It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
(male)

Shrek123 HB User
Add, adhd,?

So I'm a 24 year old male returning to college after a few years in the workforce. I always got straight A's in highschool and in the year of tech school I attended before joining the workforce. I've also always thought that ADD/ADHD is was an overly diagnosed joke to control kids... until recently. I learned that my girlfriend of two years is on Adderall for ADD.. Cut to the chase, Since coming back to school its been a real struggle trying to stay focused and studying. It seems that my mind is always racing about everything else imaginable that I have going on. I get easily distracted, going to different website, opening the fridge, turning on the tv, going out for a smoke, texting, trying to find a more comfortable position, etc.. And as soon as I do sit down to study I immiedatly find my eyes wandering and getting distracted. I cant seem to start anything until its due and even then have a hard time concentrating on it. My girlfriend, and parents say that I have been less organized, missing planned events, etc. ANYWAY.. I had to study for two exams one day and could not for the life of me stay focused... my girlfriend told me to try a couple of her adderall (I know, not the smartest idea to take perscriptions that aren't yours, and I typically do not, but I was desperate) I couldn't believe the difference it made. Within an hour I could stay focused on what I was doing, I was able to prioritize what I was studying, I didn't get distracted once, didnt go out for a smoke, didnt open the fridge, didnt go to any other websites, just studied and learned. The biggest thing is that I could tell I was just 100% more calm and relaxed then I normally am. I was focused completely on what I was studying, and my mind wasn't racing about everything else going on in my life. I know without having a med chart in front of you, or knowing the rest of my life, you cannot entirely diagnose anything online, but from what I've told you, do you think there is a possibility I have some form of ADD or ADHD or a similar issue? I assure you I have NO intentions of abusing Adderol in any way, and I do not want to take presciptions that are not diagnosed, I guess Im just trying to figure out if I indeed have an issue and that if a drug such as adderoll may be right for me. Thanks for reading, sorry about the length

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Add, adhd,?

Shrek123,

ADHD is certainly a possibility. Doctors like to see the symptoms present before age 9 to dx ADHD.

Evidently you have not been troubled with your ADHD symptoms until rather recently, age 23, 24. The symptoms you list are symptoms of attention deficit disorder, i.e., struggle trying to stay focused and studying. easily distracted, unable to start anything until threatened by the deadline, hard time concentrating, etc.

There are many causes of attention deficiency. It is possible something else is causing ADHD like symptoms. Adderall and other stimulants help control attention deficits whether caused by ADHD or something else. The fact that Adderall helped you does not establish that ADHD is the cause. For example, doctors prescribe Adderall for patients taking powerful medication with attention deficit causing side effects. The medication is obviously the cause, not ADHD. Yet Adderall helps improve their concentration while taking the medication causing the problem.

Recently you went back to college after a few years in the work force. Could resuming college be the trigger of your symptoms? Or could it have triggered the symptoms from existing asymtomatic ADHD? Yes to both.

RE: "I know without having a med chart in front of you, or knowing the rest of my life, you cannot entirely diagnose anything online"

If I had your unabridged life history and the best medical chart in front of me, I could not diagnose the cause of your symptoms. You are better off drinking snake oil than relying on any cyber diagnoses.

There is nothing wrong giving you a few possibilities. Take the info you got, and go see a good psychiatrist. Are your symptoms interfering with your ability to function in the adult world? How badly is your life being disrupted? You are intellectually capable to do college work. Are your symptoms hindering your ability to keep up the college pace? That sounds pretty damn serious to me.

Tell the pdoc how you are being adversely affected and how badly. Make sure he gets your medical records. Do you remember any indication of attention difficulties in grade or HS? Were you able to get your high grades without much effort? Little study? Did you seemingly absorb subjects as if by osmosis? Your brain power may have been enough to overcome any attention problems you may have had. The college level load may have exceeded your intellectual ability to learn without paying much attention.

Do not fabricate anything. If you have no recollection of attention problems before now does not mean you do not have a disabling attention deficit. It might mean something other ADHD is the cause. There is no way in hell to fix any problem without knowing what to fix, that is, the cause. Do your best to give the doc accurate info that he can use to do his medical diagnostic detective work. If the doc nails the cause, your problem is solved. Otherwise you are screwed.

Bob

Closed Thread