah, and doesn't help with concentration at all), and that you've done a lot of researching and asking around and that you would like to try adderall. Any reasonable doc should be willing to work with you on that one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Concerta to Adderall?

Shmiggy,

Cool handle. Tell your shrinktoid what you told us. If your shrink is a psychiatrist, he/she will know immediately what will fix what ails you. If you get a hymn and howw, you got a shrink on your hands. God help you. Fire the damn stupid bozo, and find a psychiatrist that will help.

Been there, done tat, ain't going there again. Get a psychiatrist. You will get the counsel you need to turn your life around and be the superlative person you are.

Test your boy with the facts. You may already have a psychiatrist.

Don't let AHs intimate you with doctorals. If you have an AH managing your brain, fire the AH before it is too late. And find a psychiatrist.

Bob

Last edited by addprogrammer; 08-29-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: lift to life. Hmn. Cool fruadian slip.

Closed Thread