It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
(male)

ggeske HB User
Talking Temporal lobe ADD

Does anyone have any experience with treatment of temporal lobe dysexecutive dysfunction variety ADD With either amantadine or gabapentin?? I know other anticonvulsants have been suggested but are associated with hepatotoxicity. The mood instability and impulsivity is in need of some treatment other than just stimulant medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Temporal lobe ADD

ggeske,

I thought I might suggest Neurontin as a friend about 38yo takes it for neuralgia. He finds Neurontin effective and experiences no side-effects worth noting.

I just discovered that Neurontin is gabapentin.

You are correct in that an anticonvulsant is necessary in conjunction with a stimulant to control temporal lobe ADHD.

Perhaps, gabpentin, may help you without poisoning you. Have you tried it? Tolerances toward medication varies widely person to person.

Yes, mental disorders suck.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

ggeske,

I believe I first understood you incorrectly. You are asking about using gabapentin (and amantadine) for temporal lobe ADHD in place of other anticonvulsants, not the other way around.

BTW: Logical sign errors ( + or -) plague me. Other members of this board report the same. The sign swap error is a product of ADHD. Bluntly, I get things bass-ackwards consistently.

I called my friend to confirmed that he gets relief from Neurontin without noticeable side-effects. Yes. 300mg of gabapentin controls his severe pain and the twitching in his back, lower abdomine and legs. Doctors have been unable to come up with a diagnosis that explains his symptoms.

Dr. Daniel Amen has prescribed gabapentin for temporal lobe ADHD with good results. Gabapentin has helped control the dark, often violent thoughts, and other disturbances caused by bugs in the temporal lobes.

"Healing ADD ... the 6 Types of ADD" by Daniel Amen, M.D., is a must read. An entire chapter is devoted to "Temporal Lobe ADD."

Regards,
Bob

Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
(male)

ggeske HB User

Bob,
jThanks for the direction. I just read the book you recommend. I truly believe. There is such a thing. More complex than simple adhd. I have 3 kids and 2 are effected by one or the other. Genetic basis for sure I think. Problem is there is nobody Herr in this area that would ever prescribe gabapentin for ADD in a million years. I want to try it as I can get literally lost in my mind in the middle of the house or elsewhere. Between, is there a loss of time accountability in any of these? I often get into a bit of a time warp and lose all track of time. Very difficult for anyone that lives and deals with me.
Grant

Closed Thread