It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Adderall vs. Ritalin

This week so far so good
up to 7.5 mg a day
I seem to be tolerating the med much better.
Getting things done. Making good choices.
Still it's a slow process. I know nothing is an overnight success.
Being positive is becoming easier and that is so important for everyone
but I think especially for US with these ADD challenges.
I am all for celebrating every little accomplishment!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you stressless. I'm still without meds but working hard to learn about how my brain works. I'm also striving to incorporate daily exercise and positive thinking into my daily life. It's helpful, but I'm hoping to get back on meds soon.

Aaron

The Following User Says Thank You to addventurous For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (12-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeree View Post
I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you stressless. I'm still without meds but working hard to learn about how my brain works. I'm also striving to incorporate daily exercise and positive thinking into my daily life. It's helpful, but I'm hoping to get back on meds soon.

Aaron

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
addventurous (12-08-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #19
(female)

Worked my way up to 10mg
yesterday and today so far so good without any real sour affects.
It is about that PMS time and can say I have been about the same.
I think the adderall was such a low dose so far that it hasn't really benefitted me all that much as yet. It kinda has felt like I have been PMSing all along slightly anyway with the gentle moodiness. I have cried at least once a day. Not yet today though. And not for long. It just easier to think of something sad, but just as quick the thought is gone and I'm done 5mins. fine
Let's see if 10mgs will up the game a bit and move me to action!

I am so happy to say!!!
That my blood pressure is better with the med...ironic ???
I put on some weight since last year for a number of reasons...
at my last GP visit (June) my BP was avg. like 138/90 and not changing with other things
I rarely ever have coffee or the like anymore and I have increased my cardio/exercise routine.... I lost 8lbs
I know it's not seriously high, but since starting a stimulant I still had my concerns.
I got my beloved Memere's old (it's not old) blood pressure cuff and have been taking my BP these last couple days....here's my discoveries:

Last week I was still taking 7.5 mg BP was still: 129/90 & 138/85
yesterday late afternoon a 10 mg day was: 135/83
132/81
128/81
131/75
ya know I had to keep checking it...

This morning when I got up I checked it and it was 138/89
after my gym time it was 136/87
about half an hour after my 10mg adderall 132/83
132/82
128/75
What I'm thinking is the med is diverting the blood to my brain where it's needed and making my heart's job easier??
Makes sense?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
(female)

gamergirlZimbar HB User

I was diagnosed with ADD a year ago. The first medication my doctor prescribed was the brand Vyvanse. I'm not very drug-tolerant, so just 20 mg of it made me a little too wired. There's something about the brand name, I think they put some sort of extra chemical in it to make the effects stronger. 10 mg of generic Adderall XR was too little, and I often found myself getting distracted. Now I'm on 15 mg and it's just right. I've been taking it for almost a year now and it's helped me focus every day.
On my time of the month, I'm a little crankier, and prone to being a little more lazy, but I blame that on cramps. I can't imagine any medication being able to plow through those hormones unless it was specially crafted to do so.
I highly suggest taking a look at a book called "The six types of ADD" by Dr. Daniel Amen. Different ADD medications affect the the different types of ADD in odd ways. What's good for one type is awful for another. He describes the different types, provides case studies, and what worked for them.
Good Luck!

Last edited by gamergirlZimbar; 12-15-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: forgot

The Following User Says Thank You to gamergirlZimbar For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #21
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamergirlZimbar View Post
I was diagnosed with ADD a year ago. The first medication my doctor prescribed was the brand Vyvanse. I'm not very drug-tolerant, so just 20 mg of it made me a little too wired. There's something about the brand name, I think they put some sort of extra chemical in it to make the effects stronger. 10 mg of generic Adderall XR was too little, and I often found myself getting distracted. Now I'm on 15 mg and it's just right. I've been taking it for almost a year now and it's helped me focus every day.
I highly suggest taking a look at a book called "The six types of ADD" by Dr. Daniel Amen. Different ADD medications affect the the different types of ADD in odd ways. What's good for one type is awful for another. He describes the different types, provides case studies, and what worked for them.
Good Luck!
Hi! yeah, I got that book! It's cool...I like the brain pics
today I'm distracted
10mg but...I blame PMS Lol...lots of excuses I have...
yesterday I was sooo productive and my afternoon (today) is so scheduled, I just can't bring myself to stay on task yet..oh well

Thanks for posting your experience with adderall....nice to meet you!

The following user gives a hug of support to LessStress38:
gamergirlZimbar (12-15-2011)
gamergirlZimbar (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

That sounds like a good next book for me to read since I'm still reading his book "Heal Your Brain, Heal Your Life". I've just barely read the first few chapters of it, and I've learned a lot. I've just got to set aside the time to read, and I'm not very good at that at all. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aaron

Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #23
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeree View Post
That sounds like a good next book for me to read since I'm still reading his book "Heal Your Brain, Heal Your Life". I've just barely read the first few chapters of it, and I've learned a lot. I've just got to set aside the time to read, and I'm not very good at that at all. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aaron
Thanks for checking in! With books, my general rule is....hit the index first...see what interests me....then I browse the middle....Then I check out the table of contents! But that's just me
Bonus if the book has pictures and charts, numbered lists and short paragraphs/chapters

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-16-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
(female)

So much for my BP ideal
well I did just have lunch....but
it's hanging around 135/85
not super but not 140/90
mood is good
motivation is good
still at 10mg adderall
side note:
I take a medication for chronic tension headaches and I have been able to decrease my dose remarkably within these past two months.
This is something I have been trying to do for 5 months without success until now.
I must say I have greatly reduced my stress. Realizing that my health is more important than over obligating myself. Not sweating the small stuff is not as easy as it sounds sometimes. Everyday has it's unique challenges. I can only do what I can for today.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #25
(male)

Hi lessstress (boy that's a lot of s's!),
Are you saying that Adderall is causing your BP to increase? That was always something I watched, and it's a good reminder to me to keep an eye on it now that I've begun taking Focalin XR.

That's GREAT to hear about your tension headache medicine and kind of ironic considering that the stimulants I've tried have all given me bad headaches. I'm very glad for you though, as long as you keep a close eye on your BP. I have a heart condition so high BP to me is especially dangerous.

Aaron

Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #26
(female)

Actually my BP was improving....now it's hanging around still
mediocre.
I just have to keep up with the exercise.
Hitting the right intensity is key with the intervals.
When I do that I get a second wind later in the day.
Like an after burn effect. Especially if I have a really good strength training session.
Which I'm finally able to ease back into because I am finally finishing up with PT for my knee and back and neck...
I know I must sound like I have been through the ringer....but it has been a rough couple of years...
Stress and I'm sure untreated ADD has had much to do with my ails....

Upward and onward!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #27
(male)

LessStress,
Out of curiosity and on a high level, what does your weekly exercise routine look like? Me, I'm just trying to get in some cardio on most days at this point. Strength training is on the back burner although I know it's important, too. I think I get burned out on weights because I don't keep a record of what I do. When I do try to track it I get too bogged down in details and never feel like my regiment is enough. I have to work out each and every muscle group and do it well and in perfect form. I seem to have an all-or-nothing mentality.

Aaron

Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #28
(female)

20min moderate-intense cardio (5-6days a week)
20min Strength training is 3 days a week.
stretch in between and after

I like a lifting routine that works more parts at once.

push ups ( work your arms and chest)
lat pull downs (work your arms and back)
Squats and/or lunges (works most all lower body)
Plank for 30sec to a min 3x's for abs

Then another strength day I would :

chest press with dumb bells
seated rows
leg extension machine and/or step ups
abs on swiss ball,crunches

P.S. I don't do bicep/tricep seperate takes to long to do small muscles seperate, I would rather work more together, ya know?

Every month it is important to change a strength program because our bodies get less challenged (we get stronger!!)..I would increase weight and lessen the reps also....

It's one thing I can get really passionate about...I guess because:
1. it's gets me to exert that pent up energy/stress..
2. I can (have to) mix it up enough that I don't get bored
3. (a) find that keeping a written log builds my confidence
(b) can see the gains in strength over time (on paper)
4. muscle fits in jeans easier
5. improves reflex (reaction) time in everyday activities
(really, personal experience, love it)

You could just see how it feels without writing it down....that's how I started out back in 2008
I did keep records for a year and a half and then fizzled out....I'm hoping to start an offical log soon.
Thanks for asking...this post should be just what I need to roll me into steady progress....I have the empty logs printed...I just gotta sharpen the pencils

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-18-2011 at 03:52 AM.

addventurous (12-19-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #29
(female)

Today is a good day so far!
Yesterday was bad.
This rollercoaster is predictable yet not ideal.
My appointment is coming up, thankfully.
blood pressure good today too 109/79
And the sun is shinning!
Still warm for the end of Dec.
Time to get busy! have a great day all!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #30
(female)

Ok it has been decided
No more adderall
*big exhale*
feels like a weight has been lifted
it just seems like it was a heavy med for me
had some Ritalin left and it was like cool water this morning
easy breezy, not a care in the world

could see what needed to get done and my nerves didn't budge
had instant insight, My executive office was open for business!

knowing I have only 4 hours stinks but oh well
I am going on Tuesday to pdoc
she will do what she needs to hopefully I can have something else
ritalin based that can last longer
I sent her a message last night

Closed Thread