It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

ginakisska HB User
ADHD and not so nice pharmacists

So I take generic adderall 20mg twice daily. And once in a while I feel like I'm depressed or things aren't going as they should.. so I may take more than prescribed; which my doctor doesn't mind at all. However, I have asked him not to prescribe me any higher dosages, when he offered since I don't think I need it, but might abuse it if I have it. Hope that made sense.. So what happens is, he gives me prescriptions early, and usually they are only a few days early. But #1: pharmacists are so rude and treat you like you are a drug dealer or something (even though they can see I'm getting the same prescription from the same doctor every time). #2: my insurance will not pay for it unless it is less than 7 days early. This has been a ****** month for me, and I ran out of adderall and I'm even willing to pay for it from my pocket, but afraid that the pharmacists will be mean and make me feel like a criminal or something. Just 'cause I'm 24 doesn't mean I'm abusing drugs!!! Can anyone suggest what to do?? I really would like to avoid the dirty looks and the: " We cannot fill this because it is too early, or you should have some left." Please help..

Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User
Re: ADHD and not so nice pharmacists

Have your dr rewrite the script for 2 to 3 times daily as needed then only prescibe 75 pills, that fixes it. My pain management does that for me on my NORCO I get 150 a month allows 4-6 per day depending on my pain levels. Real simple then see if your pharmacy does auto fill-if so you don't have to deal with their approval anymore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

ADHDMiddleAger HB User

Why not go to another pharmacy this one time?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

ADHDMiddleAger HB User

At least here in FL you have to physically go in and pick up a written Rx every month for controlled substances, i.e., Adderall. Auto refill would not be available. My doc has to now fill out the Rx in duplicate with a carbon copy going who knows where.

The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDMiddleAger For This Useful Post:
iluv (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

I didn't realize adderall was on the list. My Norco is and I have to go every month. I still have the option though. They just added Xanax too, so now I have 2 doctors I have to see every month. Also having the option of 4-6 p/day on some months leaves me extra and allows me to reschedule or sometimes I won't make my appointment until a week before. Then it can stretch out to 5 weeks and saves me some money on the visits

Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
(male)

Yogurt HB User

Usually, the pharmacists are concerned with the ongoing regulatory agency's audits of the pharmacy's policies and procedures. If you're willing to pay out of pocket, you could try a pharmacy that doesn't have your insurance info. on file so an early fill won't trigger a red flag in their computer system.

I would suggest considering your doctor's offer of a higher quantity script. I understand where you're coming from in wanting to avoid that. The fact that larger quantities are even more difficult to fill prevents me from even bringing it up with my doctor.

It's been my experience that pharmacists really do their best in assisting us. They have a lot of red tape to deal with in dispensing these meds. For your own benefit, consider the pharmacists as your friends and being on your side in your treatment program.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

CompassionLdy HB User

Dear Friend

I am really saddened to hear of your experience. I notice a trend in my profession based on ignorance, fear and lack of life experience. Insurance issues are one thing (Iluv sent good advice- doctors can write rx to take care of those issues) but pharmacist attitude makes so much difference. As I see it, patients come to us for care and for compassion and not to get judgement and attitude. I am sick of hearing coworkers make judgements about patients because of a prescription for a controlled substance. If you leave the pharmacy feeling that you have not been treated with respect and caring, report that staff person to their company office or website or phone number. This is a trend that we have to fight- and I am in this fight with you. We have to fight it for ourselves, and for millions of patients with ADD, cancer, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, traumatic injury and all others. This fight is as important as all the other needs requiring a change in our healthcare system. Maybe check out the law through state and federal Controlled substancdd acts- don't let pharmacists tell you that something is illegal when it is not. We are required only to have a legal prescription (Date, drug name, your name, signtature, etc) and to fill the rx "in good faith" but we are not required to limit quantities or early refills when approved ! Too many young pharmcists are afraid to fill a control prescription but they themselves do not remember their law courses and are to lazy to consider your individual case and what your therapy regimen requires with things such as dose adustment. I am so sick of hearing "that person's addicted" just because they have more than one rx in their profile - even with cancer patients on their deathbed. We now have an overabundance of pharmacist, and many can't get a job. I believe pharmacists must first be caring and if they can't, they should do socmething else and some other pharmacist would be glad to have their job. we. Take care.

Closed Thread