It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: ADHD frustration

Just wondering what your caffine intake is....? For myself I don't drink much coffee or tea or have much chocolate...but since starting Ritalin, I notice I need to watch as to not over stimulate? Afraid of a headache. Also, I notice too much carbs make the med not as effective. Another thing to watch is drinking tropical juices?? Hope it helps.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #17
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

Just to bring everyone up to date, I went back on Adderall and was able to finally push through the headaches with the limited help of pain relievers. I found that once the headaches went away, however, that so did Adderall's effectiveness. Vyvanse seems to be the same. So now I'm going to go back to give Ritalin another shot. Does anyone else take Ritalin? What is your dosage? My doc prescribed 10 mg three times a day initially.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

How's it going?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #19
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

Day 2 of Ritalin after getting all Adderall and Ritalin out of my system. Yesterday was good. Exercised in the morning and took 15 mg at breakfast and 15 mg at lunch. That got me through the day with only a faint sign of a slight headache in the late afternoon and evening. This morning I woke up with a very minor headache. Took 15 mg at 8:00 after doing 30 minutes of cardio. My headache has steadily increased in intensity up until now (noon).

What to do now? I suppose I will pop a couple of Advil and go ahead and take my regular 15 mg dose. I'm not getting a good feeling about this as it seems to be following the same pattern as the other stimulants I've tried. There's a good chance I'm going to have to look at some non-stimulant meds, and I'm not sure what to think about them at this point. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for asking. How have things been going with you?

Aaron

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
(male)

I cut out caffeine some time back when I was taking Ritalin. I also make sure drink plenty of fluids. Honestly I don't think there's anything I could do that would prevent the headaches. They just come with the territory for me. That being said, there's no way I can live with them. They get so bad that it negates any positive effect of the medication. My headache got very bad this afternoon so I left work early. I'm done with Ritalin and all ADHD stimulant medication.

I faxed my doctor this afternoon and asked if I could try a non-stimulant medication. Two options Iíve read about and presented to him as a possibility from my perspective are Intuniv and Strattera. Iím hesitant with Intuniv because it works by slowing down your system. I donít feel like I need something that slows my system down or might induce depression. I feel like I need more energy and not less. Plus from what Iím reading on the web many times Intuniv is prescribed in combination with a stimulant, and we all know what stimulants do to me.

I found a coupon for a free 30-day trial of Strattera online. I know it's brand name and expensive, but I am blessed to have good insurance right now. I figure it's worth a shot if my doctor agrees. I'll let you know.

Aaron

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #21
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

Aaron just a quick note for you your going through a lot right now and trying so hard to figure out answers. Stress increases headaches so do many foods. I learned with my sons that there were many foods that I just couldn't feed them due to thier ADD. I am also a 32 year severe migraine sufferer. It wasn't until 2 years ago when I changed Neurologists that I learned that foods also cause headaches. I found a list on ***** for that. Its actually quite shocking. I ran myself through a 60 day trial and error on the foods. Each food caused a headache of some type. Just be sure of what is really causing your headaches. It may even be worth making an appointment with a Neurologist to help with the headaches and allowing your ADHD medication to remain effective.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iluv For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (12-01-2011), addventurous (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #22
(male)

Smile Re: ADHD frustration

I think I read somewhere that stimulant medications don't necessarily cause migraine headaches as much as they magnify anything headache that's already there (if that makes any sense). If that's the case then what you are saying makes sense. I'm just not ready at this time to give stimulants another go. The headaches are too much, I've struggled with them too long, and I need a break. That being said I will certainly look into the ***** list. As for seeing a neurologist I suppose that's an option but I'm not quite there yet.

Thanks for your input iluv!

Last edited by addventurous; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: I thanked the wrong person!

The following user gives a hug of support to addventurous:
iluv (01-02-2012)
Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

Hey Aaron,
Sorry I haven't been here. So how are you doing now? Don't write off the Neurologist so quick though. Just remember ADHD is in the brain. You may be surprised at the insight that one may have. The combination of doctors may help you more than you think. Who would know more about the brains functions? Anyway, I would like to know how your doing.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Aaron,

RE: Intuniv

It is complex stuff. Intuniv (Tenex, Guanfacine - high blood pressure med for Italians like half of me), probably acts as an stimulant on the prefrontal cortex - that is where are controllers are located.

Don't fear it. It is good stuff.

Strattera sucks per Thunor.

Bob

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
(male)

It's so good to know that others wonder how I'm doing. I feel like such a social recluse on these boards and in my life, and I feel like I don't deserve anyone to care how I'm doing since I'm so self-focused. So thank you. To be honest I feel like I'm so busy lately I have very little time to do the things I really want to do.

Please bear with me here. I may have called myself ADHD inattentive before, but I'm beginning to think that hyperactive "H" is there for a reason. It feels as if I've gone hyperactive now as I can't seem to slow down. I'm not on any meds at all, and I feel like I've turned into a crazy man who can't slow down. There are about a million thoughts in my head at any time right now, and it's coming out in lots of activity and nervous energy. Can an ADDer just flip like that?

It's been an interesting ride lately. The Thanksgiving holidays were good though I can certainly tell how much the meds help. I took Adderall 5 mg on Saturday to see if it could give me a little "umph" to get through the day. It seemed to help, but it was intentionally a very small dose. I still got a minor headache in the evening but an ibuprofen knocked it out. (I took Adderall 5 mg again this morning and felt nothing ... except the headache that is just beginning to come on.)

I had an epiphany Sunday night / Monday morning. "I have ADD!" I believe it. I know it. I'm no longer questioning it. I don't know what happened to cause me to believe it, but I do now and that helps a lot. At least I know what I'm dealing with.

It's been a little crazy this week. I did some reading online about coping with ADD and started using tasks lists. I always used them at work, but I started using them in my life. Instead of procrastinating and putting things off like I used to I'm making myself check things off my list each day. I push myself to do things and make progress. I think I'm keeping it pretty simple, but it's a lot of work. Maybe I've overdoing it because I feel like I'm exhausting myself. I don't feel like myself at all. I feel like a robot just trying to keep up. I'm not happy but I'm very productive. I'm not sure if that's a good trade-off.

Good news! I have an appointment with a neurologist on 12/14! I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm tired of trying to play doctor myself. This neurologist was recommended to me by my therapist.

I've been exercising fairly regularly so I feel good about that. Thanks for your encouragement on that stressless. This morning while walking on the treadmill I began reading "Delivered from Distraction". It's very interesting and eye-opening so far.

Back to work for me.

Aaron

Closed Thread