It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

PinkRoxy02 HB User
Sluggish Cignitive Tempo

Ok so this is a new one and after researching it on the net and all its symptoms I think it fits me to a T.

My reasons for this is:
* My brain doesnt function when I am tired as NT's will be able to still function normally when they are tired.
* My brain appears foggy and sluggish in the afternoons alot of the time and/or when I'm tired
* As a child and teen I would always appear in a daydream and am totally unaware of what is going on around me. (still is like that but not as much)
* Always felt like I had a lazy brain, I always felt lazy in school work because my brain would feel too fatigued to learn anything or take any info in.
* When I'm tired I find it hard to talk or hold a conversation comfortably with anyone its like its too exhausting to do so and I dont have the energy to do it.

There are others but Ive forgotten but those are to name a few.
I believe I have ADHD combined type too even though I appear inattentive and SCT but also have impulsiveness and somewhat hyperactivity but did have hyper as a child more so.
Its like I'm hyper and impulsive when I'm not tired and inattentive and SCT when I am tired, I always felt my tiredness does have a great affect on me to a degree which i always had to make sure I had enough sleep before work or an exam.

WHat do you lot think?
Does anyone here have SCT? and what are your symptoms or struggles you have to face with it?
I would love to hear them as it will help me put things into perspective.
Also if I get diagnosed with it is there any meds that can help the symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Sluggish Cignitive Tempo

PinkRoxy02,

You description sounds like Primarily Inattentive Type ADD.

Let's go down your list.

* My brain doesnt function when I am tired as NT's will be able to still function normally when they are tired.

Can those without ADD can function better than us when tired? Safety experts say driving when excessively tired is more dangerous than driving drunk. The deficit in attention is so severe that overly tired drivers drive into on-coming traffic, trees, poles, over banks and into creeks -- a far cry from normal.

* My brain appears foggy and sluggish in the afternoons alot of the time and/or when I'm tired.

Everyone's brain goes foggy and sluggish in the afternoon. However, in our case, we go brain dead in the afternoon. Medical attention will help.

The next three are typical of ADD primarily inattentive.

* As a child and teen I would always appear in a daydream and am totally unaware of what is going on around me. (still is like that but not as much)
* Always felt like I had a lazy brain, I always felt lazy in school work because my brain would feel too fatigued to learn anything or take any info in.
* When I'm tired I find it hard to talk or hold a conversation comfortably with anyone its like its too exhausting to do so and I dont have the energy to do it.

You AND me have the same brain bug. We are hyper and impulsive because our brain's have bad attention process voltage regulators. We find it difficult to control our energy and impulses because the controller cannot get the neurotransmitter signals of sufficient strength to brain modules, where for example the neurotransmitter dopamine triggers the neuro hormone dopamine in sufficient quantities to meet the demand.

Voltage regulators are used to balance supply and demand in electrical systems. If the demand exceeds the generators supply, the lights go out. It doesn't matter a hoot if the generator is working just fine if the regulator is bugged up. The regulator shuts down the generator when the regulator thinks supply is exceeding demand.

PET scans have repeatedly shown that our brains shut down when they should fire up. In a very real sense, we can not control our energy and impluses when the out-of-balance state is too great.

Its like I'm hyper and impulsive when I'm not tired and inattentive and SCT when I am tired, I always felt my tiredness does have a great affect on me to a degree which i always had to make sure I had enough sleep before work or an exam.

Similiar, we cannot "muster up" energy when tired. Not to worry. No one else can either.

You have the solution to fatigue caused attention deficit. Eat well and sleep well before tackling demanding tasks. There is NO other solution.

Our ADD differs in that when I get tired is when I get hyperactive. I need an non-stimulant ADHD medication for my evenings. I use Intuitive.

Our ADD is similar in that we both need a stimulant medication for our day job.

You must find a good psychiatrist that will work with you. I am forever freaking out when very good people come here and ask what to do about ADHD medication problems. It so disturbs me that so many doctors including shrinks are absolute morons when it comes to medically managing ADHD.

I asked a psychologist friend of mine to refer a psychiatrist. Finally, I got me a very good psychiatrist. Medication management is as complex as complex gets. We all need the services of a good psychiatrist to beat this beast. It is not something to be left to moron doctors or well intentioned layman like me.

Best wishes,
Bob

PinkRoxy02, I just now saw you are in New Zealand. You may not have the "shrink" problem we have in the States.

Last edited by addprogrammer; 09-01-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Global differences

Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
(female)

PinkRoxy02 HB User

Thanks so much for your information.
I havent been professionally diagnosed with either ADHD or SCT yet as my GP has made a referal for me to see someone but I now have to wait.
I struggle everyday with my life and lately its getting me depressed and anxious I am not going anywhere in my job and I am getting in trouble for things I try my best not to get in trouble for. I am so scared of losing my job that its causing me great distress. I really want the testing to hurry up so I can get my life sorted.

THanks again I really appreciate your info

Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

PinkRoxy,

I am very concerned for you. The feeling I'm getting from your posts is that your current state is frighteningly similar to the condition I was in 8, 9 years back. If so, you are at a critical junction. The medical decisions you make in the next few months will determine whether you become super woman or an emotional, physical, spiritual and psychological disaster area.

How do I know what I know? Why am I reasonably certain that my prognosis of your health and its consequences without medical intervention is fairly accurate?

Been there. Done that. I am forecasting your future by writing my history.

Your fears are very much of the rational type. Your job performance will continue to fall and you WILL lose your job if you do not get medical help NOW. Likely, loss of your job will move your serious depression symptoms up to totaling disabling. Your ability to function in all of life's significant facets will likely go to zilch.

Please consider directing your static anxiety energy to dynamically implementing the following steps.

1. Become the worst pest New Zealand doctors have ever experienced. Pester your GP mercilessly. She will quickly write your referral to get relief for herself.

2. Good psychiatrists around these parts are typically booked solid for four to six months. Start pestering the referred doctor for an appointment to fill his next cancellation opening if he or she is booked further out than two weeks.

3. You'll need an ADHD coach to act as your personal training assistant for some time after you initiate prescribed medication. No need to pester up an coach at this time. No reason you can't pester for fun.

More later.

Sidebar: JaneWhite, the word you used "training / trainer" by far conveys the most accurate definition for the psychological services that will help most. The term ADHD "coach" implies services of much less intensity than "trainer." Professional ADHD coaches are in fact ADHD rehab personal training assistants. Your science background shows up in the accuracy of your posts. Keep it up girl. I appreciate how consistently helpful you are.

Bye,
Bob

Closed Thread