It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

SUNNYSIDE1 HB User
Inattentive

When I was in grade/elementary school on my report card my first grade teacher said i was inattentive. Yes, I got all good reviews such as, gets along well with others, respects others, all good . Inattentive didn't sound like a negative word so I and I supppose my parents were not moved by it.

Furthermore, all throughout elementary school, the teacher would give me good remarks but, also inattentiveness.

Just wondered if anybody else got remarks like inattentiveness from their teachers, thanks !!

I recall when during , one class (reading) the students would have to complete reading assignments in class. I recall never able to concentrate on the reading. Almost like i couldn't relax enough to just sit down and read. So I would look like I was reading but, would just drift off . Maybe I would read some but, then I would get distracted.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Inattentive

Hi!Yes, I was in grade school and got along well with all the kids. I was actually surprised when at a "parents night" school meeting I overheard my teacher tell my mom that I often "daydream" and it really bugged me at the time. My mom never told me about it. But I never forgot it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Officially, there are two types of ADHD, hyperactive and primarily inattentive. You'll find many here, including myself, that are of the primarily inattentive type.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Talking Re: Inattentive

Hi sunnyside,
Inattentive here too although earlier this week with a lot of stress at work I felt like a hyperactive side of me came out very strongly. It was weird, and it was about that time that I told myself I've got to stop trying to do too many things at once.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, so I hope you'll stick around and take advantage of their wisdom. There's nothing better than ADDers helping each other out and forming supportive friendships.

Aaron

The Following User Says Thank You to addventurous For This Useful Post:
SUNNYSIDE1 (12-31-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
(female)

momof2rugrats HB Usermomof2rugrats HB User

I used to get into trouble for not paying attention. I remember doing the same. Acting like I was reading or doing my work. I seemed to never be able to remember or comprehend anything

Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
(female)

Milliegirl50 HB User

I know this is an older post....but I just joined the group!

When I was being evaluated for ADD my doctor asked me, if on the off chance I had any old report cards from grammar school. Being that I am almost 50, that could have been a huge problem....BUT my dear mother saved everything from my school years....along with my report cards. She didn't realize it at the time, but because she saved them....she saved me! From Kindergarten on....every single one of my report cards had something scrawled on the back of it (where the teacher comments section was) that went like this... "Millie needs to pay attention"...or "Millie needs to learn self control" or "Millie needs to stop day dreaming." One comment from my fourth grade teacher made me LOL ...."Millie has a VERY messy desk...she needs to learn where the garbage can is!" I am sure my mom got right on that one, that is AFTER she stopped laughing.Instead of throwing things away, I was a stuffer(saver)....my mom was too....you could not open a drawer in her house without crap falling out everywhere. I took the stuffing/saving one step further in my adult years. Along with my overstuffed drawers my closets were hazardous(poor hubby got hit in the head with a duraflame log when he opened up the hall closet once.) .My first task after my diagnosis was getting my own closet organized, wow! what a difference that has made in my mornings!
So...to make a long story even longer...all of the comments made by my teachers carried the same theme....(attention, organizational issues,self control) were the story of my life up until last year. ....These report cards provided my doc with much needed information about my childhood and were extremely helpful towards a correct diagnosis.(At my age the first thing they have to rule out is menopausal issues.)

Oh...and yes the report cards were "stuffed" in a bedroom dresser drawer,who puts clothes in dresser drawers anyway? So...thanks mom!

The following user gives a hug of support to Milliegirl50:
SUNNYSIDE1 (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
(female)

SUNNYSIDE1 HB User

exactly ! I would just look at the words on the page and no wonder i got
bad grades !! All my other classmates looked like they were reading. . . . I didn't comprehend what I read because, I couldn't just relax and focus on the reading.

Closed Thread