It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

stoneager HB User
Question Cost of generic adderall

I have ADHD. Recently, like yesterday I got a refill 20 mg #60 without insurance that cost $80. This is exhorbitant compared to the 27 or 28 dollars, i was paying a month ago. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

Last edited by mod85; 10-12-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

ADHDMiddleAger HB User
Re: Cost of generic adderall

I have only been taking Adderall (not XR) 20 mg for 2 months and have paid right around $37 for 30 so $80 for 60 does seem a bit high. I get my RXs at Walgreens. You may want to shop around as I found the costs vary quite a bit from pharmacy to pharmacy. I also, when calling various pharmacies, found that the 30 mg pills were less than the 20 mg ones. Go figure! Sorry I cannot give you info on increases in price over time as I am new to this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

This I know is a lot of the major ins companies have some smaller plans, they don't cover a lot of things, but I'm glad for mine.
Example-script 1 cash price $308 my price $0.00
Script 2 cash price $279 my price $0.00
Script 3 cash price $54 my price $0.35

I can go on I pay $38 a month and save on scripts alone around $1000, now it only pays $50 toward a Dr visit and no coverage for ER or hospital or scans but it even covers some of the basic dental. Im not sure if we're allowed to say the company names on here or not, but I know ADHDmiddleager lives in the same state as myself and I'm positive he could get it

The scripts are so cheap due to an agreement between the insurance company and walgreens

Last edited by iluv; 10-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It seems the price has gone up lately. It seems to have something to do with restrictions in supply. Shire pharmaceuticals says the FDA is to blame, the FDA says it's Shire's fault.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
(female)

ADHDMiddleAger HB User

Tell me about it! There was no Adderall 20 mg to be had in my town at all. None of the pharmacies had it. I went on a wild goose chase trying to fill my Rx and ended up having to return my script and have it rewritten for 10 mg pills which I was finally able to track down at Target. Of course, I paid top dollar for that since I needed twice as many and it seems the lower the mg the higher the price. Do you think it's simply a matter of supply and demand? The more demand the greedier the pharmaceutical companies become?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
(female)

luvleeroy HB User

I just had my script of Adderall 30mg 60 count filled and the price was almost twice as much. It went from around $35 to anywhere from $65 to $89 (I checked every pharmacy). When I asked why, I was told that it was due to the pharmaceutical companies increasing manufacturing costs. BS! Check this out, the pharmacy I last had it filled at before the price increase was going to fill this months from the same bottle as last months. So how can the price go up because of the increasing cost to make it when the same bottle was still being used? I brought this point up to the pharmacist and they got quiet and put me on hold. Then said they could lower the price by $10! Thanks but um....not much help. I don't know about anyone else but I can be damn near dysfunctional without Adderall (generic equivalent) and I think it's damn unfair of these companies to do this to everyone who depends on it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
(female)

MARINELLI HB User

Count yourself lucky that you were able to find it that cheap. I just had mine filled and it cost me $280 for a 3 mo supply of 30mg generic.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
(female)

jackieshoes HB User

Hey all.. Been officially diagnosed for about a year, always had insurance...recently lost my job and insurance. I take 20 mg / 3 a day...I take the instant release because I like the "control" over whether I need the whole thing or not. Anyway, I went from paying $10/mo for 90 tabs, and now it's $120. I'd say there has been a significant price hike!!!

Wouldn't still use it if I was able to be a normal human without it...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
(female)

MezzanotteMarie HB User

Yes, mine went up from $27 to $78... and to my knowledge there is no help available to lower the cost of this generic medication....

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
(male)

drewman79 HB User
Cool Re: Cost of generic adderall

Your best bet if you do not have prescription health coverage, is look around the internet for free prescription cards and use the best one that will save you the most. I also take 20mg of adderall with a 60 count and it hurts the wallet if you dont have insurance, the free card will at least take 50% off and the best places to take it too are cosco, rite-aid or albertsons. I have found they are cheaper by as much as 60 to 70 % off for generic. Im switching to 30mg because it seems an enormous amount of people are taking the 20mg and therefore caused a shortage of supply and increased the cost by 40%. I was paying an average of 30 bucks a month up too as high as 80 dollars, the 80 was my bad took it to Ralphs pharmacy. The average for it right now is 56 to 59 dollars for the amount mentioned above. If you choose to move up in strength it wont change the cost, because pharmacies only charge by the count, not strength.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

I read that the FDA restricts how much companies can make now, and for whatever reason they've been restricted to producing the same amount of it every year despite the fact that each year the demand for it goes higher and higher as more and more people get prescriptions. What's sad is, most of its users will pay whatever they ask so long as they can get it. I mean, I didn't even think twice when I saw my co-pay go up! Kinda disturbing...

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
(female)

MissKamiKaze HB User
Red face Re: Cost of generic adderall

Hi Guys! I've been on 25mg of Generic Adderal for about a year and half. I have no insurance. I was paying 160$ for 30$ I went to pick up my meds yesterday day and they said 254$. I wna SHOCKED!!!!! being the owner knows my bf very well. he said he'd give it to me at the old price THIS LAST TIME!!

I am in dire need ATM!! I need To know if the price has doubled everywhere? What is a ChEAP insurance that would help for this ( I'm from PA). and/or any advice!!!

This medicine has drastically helped me. but, I can't afford 260$ month. That's like my car payment!!!!

hoping for some replies! Thanks do much for your time!

Thanks again! <3

Last edited by Administrator; 10-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
(female)

medchecker HB User

Also remember, the higher the count of pills, the less you pay. You may want to ask your doctor to write your scripts for 2-3 months @ a time rather than just 1 month each time so you will be paying less for the medication. I am lucky that I get my Adderall or any generic med free of charge, being on Medicaid here in Wa State. (disability med. ins.) Good luck, folks!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
(male)

Rorer714 HB User

The Average Wholesale Price of Barr Labs Generic Adderall 20 mg. in the year 2009,
was $137.16 for one bottle of 100 tablets. NDC #00555-0973-02 for this Schedule
II medication. My source is from the 113th year of a Thomson Reuters Book for pharmacist's and pharmacy owner's who choose which competitor's product to stock.
I am uncomfortable quoting the exact title of the book or ISBN # because of the rules
of this board. Note: As we all know, Barr Labs was bought out in a merger, in late December of 2008, by Teva US, generic Adderall known as Amphetamine Salt Combo.
I have been on Adderall since, the year 1999, to this very day. The Brand Adderall 20mg
manufactured by Duramed, (now, another division of Teva, US, Average Wholesale
Price for the year 2009, was $343.33 for one bottle of one hundred 20 mg Adderall. When I started taking brand Adderall, in 1999, it was made only in brand name, with
patent protection, by Richwood Pharmaceutical Inc of Kentucky, who bought the
manufacturing rights from Obetrol Division, of Rexar, Inc, Brooklyn NY. in 1993.
I also took Dexedrine Spansule 15 mg. for ten years, and, the cash price, at CVS
pharmacy chain for 60 Extended Release Smith Kline Beecham, later, Glaxo Smith Kline,
was a range from, $86.00 to $92.00 in the time span 1999 to 2008. The price increased
in 2009, Average Wholesale Price, that year, increased to $300.06 for one bottle of 90
Dexedrine Spansules, with the famous tapered end capsule. Generic Adderall, it appears has experienced a price increase, since 2009, by Teva US, of Sellersville, PA.
That is all I am comfortable sharing, I do not want to break any rules. I am a 63 yr old male, I got my ADHD diagnosis in June 1994, and have been on C-II stimulants ever since June 28, 1994. I hope the shortage from last year is over for all of us, and the
apparent price increases. In 1994, when Adderall, was marketed for the first time by
Richwood Pharmaceuticals, the Average Wholesale Price was $67.03 for one bottle of
20 mg. tablets (one hundred count). "Obetrol" was marketed that final year, 1994, at the identical price, during the transition, and was formerly manufactured year round since at least 1965. I have the source book in my lap, but I shall refrain from giving out
the source, again, trying to abide by the rules of this forum.

Closed Thread