It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
(female)

vic-girl HB User
Unhappy Could I have ADHD/ADD?

I'm nearly 16, in high school, and I was thinking I could have ADD or ADHD. Not just saying that, but I have a lot of the symptoms. Since I was a kid I have always been spacey and a daydreamer, I got in trouble a lot for not concentrating. On my 5th grade report it said I daydreamed to much and I spent to much putting off the work. I got in a lot of trouble for not doing homework and I still do, not cause I dont want to but cause I can't make myself do it. I can't concentrate for long enough to see the long term benefits. At my last parent teacher conference, most my teachers kept going on about how I could try harder, I day dream too much but I try my hardest all the time. Since starting high school, the work has got too much for me, and I just shut down when theres too much pressure. I told the teacher in charge of my grade and she said it sounded like ADHD so she phoned home to my mom and dad but they got angry at me saying there was nothing wrong with me. They said I am to clever to have ADHD and won't take me to the doctor or a psychologist or psychiatrist. I am meant to be an A grade student and apparently I am smart but I don't feel that way, I'm obviously not smart enough to concentrate on school. The only thing I can concentrate on is my music, I always get so wrapped up in that. Otherwise focusing is so hard for me, and I always get made to feel like I am lazy or stupid.

Also, on a different note, I am real bad at math, I am a sophomore but I still can't even tell the time on a clock or do times tables or anything, I get numbers so mixed up and it is really embarrasing, I always have math teachers on at me saying I could get A's in math, but I can't, I'm not just saying that cause I have no confidence in my abilty or whatever I just know I haven't got the ability and it is so frustrating, what do I do??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Could I have ADHD/ADD?

Okay, so every teacher says you daydream, but you hyperfocus on music. That's classic ADHD right there. Everyone says you aren't trying, but you want to, you just can't concentrate.

Your parents, hmmm. Clearly they don't know what ADHD is. What's the best way to communicate with them? Talking directly? Would they read a book or article?

The math thing may be part of ADHD, or it may be a number-related learning disability. Either way, you need it identified and treated now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (11-23-2011), vic-girl (12-09-2011)
Closed Thread