It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
(male)

justin654 HB User
Recently diagnosed with ADHD

Hello! I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD/ADD about a month ago, I had the symptoms my entire childhood. I'm the type of guy who doesn't like doctors for anything. But I felt it was ruining my life. I dropped out of school because I couldn't focus, Had no interest in school, Always procrastinated doing homework and then forgot to do it last minute. Dropped out my last year of HS. So instead, I got a job and that's where I also noticed I was ALWAYS jumping from task to task, Forgetting what I was literally just told etc..Any who, I'm 19, 6'2 and 145lbs. My doctor has put me on Ritalin 5mg twice a day, and Zoloft 25 mg once a day for anxiety(Don't ask me why, She swears I have it). I just started the ritalin 2 days ago, I can only say it helps me not feel tired. Is the mg dosage so low that it's only effective to an extent? How would I go on asking the doctor for a higher mg?

The main reason I'm asking is because my shift is 2:30am to 1pm. I'm having trouble knowing when to take the ritalin. The past couple days I've been taking it about a half hour before I leave for work, And then take it when I get home. The thing about that is I usually just go straight to bed after taking it. I feel the awake-ness wears off VERY quick. About 2 hours after taking it. Any advice? Please excuse the wall-o-text.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Recently diagnosed with ADHD

Justin,

I've learned to work with my ADHD brain. I always have many projects in progress. I get bored with one, jump to another. The net result is I get far more done than linear brained thinkers. FAR MORE.

We have develop the skills to control our run-away brains. I have had to and continue to work on controlling my out-of-control self. Work with it, not against it is the singular most important thing I've learned.

I don't know when you should take your meds. I refuse to work any hours other daylight hours. Cuz I can't.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
(male)

Dean Martin HB User

As far as your dosage is concerned, that is something that should be a work in progress with you and your doctor. Medication of ADHD should not be a one time thing and it will often take a lot of tweaking by your physician to get it to where it is most effective. If your physician doesn't do that, I would find a physician who has more experience in treating ADHD. I understand you taking the ritalin before work starts but I'm puzzled as to why the doc would have you take it before going to bed? I bet he isn't aware that you need to go to bed right after work. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

5 mg is a pretty low dosage of Ritalin for an adult, but it works for some people.

It works much better, though, if you get enough sleep. Do you? Or does the shift work mess up your sleeping patterns?

Definitely take the first dose before work. Some people take the second one at lunch.

Once you get your meds straightened out, you probably want to get some training in skills. You may want to go back to school. Get a GED at least, if you don't have one. Until you are 21, you have the right to return to HS and finish, or you can try your local community college.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

Jacki222 HB User

Hi, I have been taking meds off and on for about 10yrs. I wast correctly dignosed until I was 40 I am 51 now. I am currently a full student and getting mostly A's, I have been attempting to get get a college degree since 1988. Anyway enough about that I take adderall,which I think is far better then Ritalin. I started at 5mg 2x a day. I know take 30mg 3x a day. As your body grows a tolerance, as it will quickly tell your doctor that. Let her know that it was working, but doesn't seem to working as well now. Wellbourn is a good med that you can take with a ADHD med that provides stimulant effect. It is used for depression, to stop smoking as well as works with for ADHD. Ask her about that one. It makes me a little angry I can tolerate it but others people can. Good news is you are young I cant tell you how many problems I have had in my life due to my ADHD

Last edited by Jacki222; 11-12-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I just woke up and it need corrections

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki222:
tinkerbell45 (11-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki222 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (11-12-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hi there! I was reading your post and i was very interested in exactly how your dr diagnosed you with AAD?The reason that i ask is because sometimes i think that i may have that on top of the the other symptoms that i suffer from but i don't know the correct way to ask my dr to be tested for it.What were some of the symptoms that you were suffering from?Also do you still take medication(s)for your depression?I appreciate your time in reading my post and i hope to hear from you soon as my next dr.appt is on November 22nd.Until next time TAKE CARE!!!

Tinkerbell45

Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
(male)

justin654 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell45 View Post
Hi there! I was reading your post and i was very interested in exactly how your dr diagnosed you with AAD?The reason that i ask is because sometimes i think that i may have that on top of the the other symptoms that i suffer from but i don't know the correct way to ask my dr to be tested for it.What were some of the symptoms that you were suffering from?Also do you still take medication(s)for your depression?I appreciate your time in reading my post and i hope to hear from you soon as my next dr.appt is on November 22nd.Until next time TAKE CARE!!!

Tinkerbell45
Hi there, Basically it was over a course of a couple months. At first it was a long series of questions, She also asked me about my symptoms, I told her about my childhood(Born 2 months early, Drugs played a role), Then put me on Zoloft because she said Anxiety could also cause ADHD like symptoms. After a month, I told her that I still have my symptoms. She then put me on a mood stabilizer, Can't remember the exact name, No results with that. Then a blood test to see if I had thyroid issues, Came back negative. After these visits, She would keep asking me to describe my symptoms. She then got some paper, asked some questions, And based on my answers and symptoms she got the result of ADHD. I don't have depression so I unfortunately can't help you there. I take 25mg of zoloft daily for anxiety still along with my 2 doses of Ritalin.

My advice to you is to just explain the symptoms you've been having and then ask if she/he believes it could be ADHD/ADD. She/He will do the rest. Don't expect instant results, I'm sure it will be trial and error with medications first.

My symptoms included:
Constant random thoughts. Almost like...I'm not sure how to explain it but my mind is constantly going, Constantly thinking. Especially before sleep. Which made me not be able to sleep.

Focus, I couldn't stay on task long enough to do anything. Mostly became aware of this at work, Manager kept telling me to stay on one thing, And kept asking why I was jumping from task to task. Also with any sort of PC games. I got bored VERY quickly with all of them.

I'm not too sure if this is ADHD related, As I haven't really done research on symptoms, But I never really thought before I spoke or did things. I always just did things impulsively. Especially buying things that catch my eye. Now I have a credit card debt. "Oh, I like that, I don't have the money for it but...BAM." I'd buy it. I often swear a lot, Which could just be me, But I rarely even think about doing it, It just comes out, Also with hurtful things.

Don't even get me started about the internet...I'll hop on the computer to do work on my half-assed website that I've been trying to finish, But can't because I just lose interest. 5 minutes into doing stuff on my site, And I somehow manage to end up watching funny videos or Facebooking. Totally what I didn't go on the computer for.

I have more, But can't think right now. I hope my post was informative. And good luck.

@everyone else who posted, I appreciate all your feedback. My sleep pattern is totally borked right now. I have work to blame for that, But then again before this job I could never sleep in the first place. The main problem I'm having is the Ritalin makes me tired and grouchy after it wears off. I had some very bad nausea the first day I took it, But haven't since. I have been taking the Ritalin before work, And it wears off about an hour or 2 into my shift. I'm gonna let my doctor know about that and hope that it can be upped or I can be put on an extended release. I only keep taking it 2 times a day because I don't want to run out before my next appointment and end up without Ritalin for like a week. It also doesn't give me a MAJOR boost, Just a minor one. Which helps somewhat, And I'm sure that is because the low dose.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

AthenaMercedes HB User

The only advice I can give to you is to ask your doctor to prescribe a slow release ritalin. I was on ritalin as a child it ruined my public school years, but I've heard it has gotten better.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
(male)

justin654 HB User

I'm finding it hard to get the right dosage, I'm still on 5mg twice a day mostly due to the fact my doctors makes me try a medicine for a month before coming back. She seems to think it takes a month for ritalin to work. So here I am, With nothing good coming from the ritalin. I don't have the crash anymore, Nor do I feel the awakeness that I was getting. When I take it now, I feel nothing, Maybe a tiny tiny increase in focus. That's it. So, I guess this is gonna be a LONG process before I hit the right dosage thanks to my doctor scheduling appointments a month at a time.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, if you can afford it, one of the best psychiatrists in NYC is Dr. Jesse Rosenthal. When I was on Adderall, he prescribed it to me.

Unfortunately, he doesn't take insurance. You have to pay cash. Some insurances let you submit claims yourself for out-of-network, or if you have a flexible spending account you can use that money.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
(female)

AthenaMercedes HB User

I no longer have the depression. I don't take meds for it because I learned how to control my ADHD.

Closed Thread