It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

ecrad17 HB User
Help...Is this ADD or just all in my head??

Let me start off by saying that I'm 27 - I work full-time, along with going to school full-time, oh and the 2 kids - can't forget them Needless to say, I have a lot going on.

In my childhood my teachers always said that I didn't live up to my potential. I constantly skipped homework or didn't finish it. I lacked a lot of motivation to do well, not for lack of smarts though. I frequently got in trouble for "attention grabbing" acts. I remember stealing stuff out of multiple student's desks in 2nd grade for no other reason than I felt like it. I was constantly waiting until the last minute to complete papers and projects, because I couldn't focus on them.

After having my first child I experienced an increase in anxiety and depression. I was put on Lexapro, Effexor XR, citalopram, and Prozac - all of which I maxxed out on dosing. They worked for a little while, but it seemed that the symptoms continued to return. I have been given xanax for acute anxiety attacks, which I use maybe 1-2 times a week. Even after .5mg I still feel anxious, but it does help some.

I constantly procrastinate with paying bills (if they get paid at all). Projects at work hardly get done unless they are challenging and even then I usually don't completely finish them because another task pops into my head and I move on to it before completing the first one. I have issues with organization, as much as I want to stay organized or try to make a plan I always end up failing. My house looks like a wreck even though everything has it's righful place I just can't seem to motivate myself to clean or do laundry. I have a very short temper and get angry over the simplest of things, sometimes I don't even know what is making me upset. I can't stand people in my personal space or touching me, even if it's just a hand on the shoulder, it immediatly gets me going. I over eat which I think is because it gives me something to do. I always have to be doing more than one thing, playing with my phone while watching a movie or out to dinner. I have a hard time sitting still without changing positions or moving my feet. I answer people before they can finish what they're saying and I have a real difficulty with being patient. Oh, did I mention that I have a tendancy to ramble ?

I'm worried because I have been doing poorly now that I'm in my college classes and I feel overwhelmed with the amount of work that I have, yet I can't seem to study or organize a schedule that would allow me to. I manage two physician offices and I can't seem to get through anything that involves me concentrating for a long period of time. I have had a failed marriage and many relationships that I blamed myself for. In the past I just attributed everything to my type A personality and need for perfection, but after researching ADHD for my boyfriend I realized that many of the traits resmebled me and my actions.

I want an honest opinion from someone who knows about ADD if my symptoms fit.

Last edited by mod85; 10-25-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Help...Is this ADD or just all in my head??

ecrad17,

It is all in your head. Is it ADHD? Hmn, sounds like ADHD to me.

See a psychiatrist to get an accurate diagnosis.

BTW "They" have accused me of "It is all in my head" for years. I reply, "You are absolutely right."

Bob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
addventurous (10-25-2011), iluv (10-21-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

ecrad17 HB User

Ha ha.
I've got an appt in two weeks, I just don't want to walk in to the appt feeling like I'm overreacting.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

You sure sound like my 2 sons and yes they are ADHD. My sons are young adults now and there are some what we call tricks to the trade. Its sorta common to have difficulty with organization and focus. There are a few of us in here with some experience in the field if you ever need us.

Good luck

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Thumbs up Re: Help...Is this ADD or just all in my head??

@ecrad17 I can't tell you whether you have ADHD or not. I can tell you that I very much relate to some of the things you mention. I used to have a hard time paying bills on time until I automated the hell out of everything. Now I pay them on time I just don't know what I pay. I have a hard time motivating myself to do things as well. My office has been a wreck for years now. When Adderall was working I made some progress on it, but now that I can't take it anymore because of the headaches I haven't made any progress lately. I'm a completely different person on that stuff.

I'm glad you're going to talk to someone about it, and I hope you find some answers.

Aaron

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

While full-time work, full-time school and 2 kids would be enough to overwhelm anyone, your childhood behaviour seems to indicate that ADHD is a real possibility.

Closed Thread