It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

caisaco HB User
Not trying to self-diagnose, but...

I'm wondering if I have ADD, I am 18 years old by the way.
I read on some websites about ADD in adults and a lot matched me. I constantly lose things, when people give me directions or instructions on homework or anything I zone out and it goes in one ear and out the other no matter how hard I try to understand. I recently got into college and I couldn't even complete my homework assignment, took me three days and it was so easy but when I sit there I feel super jittery and want to just run down my street. When I read things I can read a whole page then not even remember anything.
I get distracted easily. I always over look my work, if I take a test I finish before anyone else, but I usually over look my work, change my answers and they're wrong and I get a bad grade. My teachers would tell me to look over my work a lot before I turn it in, and I always make it worse than it was before I just finished it quickly.
I forget A LOT. My mom says I just don't pay attention because it's not interesting to me, but truly, I want to remember but can't. I always have to write things down in my phone calendar so I don't forget small things, even big things.
If something isn't interesting, such as English class or History, the only way I can pass the class is if I cheat, I cheated in History all two years and passed D: There is NO way I can understand or learn something I really find tedious.
The only way I can get something done is if I procrastinate.

The only thing that doesn't effect me is lateness. I am NEVER late to anything I always make sure to arrive on time to everything, thankfully.

I always shake my feet or fidget with my nails and hands and stuff too.
Not sure if it's a symptom but I compulsively shop, if I have money and I am feeling depressed I'll spend all my money then come home and be like "woah I bought this?!"

I get mood swings a lot and irritable out of no where.
I do hold emotions in all the time though, my boyfriend (well ex, but we're working on it, confusing I know. had problems because I wouldn't show him love even though I love him more than anything in the world, I just can't show emotion well even to him)

Does this sound like ADD to you? I don't know how to fix me, I need to do my homework for college, it's so much more important than high school, I've only gone to two classes, it's so boring I want to quit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Not trying to self-diagnose, but...

That does sound a LOT like adult ADHD. I would get checked. The best place to start would be the psychiatrist of someone who's been treated for ADHD successfully, but if not, get a referral from your family doctor.

Being able to use a phone calendar reliably great job! It sounds like you've developed organizational skills that work, for you it's just focusing to read or study.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

caisaco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
That does sound a LOT like adult ADHD. I would get checked. The best place to start would be the psychiatrist of someone who's been treated for ADHD successfully, but if not, get a referral from your family doctor.

Being able to use a phone calendar reliably great job! It sounds like you've developed organizational skills that work, for you it's just focusing to read or study.
I'm just scared to ask my doctor, because a lot of my friends have it, and they had to go on medicine, and they acted like zombies and eventually got off, they weren't the same at all on the medication..

I do need to exercise more and actually use my membership, I read that exercising regularly can help.

I can't describe the feeling I get when I have to do homework, it's like weird internally and I feel just.. weird, like my brain is about to explode lol I hate it, even typing right now I feel really frustrated and antsy lol. But the thing is, I don't really have energy, I usually always feel sluggish and tired and sick, but I randomly get bursts of energy.

Do you have to be hyper and talk a lot to be considered ADD?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If they became zombies, they were on the wrong medicine or too high a dose. When I am on the right meds, I'm just Jane having a particularly productive day.

No, you don't have to be hyperactive. Without hyperactivity, it's called inattentive type ADHD.

Exercise is a big help. It really makes my brain work so much better.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

caisaco HB User

Hmmm. Does it make you gain weight? I am genetically skinny and I like it, I'm always scared to go on medication that COULD make me gain weight.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The stimulant medications do not cause weight gain, the non-stimulants sometimes do.

Closed Thread